testtest

The Best Bear Defense Handguns of 2023

Lexie__M

Custom
Final Thoughts on the Best Bear Defense Handguns

There is no single best bear defense handgun for everyone. It’s important to understand that even the best or most powerful handgun falls well short of a big rifle’s power. A bear attack is guaranteed to be a dynamic encounter with innumerable variables.

What’s certain is that if you want to have a real chance to stop a bear attack with a handgun, you need to be carrying it—even when you don’t expect an encounter. You need to carry it so that it can be drawn quickly and easily. Another certainty is that you need to be able to draw and shoot accurately. Choosing a handgun that you’re comfortable and proficient with is better than just chasing power. Finally, train with your bear defense handgun like your life depends on it, because it might.

www.outdoorlife.com

Even the best bear defense handguns are a last resort to stop an attack, but picking the right one for you is still critical.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/best-bear-defense-handguns/

The opinion of a flatlander: If there were big bears around where I hunt I'd sleep in and stay out of the woods.
1694989670964.png

I, Hatchet Jack, being of sound mind and broke legs, do leaveth my bear rifle to whatever finds it. Lord hope it be a white man. It is a good rifle, and kilt the bear that kilt me. Anyway, I am dead. Yours truly, Hatchet Jack.

1694990026368.png

According to the movie, JJ's Hawkens were .30 & .50 (Hatchet Jacks) but both of mine are .54s (Pedersoli & CVA).

Jim Bridger's .40 cal. Hawken is here...in Pinedale, WY.

Last edited:
View attachment 43798

I, Hatchet Jack, being of sound mind and broke legs, do leaveth my bear rifle to whatever finds it. Lord hope it be a white man. It is a good rifle, and kilt the bear that kilt me. Anyway, I am dead. Yours truly, Hatchet Jack.

View attachment 43799

According to the movie, JJ's Hawkens were .30 & .50 (Hatchet Jacks) but both of mine are .54s (Pedersoli & CVA).

I have a pair of .50 Cal Hawkens. Built by my dad from Thompson Center kits. He did this 100% because of this movie.

View attachment 43798

View attachment 43799

Damn he was a wild one, old Hatchet Jack. He was livin' two year in a cave up on the Musselshell with a female panther. She never did get used to him.

My favorite movie all time.

I still go back and forth on whether it's better to have a more powerful caliber, or whether it's better to have a lot more of a caliber that's probably good enough.

On the one hand, there's the argument that you will likely only have a few seconds to get a few shots off, if an 800-lb pissed-off fur missile is coming at you at 35 mph.

On the other hand, that may not be the case, and you may have more time. You're also very likely not going to have time to reload a revolver, if those six shots don't do the trick (because some of them likely miss under duress).

I don't buy into the notion that 10mm offers ".357 Mag power" and of course 10mm doesn't come close to 44 Mag. But on the other hand, I know for a fact I can put twice as many rounds on target in the same amount of time with my semi-auto in 10mm than I can with a Magnum double action revolver and full-power loads.

And so the internal debate continues...and I hope I never have to put it to the test.

Back