testtest

The .41 Magnum: Is the Middle Magnum still relevant?

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
With better ballistic performance than the .357 Magnum, the .41 Magnum also has less recoil than the .44 Magnum. That all sounds good on paper, but in reality, the .41 Magnum never caught on the same way as .357 and .44.

1711042588091.png

From left to right: .44 Special, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum and .45 ACP.

Biggest drawback to the .41 Mag IMHO is there are no true .41-sized guns for it. All 6-shot .41s I know of are built on the same frames as .44s. If the Smith L or Colt Python or Ruger GP100 were made in .41, I'd get interested in it. (And the same applies to the 10mm in revolver.)

Biggest drawback to the .41 Mag IMHO is there are no true .41-sized guns for it. All 6-shot .41s I know of are built on the same frames as .44s. If the Smith L or Colt Python or Ruger GP100 were made in .41, I'd get interested in it. (And the same applies to the 10mm in revolver.)

It would be nice if S&W came out with a 6-shot .41 L-frame…even a 5 shot, like the 669 .44 mag, would work for me…

I am a big fan of the .41 Magnum. It is a great cartridge but it's hamstrung (or at least it was when I owned one) by a lack of variation in bullet weights and types. Then it was 175-180 grain or 210 grain and while the lighter Silvertips were a good load a heavier bullet - 225 - 230 grain - would have been great. It was also hurt early on with that mild lead bullet police load that leaded badly. The problem is that the .44 magnum is so good and so versatile that it is actually a better choice for most people. That said, I never owned a .440 mag but I have had a couple of .41 mags; I had a couple of .45 Colt double action revolvers too. I just like the odd ducks and it seemed everyone had a .357 or .44

I am a big fan of the .41 Magnum. It is a great cartridge but it's hamstrung (or at least it was when I owned one) by a lack of variation in bullet weights and types. Then it was 175-180 grain or 210 grain and while the lighter Silvertips were a good load a heavier bullet - 225 - 230 grain - would have been great. It was also hurt early on with that mild lead bullet police load that leaded badly. The problem is that the .44 magnum is so good and so versatile that it is actually a better choice for most people. That said, I never owned a .440 mag but I have had a couple of .41 mags; I had a couple of .45 Colt double action revolvers too. I just like the odd ducks and it seemed everyone had a .357 or .44
Federal actually makes a thumper of a 260gr Hard Cast load for the .41…

In the late 60's-early 70's LE was looking for a more effective firearm and ammunition. NIJ spent a lot of money researching calibers. Some gun experts like Bill Jordan and Elmer Keith touted the .41 magnum as the ultimate LE revolver. Some departments like San Francisco made that leap, and that inspired the Dirty Harry hardware. In fact the revolver used by Dirty Harry in the movie was a Model 57 .41 magnum, not a .44, which he got later. Recoil was a factor and the .41 never caught on, but it is still a highly effective cartridge against man or beast.

I love my 41, with everything but Remington 210 grain HTP ammo. This stuff is the equivalent of the original issue magnum loads.
With any other load it's a kitten, but HTP takes it to a whole new level of self abuse.

I miss my S&W 657 Classic Hunter. I had it for several years. One of just a handful of guns I regret getting rid of. I had a silver Leopold FX-II 2x20mm handgun scope mounted on it. Took a doe with it. It was a sweet shooter with that 6.5" bbl.

Yup, plus ammo is $$$ and scarce/hard to find. Remember the .41 was designed to be a police weapon, but recoil and weight kept if from ever taking off (sounds like that “other” 40-the 10 mm🙄)

Back