testtest

The All New 30 Super Carry

1. Higher chamber pressure than .30 carbine in a barrel shorter than a Ruger Blackhawk? Anyone here ever light off one of those? This beast is gonna be LOUD. :oops:

2. Wake me after it's been in, say, a dozen gunfights and let me know how it worked.

Hard pass from me--for now, anyway.

I'm curious about the 30 Super, but my level of interest will depend on what guns support the new caliber. I think the .327 Federal Magnum is a well-designed and versatile cartridge. I don't own any .327 firearms because the cartridge was primarily supported by a limited number of fairly expensive revolvers and a few Henry leverguns. I love leverguns, but the .327 doesn't offer a significant enough advantage in a rifle to replace either of my .357 Mag./.38 SPL or .44 Mag carbines.

At this point, I'd say the 30 Super would have to offer something spectacular for me to become an early adopter. My Ruger LCP Max already offers 10-round capacity in a true pocket gun, and several of the micro 9's on the market offer 12-15 round capacity in a highly concealable package. The 30 Super will move up on my list if Federal manages to put lots of it on shelves at lower prices than 9mm or .380 ACP, but I won't hold my breath for that.

1. Higher chamber pressure than .30 carbine in a barrel shorter than a Ruger Blackhawk? Anyone here ever light off one of those? This beast is gonna be LOUD. :oops:

2. Wake me after it's been in, say, a dozen gunfights and let me know how it worked.

Hard pass from me--for now, anyway.
Even with that high of pressure and owning a fn5.7 pistol it's not that loud because there isn't as much volume of gas too push up the decibels/frequency at least for my range of safety. I shoot without hearing protection in both ps90 and fn57. Gas volume per bore volume vs barrel length will lessen/drop frequency, but not decibels. Take a look at 308 based cartridges and shoot from 22 to 33cal and listen too the crack too more of a boom sound.

And not everyone is in love with it:

Some very fair points are made, here. Worth the read.
This is an aside guys. But I can’t help throwing it out. From the article:

“ In the video above, Federal spends time comparing this new round to 45 ACP to show increased capacity and less recoil. I think that this is misleading because 9mm Luger, the closest comparison to this new round, also has higher capacity and less recoil than 45 ACP.” etc etc.

He’s exactly right.

But he also makes a unintended, perhaps subconscious, point:
we can’t seem to do a damm thing involving a pistol without what? 👂
The .45 …..
Not the 9, the .357, 10mm, or .22.

( yeah, I know, i know - it doesn’t matter. But I find it kinda funny that after all this time, our benchmark has hardly changed. Which kinda argues in favor of the benchmark, imho…)

Last edited:
Curious to know what others think about this new round. It says it fills the void between the .380 and 9mm. I wasnt aware of the void but Federal Ammo thinks there is room for this round. One of the selling points is you can get up to two or three cartridges more in some guns. But I have already done that in my Hellcat with the higher capacity mags. So Im left wondering why. Seems to fill a niche that most never knew existed. So what say you my forum friends?
9mm Ultra

I'm curious about the 30 Super, but my level of interest will depend on what guns support the new caliber. I think the .327 Federal Magnum is a well-designed and versatile cartridge. I don't own any .327 firearms because the cartridge was primarily supported by a limited number of fairly expensive revolvers and a few Henry leverguns. I love leverguns, but the .327 doesn't offer a significant enough advantage in a rifle to replace either of my .357 Mag./.38 SPL or .44 Mag carbines.

At this point, I'd say the 30 Super would have to offer something spectacular for me to become an early adopter. My Ruger LCP Max already offers 10-round capacity in a true pocket gun, and several of the micro 9's on the market offer 12-15 round capacity in a highly concealable package. The 30 Super will move up on my list if Federal manages to put lots of it on shelves at lower prices than 9mm or .380 ACP, but I won't hold my breath for that.
You said you wanted spectacular, its brand new. Sorry even after reading all the info I can find thats all I could come up with.

Curious to know what others think about this new round. It says it fills the void between the .380 and 9mm. I wasnt aware of the void but Federal Ammo thinks there is room for this round. One of the selling points is you can get up to two or three cartridges more in some guns. But I have already done that in my Hellcat with the higher capacity mags. So Im left wondering why. Seems to fill a niche that most never knew existed. So what say you my forum friends?
I agree, never realized there was a void. It's the first I've heard of it and read up a little on it. It does seem interesting but I wonder how many manufacturers are planning on making handguns for it in the near future other than the 2 in the article?

The real problem I see is we won't know if we like it or if it really fills the void until we all buy new .30 SC guns and ammo and shoot it up a bunch, so we can talk about it. I guess they got us again lol.

We always want more rounds, with a smaller footprint for CCW, while having more power per round than what we currently have! Hmmm ... I wonder if we'll ever be satified. Lol ... doubt it, we're too curious. We're already believing there's a void. 🤔

I’m interested in giving it a try, but I am a bit skeptical about it “having more energy but less recoil” than 9mm.

It doesn’t work that way…more energy out the front means more energy coming back in the form of recoil (see: Newton’s third law of motion).
I think the reviewers BIGGEST problem with the .30 SC is it's less than the 9mm, that simple. We can debate stopping power all day long but, as we all know, the reality of it is people do carry even smaller calibers. .380, .32, .22, etc. So whether they should or shouldn't carry this really doesn't matter here, its just their personal choice.

So Hans, I agree. it would be interesting to give it a try though I don't have any means to test the ballistics. So I guess I'll read about it here and shoot it for the fun of it if I were to pick one up.

The overall length is the same as the 9mm but it is smaller in diameter than the 32acp.
Diameter of the 30 is .313 the 32 is .3125 as opposed to the 9mm @ .380
More HP with less recoil. But is it worth re outfitting for a new cartridge?
1642517398776.png

I'd be interested if ammo was easily available and around 9mm prices and if they could fit it in a pistol the size of a G42 that was shootable. Pressure says it's unlikely going to be made in a G42 size pistola. I like more rounds, but the difference between 10 and 12 isn't that big of deal especially when you are going to a weaker round. You could probably fit 87 .22's in a Shield Plus mag, but I wouldn't want it for SD. Videos I have seen show recoil is pretty much similar to 9mm in terms of recoil so there is no benefit for those that are recoil sensitive. It will also likely take years for ammo manufacturers to get behind it though Federal's HST may be the best to begin with. I like innovation, but I'm not seeing this beating out my G42's and micro nines. More choices are always good so I'm looking forward in seeing what happens with the .30 SC.

Back