testtest

The Personal Journey To Your EDC Gun

I always read articles, watch Youtube videos, and speak to owners of any gun I'm thinking of buying. Even with all that, I never seem to be able to truly select and EDC gun until I've fired at least several hundred rounds and carried the gun for an extended period of time. I don't think I've ever met the guy who bought one EDC gun after doing some research and decided that he never needed to buy another. Of course, if I fell in love with the first gun I ever purchased I'd only have one gun. Where's the fun in that?

I always read articles, watch Youtube videos, and speak to owners of any gun I'm thinking of buying. Even with all that, I never seem to be able to truly select and EDC gun until I've fired at least several hundred rounds and carried the gun for an extended period of time. I don't think I've ever met the guy who bought one EDC gun after doing some research and decided that he never needed to buy another. Of course, if I fell in love with the first gun I ever purchased I'd only have one gun. Where's the fun in that?
So let me get you right. You're saying I should go and buy another gun? Because I will...

So let me get you right. You're saying I should go and buy another gun? Because I will...

Absolutely. How could you possibly know that you have the perfect carry gun if you have nothing to compare it to? Ranges seem unwilling to offer long-term rentals that allow you to shoot and carry a particular gun for several months, so you have no other option than to buy a new gun. This is clearly the fault of gun control laws.

I fully support the gun industry. The next perfect EDC or range gun may just be around the corner. Do I need a larger safe? Most telling comment: When a friend was moving his wife while watching said, "You have two gun safes?"

I’ve moved quite a bit in my carry guns; started with a full-size HK USP45, to a Glock 21, Glock 30, & Glock 36...Glock 26...HK P7M8...various 1911’s...HK USP Compacts and P30SK...K&L frame S&W’s...currently, it seems to be a RO LW Compact 9mm or some form of J-frame revolver.

There is no perfection, just what works for me at the time. I just make damn sure I’m up to spend on it before it gets put into rotation.

I’ve moved quite a bit in my carry guns; started with a full-size HK USP45, to a Glock 21, Glock 30, & Glock 36...Glock 26...HK P7M8...various 1911’s...HK USP Compacts and P30SK...K&L frame S&W’s...currently, it seems to be a RO LW Compact 9mm or some form of J-frame revolver.

There is no perfection, just what works for me at the time. I just make damn sure I’m up to spend on it before it gets put into rotation.

I have also gone through many options and the Hellcat is my current winner. I also spend time shooting before carrying then practice frequently. For me it has been about scaling down the size, reliability, shootability, and finally capacity. Most importantly continue working on proficiency.

Personally I like a medium sized handgun. Among my favorites are H&K P2000, VP9, Sig P226 and P30. Secondly would be a sub compact like a P30sk. On some occasions I carry a P365 but prefer a larger gun. Rarely I carry a 1911 (Dan Wesson Classic Bobtail) because of my dislike of a safety on an EDC. DO NOT want to start a discussion on that.

Can’t go wrong with a Sig 226. Thinking of sending off my 226 Legion to The Sig Armorer for a trigger job.

My personal journey to my EDC gun began with a full size all steel 1911 and I test fired numerous handguns along the way down to a P365 micro compact. What I realized was I gravitated back towards compact models of a full size handguns. I liked the full size handgun feel, but with a shorter grip and barrel combination for concealed carry. I also found that my accuracy was improved with those models that offered interchangeable grip modules for larger hands. I don't know if my current setup will be my last, but I am comfortable for the time being with 200 rounds of JHP and 50 rounds of Critical Defense through it.

Can’t go wrong with a Sig 226. Thinking of sending off my 226 Legion to The Sig Armorer for a trigger job.
I had Sig do an Action Job and SRT and it made a world of difference. If the wait time is not too long I would also consider Gray Guns, pretty much the Sig Masters for improvements.

Back