testtest

The Backpack Gun. Why Now?

My backpack gun is a Marlin Guide Gun Stainless steel in 45/70. I use it in many hunting trips in Alaska, never needed a second shot to finish a animal. From moose to bears never let me down. I don't know what kind of backpacking you guys do that you need a AR.
Specifically this video touches on whether a backpack gun would be beneficial in these times with violent protests and such, for potential additional protection. It's not recommending one does this per say, just going over this hypothetical question with options.

Specifically this video touches on whether a backpack gun would be beneficial in these times with violent protests and such, for potential additional protection. It's not recommending one does this per say, just going over this hypothetical question with options.

Yeah, angry, masked, armed homosexuals in downtown St. Louis are far different than whatever TF I would need protection from 15 miles north of Anchorage.

My backpack rifle is a Charter Arms AR-7 .22 LR semi-auto that comes apart and stores in it's floating stock. It has been to Alaska with me on several trips. Makes a great survival or small game rifle. I think Henry Rifle Company manufacture them now.

See that's what I'm thinking. Particularly when swapping calibers. I'd like a 6.5 Creedmore or a .308 for long range, but I want it to have it's own dedicated lower and stock. Also an appropriate scope obviously.

I guess if I had bought a pistol I could see getting a 14.5" or a 16" upper as a companion piece. Initially I was after a pistol. And I was going to buy one even after I bought the rifle, but once I actually held the little guy in my loving arms I decided I didn't need a pistol. Jesus, this thing is shorter than my short shotguns.
Interestingly, I just came across this article today, (and since we started discussing it), figured I'd post it just for anyone's information sake. The author states that you need to stay under barrel lengths of 16" and overall firearm length of 26", but a commentor in the article disputed the barrel length claim, indicating there's no restriction.

Interestingly, I just came across this article today, (and since we started discussing it), figured I'd post it just for anyone's information sake. The author states that you need to stay under barrel lengths of 16" and overall firearm length of 26", but a commentor in the article disputed the barrel length claim, indicating there's no restriction.

Thats for a rifle 16' barrel OAL 26". Not pistols

Thats for a rifle 16' barrel OAL 26". Not pistols
Well according to the article, Pistols have length restrictions that keep them pistols and not Short Barreled Rifles (regardless if it's a stock or brace). At least that's my take on what the author is inferring. When I ordered 2 PSA AR lowers ( AR9 & AR15 w/collapsible stocks), my FFL friend asked what I was going to use the AR9 for. I mentioned I had bought a 16" PSA 9mm upper and would put it on that. He said "that's going to make it a SBR". I asked why, since it's not a braced AR9 lower, and he corrected him self saying he forgot it was a Stocked AR9, so I'd be OK. Hence I knew that there must be restrictions/regulations on Pistol AR lengths Vs Rifle AR lengths.

Interesting. If I ever build a pistol I will definitely make sure I have the right information.

Interesting. If I ever build a pistol I will definitely make sure I have the right information.
Yup @Bassbob, that’s the correct way to go. I came across 2 separate articles on the net, (3 if you count the one previously), that also said to keep the barrel under 16” for AR pistols. The ATF seems to have classifications depending on length, etc.(Any Other Weapon (AOW), Non-NFA weapon, Firearm), It’s similar to the ATF Classifying the Mossberg Shockwave & Remington TAC13 & TAC 14 “Firearms” and not shotguns, because by their definition, a shotgun must have a stock (instead of the bird head grips these two firearms use). Many people have different interpretations of ATF regs & it’s prudent to do ones research delving into these type of builds as you say.

Yup @Bassbob, that’s the correct way to go. I came across 2 separate articles on the net, (3 if you count the one previously), that also said to keep the barrel under 16” for AR pistols. The ATF seems to have classifications depending on length, etc.(Any Other Weapon (AOW), Non-NFA weapon, Firearm), It’s similar to the ATF Classifying the Mossberg Shockwave & Remington TAC13 & TAC 14 “Firearms” and not shotguns, because by their definition, a shotgun must have a stock (instead of the bird head grips these two firearms use). Many people have different interpretations of ATF regs & it’s prudent to do ones research delving into these type of builds as you say.

Yeah I have to admit I was a little taken aback when I started seeing 14" barrels on shotguns. As much as I hate Remington 870s I am tempted to buy one of these Tac 14s.

Yeah I have to admit I was a little taken aback when I started seeing 14" barrels on shotguns. As much as I hate Remington 870s I am tempted to buy one of these Tac 14s.
One of them has a 13” barrel. Maybe it the TAC 13, which is a semi auto. I got both the Shockwave & TAC 14 but both with the detachable magazines. Quicker to load, and with the shockwave, more capacity than the mag tube version.

One of them has a 13” barrel. Maybe it the TAC 13, which is a semi auto. I got both the Shockwave & TAC 14 but both with the detachable magazines. Quicker to load, and with the shockwave, more capacity than the mag tube version.

Yep, if they could up the capacity a little I would be all over the Tac13. I dislike shotguns with detachable box magazines. It seems they are limited for capacity with a 13" barrel. Nevertheless, 5 rounds and a shell card is likely all that would be necessary. I'm still holding out for an SRM 1216 though.

The .300blk AR is a great rifle caliber option for a backpack gun because the .300blk will reach full velocity out of a 9in barrel having full burned its powder by the time the bullet exits the muzzle where a 5.56 needs a 20in barrel for full powder burn.

If you get a Law folding adapter you can fold your AR pistol for a nice neat little package to easily fit in a backpack. I know a few guys in my area that have been carrying this way for a while now.

Last edited:
I have two AR Pistols, but I'm not sure how easily I could fit then into anything other than an outdoor/camping style backpack. I picked up a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 just out of curiosity a few years back. The Sub2k is fun to play with at the range, and could fit comfortably into a backpack or messenger bag. I'm not sure that I would ever carry it that way because I'm not convinced that it would provide a significant advantage over any of my full-sized pistols with extra mags. I may have to reconsider the idea of a backpack gun if these mostly peaceful riots that I've been reading about start spreading to my neck of the woods.

I have two AR Pistols, but I'm not sure how easily I could fit then into anything other than an outdoor/camping style backpack. I picked up a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 just out of curiosity a few years back. The Sub2k is fun to play with at the range, and could fit comfortably into a backpack or messenger bag. I'm not sure that I would ever carry it that way because I'm not convinced that it would provide a significant advantage over any of my full-sized pistols with extra mags. I may have to reconsider the idea of a backpack gun if these mostly peaceful riots that I've been reading about start spreading to my neck of the woods.

AR pistols broken down would fit in a child's school back pack.

Back