testtest

The Backpack Gun. Why Now?

BET7

Ronin
Founding Member
Chris Baker from LuckyGunner, discusses the aspects for having a backpack gun setup, why doing this might be more prevalent now then in the past, and some ideas he had for his own setup. Chris included some informative links to Greg Ellifritz ( links to articles by Greg Ellifritz ) & a link to an interview with Massad Ayoob ( interview with Massad Ayoob ). This thread post could have been entered under many different categories (EDC for concealment, Gear with backpack & gear on SBR, or Survival for surviving in a violent protest). I had a tough time on what category to select and ended up selecting "GUN", since he does discuss his SBR build he uses for his backpack gun. I found it to be a very interesting video/article.

Not sure I agree with the title of "Backpack Gun" since in my AO a "useful" backpack gun can range from an AR to a short bolt action, but it seems that AR pistols are in the authors category.

I built up a 11.5" AR Pistol in the last year, and while it worked out fine I concluded that there's not much difference between it and a pinned 14.5 in portability. In addition, the noticeable velocity loss is a factor especially in my AO.

Since the whole "brace world" could go away easily with another ATF letter I decided to build up a 14.5 upper, and sold off my 11.5 upper & SB3 brace.

This is an Interesting article though, and I expect a useful "backpack gun" will vary depending on your AO.

My .02

Btw - A friend has an SBR AR PCC using the CMMG Radial Delayed Blowback System and its wonderful.

I don't think I'm a gun nut and I prefer maximum possible firepower for any occasion. It's not always prudent, feasible or realistic, but it is impossible to predetermine if it is warranted.

As some of you may remember I just bought my first AR15. I have shot one before, but I guess I didn't pay excruciatingly close attention to it because when I got mine ( A 16" carbine) I was shocked how small it is. For some reason I thought it would be bigger. Anyway, broke in half it would probably fit in a backpack and definitely fit in any respectable bug out bag.

I enjoy reading over watching videos in case I need to take a break or re-read certain sections and I will say that was very well written, at first I thought another gun nut wanting max fire power for any occasions but he proved me wrong. A lot of good information.
Yeah Keystone, Chris Baker form Lucky Gunner Ammo does really good videos in my opinion. Specifically their Gel Test videos and shooting drills are very well done and some posters on here have linked to them in the past. I recently just watched his "Mouse Gun" series of testing small pocket pistols 380 caliber and below. All of these video can be found under the Lucky Gunner Lounge & Labs and are usually linked to in each video at the bottom like the one linked in this thread post (About Lucky Gunner Lounge & About Lucky Gunner Labs).

I don't think I'm a gun nut and I prefer maximum possible firepower for any occasion. It's not always prudent, feasible or realistic, but it is impossible to predetermine if it is warranted.

As some of you may remember I just bought my first AR15. I have shot one before, but I guess I didn't pay excruciatingly close attention to it because when I got mine ( A 16" carbine) I was shocked how small it is. For some reason I thought it would be bigger. Anyway, broke in half it would probably fit in a backpack and definitely fit in any respectable bug out bag.
As you get more into it Bassbob, you can always swap uppers for longer barrels 18", 20", 22", 24", etc., in the same or different calibers. Different calibers that can fit your AR15 lower may require different Bolt, Mags, etc., but you'll have many possibilities.

It's the same way I fell in ;). Load of fun though, trust me.

Oh I know. I was just kidding. I got a foot and an arm down the hole already.

I really have tried to put thoughts of swapping uppers out of my mind. I intend to build a few, maybe buy a few more. I kinda want to keep this little guy the way it is though. I like the idea of a working class rifle I can toss behind the seat of my truck. Ya screwed the sight up? Big deal, it's a $140 Romeo 5. :cool:

Oh I know. I was just kidding. I got a foot and an arm down the hole already.

I really have tried to put thoughts of swapping uppers out of my mind. I intend to build a few, maybe buy a few more. I kinda want to keep this little guy the way it is though. I like the idea of a working class rifle I can toss behind the seat of my truck. Ya screwed the sight up? Big deal, it's a $140 Romeo 5. :cool:
Yeah, I hear ya. I've bought numerous uppers in different calibers (all came with appropriate bolt control groups), then wanted all to have their very own lowers :unsure:. Some, like my 50 Beowulf, 458 SOCOM, and 450 Bushmaster, I bought heavier stocks for better recoil control. Individual magazines for these added to the cost and in these cases, ammo wasn't cheap.

