testtest

THE EDC KNIFE

Really enjoyed your comments and I agree with your assessment of knives in the real world. In my LEO career I worked in areas where the knife culture was alive and well. I saw a lot of stabbings and handled many homicides with the knife as the weapon. As a Marine, I spent some time in the Philippines so I know what you’re talking about with that technique/discipline very effective. Your classes sound very interesting and something that I would enjoy going through. I’m always eager to learn from other people to gain more knowledge. Feel free to message me privately on anything you feel would be helpful and that I can train on. Thanks for your input.
Thanks for the good words. I'm retired so I log in here pretty often. Feel free to message me or email me.

People from knife cultures(Filipino, Hispanic) have a code of respect. You earn their respect by being honest and controlling your fear. And also by being consistent. Another thing is that no matter how violent things get, you try to be as polite as possible. If you do that, you'll notice that down the road a person you were that way with tell others in the barrio that you're straight up guy. And that will help you in many good ways...:)

I don't like what knives can do to a body but I do enjoy knife training that includes trapping, sweeps, etc.. This is sometimes called "Tapi-Tapi" or Hubud in Escrima. In this kind of training understanding angles and entering at the right angle or exiting at a good angle that minimizes you getting cut. We learned to expect to get cut, while trying hard to avoid getting cut, if that makes sense.

I have had guys pull knives on me when I worked as an armed security officer. On one occasion, I created distance, drew my firearm, and watched the bad guy throw the knife on the ground and run Forrest run.

One time I was in a park in Reynosa, Mexico and the local guys didn't like how I could speak good Spanish for being a white boy(I'm adopted). They also didn't take too kindly to me flirting with some of the local senoritas. I was young and dumb and such. I barely made it to the border crossing. Never ran so fast in my whole life. I was lucky that day...:) I've had unique experiences with white and hispanic people who could be dangerous. Being able to run fast is a highly underrated skill. Learning to keep your mouth shut and not stare directly at some people are good skills also...:)

Good training will save you and you'll sometimes go on automatic pilot and do things you didn't realize you did until later.

I have pretty heavy hands from all the Boxing training I did before I got serious about martial arts training in the early '80's. Even at 64 years young I still have to monitor how hard I train students because I hit harder than I mean to.

My sifu's and guro's used to tell me, "Frank, you'll know your body mechanics are getting decent when you can hit hard without trying to." I still have a ways to go but I've enjoyed and enjoy the journey...:)

One of my favorite people and one of my instructors, guro Bob Orlando, a fellow Marine, died from ALS in 2016. He really helped me with my body mechanics and understanding techniques and such. Look him up on youtube, he's one of the best I've ever had the honor of training with. We'd train in martial arts and then joke about the Marine Corps...:) I still practice a lot of the stuff he taught me...:)

I attended many guro Dan Inosanto seminars in the Dallas area in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's. Guro Inosanto is another great guy to watch on youtube. He's very good and very humble. He's also one of Bruce Lee's students and he trained with Ed Parker(I have a 4th degree black belt in Ed Parker Kenpo Karate...:)) Guro Inosanto is also Kenpo black belt, in addition to his JKD and Escrima knowledge. I've done Hubud and trapping drills with guro Inosanto. That's another highlight of my martial arts journey....:))

I was on the USS Tripoli in Subic Bay PI in '77-'78(31st MAU). San Miguel Beer in Olangapo, what could go wrong...:) Some words in Tagalog(Filipino) are the same in Spanish. I used to love joking around with some Filipinos. Spanish is my first language and it came in handy when I was in Subic Bay...:) Semper Fi...:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the good words. I'm retired so I log in here pretty often. Feel free to message me or email me.

People from knife cultures(Filipino, Hispanic) have a code of respect. You earn their respect by being honest and controlling your fear. And also by being consistent. Another thing is that no matter how violent things get, you try to be as polite as possible. If you do that, you'll notice that down the road a person you were that way with tell others in the barrio that you're straight up guy. And that will help you in many good ways...:)

I don't like what knives can do to a body but I do enjoy knife training that includes trapping, sweeps, etc.. This is sometimes called "Tapi-Tapi" or Hubud in Escrima. In this kind of training understanding angles and entering at the right angle or exiting at a good angle that minimizes you getting cut. We learned to expect to get cut, while trying hard to avoid getting cut, if that makes sense.

