testtest

The Japanese Type 26 Revolver’s Fatal Flaw

Fascinating really, when you look at most of Imperial Japan's Small Arms, and how antiquated they were. Starting the war with type 30 and 38 rifles and then producing the type 99 half way through as the 6.5 Arisaka was underperforming. The good doctor is correct that wars are won by the logistics and not the small arms. Hitler had a similar blind spot with the Kar 98.
One can't help but wonder how the war would have gone, had they started it with the weapons they later developed, but couldn't produce enough of. I think they still would have lost, because neither country had the production capacity the US brought to the table, but it would have taken far longer.
I find it fascinating as well that such a flawed pistol stayed in service for so long. One would think that the cylinder issue would have been addressed over that time frame.

I found one a few years ago in a Texas pawn shop. It had a nice original leather holster, $400 for both. I don’t think the seller knew what he had. Thought it was a single action
950C7258-9F9E-4911-83B7-1464B2488899.jpeg
Enfield. It would be fun to try on the range where the cylinder rotations could be monitored.
38922966-9239-447C-B8B5-D77A70E157F0.jpeg

This is a very interesting design. Looks like Japan envied British gunsmithing. 500fps? That is a BB gun. Japan seemed very incompetent when it came to effective firepower capabilities compared to the US and other super powers during that era. Even more so when they picked a fight with a superior nation. They got what they deserved.

Back