Yeah, I hear ya. I've bought numerous uppers in different calibers (all came with appropriate bolt control groups), then wanted all to have their very own lowers :unsure:. Some, like my 50 Beowulf, 458 SOCOM, and 450 Bushmaster, I bought heavier stocks for better recoil control. Individual magazines for these added to the cost and in these cases, ammo wasn't cheap.

See that's what I'm thinking. Particularly when swapping calibers. I'd like a 6.5 Creedmore or a .308 for long range, but I want it to have it's own dedicated lower and stock. Also an appropriate scope obviously.

I guess if I had bought a pistol I could see getting a 14.5" or a 16" upper as a companion piece. Initially I was after a pistol. And I was going to buy one even after I bought the rifle, but once I actually held the little guy in my loving arms I decided I didn't need a pistol. Jesus, this thing is shorter than my short shotguns.

See that's what I'm thinking. Particularly when swapping calibers. I'd like a 6.5 Creedmore or a .308 for long range, but I want it to have it's own dedicated lower and stock. Also an appropriate scope obviously.

I guess if I had bought a pistol I could see getting a 14.5" or a 16" upper as a companion piece. Initially I was after a pistol. And I was going to buy one even after I bought the rifle, but once I actually held the little guy in my loving arms I decided I didn't need a pistol. Jesus, this thing is shorter than my short shotguns.
Lots of possibilities and combinations. The 308 and 6.5 would require AR10 lowers but basically fit together like ar15's. Just be careful with the pistol ARs if you get into that. The ATF has a lot of regulations on them (braces not stocks or it's classified as a Short barreled Rifle (SRB), requiring tax stamp and ATF forms, no vertical grips on pistols (but angle grip is ok), may have overall length restrictions if it's a pistol, but I'm not really sure). Like Tayln mentioned in a post, ATF is constantly changing regulations as one day braces are legal another day they decide they're not. I'm not an expert on all these regs, so others may know more if you have questions during your builds.

This is why I like bullpups; my AUG with a 16” barrel is the same length as my buddy’s 7.5” SBR with the stock collapsed.

If KelTecs RDB was a little better, accuracy-wise, I’d have one for the “backpack” role.

Lots of possibilities and combinations. The 308 and 6.5 would require AR10 lowers but basically fit together like ar15's. Just be careful with the pistol ARs if you get into that. The ATF has a lot of regulations on them (braces not stocks or it's classified as a Short barreled Rifle (SRB), requiring tax stamp and ATF forms, no vertical grips on pistols (but angle grip is ok), may have overall length restrictions if it's a pistol, but I'm not really sure). Like Tayln mentioned in a post, ATF is constantly changing regulations as one day braces are legal another day they decide they're not. I'm not an expert on all these regs, so others may know more if you have questions during your builds.

Yeah and you can't buy or build a rifle and then convert to a pistol, but you can go the other way, pistol to a rifle. It's like the having your buddy drill and mill your 80%er rule. By that I mean how would they know, nevertheless I wouldn't push my luck with those guys. At least not until my niece secures her spot with the FBI. lol

This is why I like bullpups; my AUG with a 16” barrel is the same length as my buddy’s 7.5” SBR with the stock collapsed.

If KelTecs RDB was a little better, accuracy-wise, I’d have one for the “backpack” role.

Someone described one of their "AR" type weapons as a "Dumpster fire". I forget which one, but the guy who said that knows what he's talking about. I never considered them. I do have a KSG25 that I love, but their rifles and handguns are ugly as hell.

Someone described one of their "AR" type weapons as a "Dumpster fire". I forget which one, but the guy who said that knows what he's talking about. I never considered them. I do have a KSG25 that I love, but their rifles and handguns are ugly as hell.
Probably their SU16 folder. Never impressed me much.

I will say—their Sub2000 is ugly AF, and the top folding makes optics difficult...but beyond that? Decently accurate, lightweight...my buddy uses one in .40 for his trunk/backpack/BO gun.

I’ve always thought their CMR30 .22 mag would make a decent backpack rifle....22 Mag is a pretty solid little performer out of a rifle.

Back