I have had guys pull knives on me when I worked as an armed security officer. On one occasion, I created distance, drew my firearm, and watched the bad guy throw the knife on the ground and run Forrest run.

One time I was in a park in Reynosa, Mexico and the local guys didn't like how I could speak good Spanish for being a white boy(I'm adopted). They also didn't take too kindly to me flirting with some of the local senoritas. I was young and dumb and such. I barely made it to the border crossing. Never ran so fast in my whole life. I was lucky that day...:) I've had unique experiences with white and hispanic people who could be dangerous. Being able to run fast is a highly underrated skill. Learning to keep your mouth shut and not stare directly at some people are good skills also...:)

Good training will save you and you'll sometimes go on automatic pilot and do things you didn't realize you did until later.

I have pretty heavy hands from all the Boxing training I did before I got serious about martial arts training in the early '80's. Even at 64 years young I still have to monitor how hard I train students because I hit harder than I mean to.

My sifu's and guro's used to tell me, "Frank, you'll know your body mechanics are getting decent when you can hit hard without trying to." I still have a ways to go but I've enjoyed and enjoy the journey...:)

One of my favorite people and one of my instructors, guro Bob Orlando, a fellow Marine, died from ALS in 2016. He really helped me with my body mechanics and understanding techniques and such. Look him up on youtube, he's one of the best I've ever had the honor of training with. We'd train in martial arts and then joke about the Marine Corps...:) I still practice a lot of the stuff he taught me...:)

I attended many guro Dan Inosanto seminars in the Dallas area in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's. Guro Inosanto is another great guy to watch on youtube. He's very good and very humble. He's also one of Bruce Lee's students and he trained with Ed Parker(I have a 4th degree black belt in Ed Parker Kenpo Karate...:)) Guro Inosanto is also Kenpo black belt, in addition to his JKD and Escrima knowledge. I've done Hubud and trapping drills with guro Inosanto. That's another highlight of my martial arts journey....:))

I was on the USS Tripoli in Subic Bay PI in '77-'78(31st MAU). San Miguel Beer in Olangapo, what could go wrong...:) Some words in Tagalog(Filipino) are the same in Spanish. I used to love joking around with some Filipinos. Spanish is my first language and it came in handy when I was in Subic Bay...:) Semper Fi...:)
Thanks for the info on those instructors I will look them up. It’s a small world, I too was in Subic Bay during that time assigned to the 3rd Amphibious Assault Bn out of 3rd Marines Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii aboard the USS Racine (LSD). I recall the San Miguel and of course the MOJO drink among other things I can’t mention on this site. Anyway, thanks again and I enjoyed reading about your experiences because that’s real world stuff that happens in both personal and professional environments

Thanks for the info on those instructors I will look them up. It’s a small world, I too was in Subic Bay during that time assigned to the 3rd Amphibious Assault Bn out of 3rd Marines Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii aboard the USS Racine (LSD). I recall the San Miguel and of course the MOJO drink among other things I can’t mention on this site. Anyway, thanks again and I enjoyed reading about your experiences because that’s real world stuff that happens in both personal and professional environments
You're welcome sir. Subic Bay was a great place to be young...:)

I grew up in the macho culture of the South Texas Border(Rio Grande Valley). I moved back almost 2 years ago. And though it still has some dangerous areas, overall the Rio Grande Valley is better to live in than it was when I was growing up here in the 60's and 70's. I enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1976.

People are people. Some are good. Some are bad. We don't win, we survive. In many of the Asian martial arts the good instructors are picky about who they train because some American martial artists are a little too cocky.

