testtest

The Everywhere Rifle?

Nice article on two of my favorite rifles that I've owned, used and rehabilitated (M1Gs) for decades.

However, the article "assumes" that both M1A and M1 Garand will never be labeled as assault rifles by politicians. This assumption is wishful thinking, and unlikely to stand the test of time because both are semi-autos. We all know the experience in England/Australia and other countries where semi-auto ownership have been banned or extremely limited.

Therefore, IMO an "everywhere" rifle is really a bolt-action, although some have called bolt guns "sniper rifles" even in a hunting rifle configuration.

Perhaps SA will come out with a new bolt-gun that's a bit more unique than the average bolt gun. I would suggest looking at Jeff Cooper's "Scout Rifle" concept & some European rifle features as a starting point, but with a fresh look at what that would look like.

My .02

You're right, and with the upcoming election, who knows. That said, it's safe to assume that most States overlook the M1A while only classifying the M14 as an 'assault' weapon. Except for that darn Maryland... That could quickly change if the States follow Canada's example.

Do you think a bolt gun would also be an all around effective option for defensive purposes?

To your scout rifle suggestion, I've been using and absolutely love the Savage 10FCM. If you can find one it's totally worth the purchase.

Do you think a bolt gun would also be an all around effective option for defensive purposes?

Military bolt guns were used, & still are (Afghanistan) for years. One must think about your circumstances, AOPs and tactics when faced with a threat, and the type, scope & scale of the threat.

Volume of fire isn't always the best approach unless you have an extensive supply line backing you up. "Well-aimed" fire can be quite effective.

And one must understand and accept the limtiations of ones own ability to sustain ones self on a landscape. Is one going to have to stand and defens a specific location, or evade greater numbers.

So, many times I've thought that in my area a bolt gun (scout or conventional) would be a priority to grab on a hypothetical SHTF situation.

My .02

Yeah, that's my point. Bolt guns are used but there are better options depending on limitations and circumstances. Exposed bolt firearms seem to be thought of as antiquated (although the M14 is still used in active military service), which may be an advantage when it comes to legislative oversight.

Until that happens places like Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Colorado, Maryland, and California will have to make due with something like the M1A, mini 14, mini 30, or even the SU16. At least until legislation catches up.

Personally, there should be contingencies on top of contingencies. There is no redundancy when it comes to defensive measures.

Back