In Escrima training if you keep things basic. I usually only focus on 5 basic angles and then expand to the 36 angles (12 front, 12 back, 12 side) once the student has developed a certain level of skill. You also learn the 2 basic knife grips(Earth - blade pointed down. Heaven - blade pointed to the sky). Each grip has advantages and disadvantages. Lots of little things to learn.... but lots of fun...:) I did Escrima footwork drills this morning and they gave my quadriceps a good workout...:)

In Escrima you don't step straight back, you step to either 1:30, 3, 4:30, 7:30, 9, or 10:30. Remember that a person can move faster going forward toward you than you can move going back. So if you step straight back the attacker can be on you quick. If you learn to step at an angle(and that takes a lot of practice to do under stress) you buy time because you force the attacker to have to change direction.

You're welcome sir. Subic Bay was a great place to be young...:)

I grew up in the macho culture of the South Texas Border(Rio Grande Valley). I moved back almost 2 years ago. And though it still has some dangerous areas, overall the Rio Grande Valley is better to live in than it was when I was growing up here in the 60's and 70's. I enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1976.

People are people. Some are good. Some are bad. We don't win, we survive. In many of the Asian martial arts the good instructors are picky about who they train because some American martial artists are a little too cocky.

In Escrima training if you keep things basic. I usually only focus on 5 basic angles and then expand to the 36 angles (12 front, 12 back, 12 side) once the student has developed a certain level of skill. You also learn the 2 basic knife grips(Earth - blade pointed down. Heaven - blade pointed to the sky). Each grip has advantages and disadvantages. Lots of little things to learn.... but lots of fun...:) I did Escrima footwork drills this morning and they gave my quadriceps a good workout...:)

In Escrima you don't step straight back, you step to either 1:30, 3, 4:30, 7:30, 9, or 10:30. Remember that a person can move faster going forward toward you than you can move going back. So if you step straight back the attacker can be on you quick. If you learn to step at an angle(and that takes a lot of practice to do under stress) you buy time because you force the attacker to have to change direction.
Yes I get you mean with the movement. A studied a little with Steve Tarani who came to our Department for some classes. Then later with an instructor at Camp Pendleton who was teaching Force Recon Marines this very violent knife take downs/sentry removal. This was crazy stuff and the stealth movement to the target was very intense training. I always respected knives but this class gave a whole new perspective on using knives. I was a SWAT officer at the time and was invited to take this class with a buddy of mine who knew the instructor. What I learned in these classes probably saved my life. I encountered a suspect who I saw was palming with his right hand. Had I not received some of this training and recognized what he was doing I'm sure this guy would have had me as he was closing the distance with me . I immediately drew my weapon and had him lay prone facing away from me. The search revealed he had a Gerber brand dagger all set up for the reverse grip in his hand covered by a long sleeve shirt. The sad thing about this is the average Officer does not receive this type of training unless you are in a specialized unit. Fortunately, I was able to convince my Chief that this was needed training using my incident to make the case.

Yes I get you mean with the movement. A studied a little with Steve Tarani who came to our Department for some classes. Then later with an instructor at Camp Pendleton who was teaching Force Recon Marines this very violent knife take downs/sentry removal. This was crazy stuff and the stealth movement to the target was very intense training. I always respected knives but this class gave a whole new perspective on using knives. I was a SWAT officer at the time and was invited to take this class with a buddy of mine who knew the instructor. What I learned in these classes probably saved my life. I encountered a suspect who I saw was palming with his right hand. Had I not received some of this training and recognized what he was doing I'm sure this guy would have had me as he was closing the distance with me . I immediately drew my weapon and had him lay prone facing away from me. The search revealed he had a Gerber brand dagger all set up for the reverse grip in his hand covered by a long sleeve shirt. The sad thing about this is the average Officer does not receive this type of training unless you are in a specialized unit. Fortunately, I was able to convince my Chief that this was needed training using my incident to make the case.
I always carry a knife(and most times a handgun) and I train with them almost daily. The knife I carry that day depends on the environment I'm going to be in.

I have known and trained officers from different levels of law enforcement. I had a student who is a federal officer and wore a t-shirt to class with A-R-M-Y on it because he said as a Marine I needed help with my ABCs...:) We used to train very intensely and a couple of times he hit me so hard I felt it for a little while afterwards..:) There's a lot to be said to be able to function when you're dazed from being hit (or pepper sprayed, etc.)

You usually learn a lot more when classes are relaxed but can also be intense. What I've always enjoyed about the martial arts training(sparring, drills, weapons, etc.) is that you can have all the theory in the world but what you can do when the pressure is on. Nowadays there's good training gear so you can train hard and not get hurt too bad.

I worked security jobs in Lower Greenville (Dallas) armed and unarmed in the late 1980's and some of the 1990's on weekends. I was really into kickboxing and Escrima training. When I was working and things got physical the actual fight was less intense than the hard core training sessions we did back then.

If you train smart and hard, when you have to use the training in your line of work you usually survive it more easily than if you don't train hard.

Growing up as white boy near the Mexican border and having Spanish as my first language I learned about the Hispanic macho and knife cultures. And I tried to pass on that knowledge to all of my students, especially those who worked in law enforcement or security. A lot of the guys I dealt with growing up would go from 0-100 pretty quickly and the way the violence would escalate would surprise most people who weren't used to that kind of intensity.

That's why understanding distance, range, and positioning are very important. I went to a Mexican restaurant I like to visit that's not more than 15 miles from the Mexican border. There's a 2 person table I like to sit at that allows me to see anything coming into the restaurant(even though it's a pretty mellow place).

As I walked to the table 2 plainclothes police officers noticed me(they were wearing badges on their belts and had Glocks on their hips). I made eye contact and gave them respect in a subtle way and they gave me subtle respect back. I was legally armed and also had a knife. It was a good, peaceful meal...:)

There's a lot more to self-defense than carrying a weapon, being in shape, etc. It's good to monitor your attitude and control your fear and anger. Good training should encompass these aspects. I'm a big fan of scenario training. I also believe that humor is an important aspect in training because we all screw up. And some of the best things you learn are from making mistakes during training and surviving the mistake(s) in real life situations.

i have carried a pocket knife since I was in the 4th grade (1960). I know nothing about knife fighting. Knives to me are tools and I use them everyday. I carry a Case Stockman and a Gerber Diesel multitool. When I am camping or hunting, I also carry a Kephart fixed blade made by K-Bar. Sometimes I will carry my US Army K-Bar.

13898A45-D465-4CF7-9DA1-016342561F95.jpeg

Speaking of CRK…just picked up this Pacific.

Very nice, looks to be all business no unwanted clutter. Nice full tang, great grip texture, no saw teeth or serrations, no huge double tine guard to interfere with choking up for delicate tasks. High speed low drag.
Hey Sid, just a dumb question from one who is ignorant: What is the "drawback" or negative aspect to serrations on the base of knife blade?

I am not a knife guy. I have many that are used for utility at home and work...I do not EDC a blade. I've fallen in love with a folding knife with a serrated blade base for a variety of things...the teeth cut polypropylene plastic better than my other tools (knives)...it just seems like a great feature and it is a knife I find more useful than some others...

Hey Sid, just a dumb question from one who is ignorant: What is the "drawback" or negative aspect to serrations on the base of knife blade?

I am not a knife guy. I have many that are used for utility at home and work...I do not EDC a blade. I've fallen in love with a folding knife with a serrated blade base for a variety of things...the teeth cut polypropylene plastic better than my other tools (knives)...it just seems like a great feature and it is a knife I find more useful than some others...

It's a bias I have found in 40 years of knife study and making.

The biggest drawback I find is they need to kept very clean if the knife is ever used in any game cleaning or food preparation. They are a great place for germs to breed. Most people just tend to wipe down a blade with a cloth which does not clean out serrations.

Another issue is how the serrations are ground into a blade. If they leave sharp squared edges more like saw teeth they can become stress risers where over time can create cracks. Which is why I dislike most saw teeth.

All that said one of my favorite carry pocket knives was a Spyderco Cricket serrated blade it cut like a demon.

Is the lanyard good or bad? I just recently added that. I should probably take it off.
The big problem I could see is if it is left dangling getting it caught on something and pulling the knife free of the sheath. A possibility no matter how dlifht of losing your blade, especially around water. A big crab is wearing a fine Citizen watch when I popped a pin when sailing one time and it fell into the depths of Lake Huron.

Back