testtest

The Rifleman’s Rifle — SAINT 5.56mm

I really like my Saint. It's my only AR, and I would not choose anything else, short of a fancy Wilson Combat model or something in the "Oh my God" price range. But even that would be pointless, because the Saint does everything I want at $900 out the door. I added a Sig Romeo 5 red dot, but it wasn't really necessary. The iron sights are perfectly good for fighting. Just a Magpul sling and you're ready for business with a first rate rifle.

Really it depends on what your intended use is. For a fighting rifle, a 16" ( or a suppressed 10.5") AR is just about perfect.

Agreed.

A 16- or a 14.5-(or 14.3-)inch gun (the latter with a proper length pin-and-welded muzzle device) is "typical."

According to CQB SME John "Chappy" Chapman, the 16-inch gun is still very usable, CONUS, indoors - I am definitely in no place to agree, and even my agreement is about as worthless as can be, given his standing as SME 😅 , but yeah, I definitely do agree.

A 14.5-gun still nets 16" when all's said and done with the appropriate muzzle device, but what you'll likely notice more is the difference that makes, in terms of weight/balance of the gun. It's harder to make a 16"-gun "feel alive" than it is a 14.5. My 16" is about as light as you can make it forward of the receiver, but it's noticeably slower on the swing versus my daughter's 14.5," both are BCMs, with pretty much "equivalent" configurations (mine is a ELW BHF in a 15" KMR handguard - https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/lets-see-your-ar-setups.258/page-2#post-3579, while hers is a fluted standard ELW inside a 13" KMR-A - https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/saint-victor-accu-tightness.9961/); our differences in muzzle devices contribute to hers being livelier, too, but since we're focusing on length, I figured that I'd use this as point-illustration ;) ).

If you intend to suppress, a 14.5 or just biting the bullet and doing it right by going the double-stamp route and dropping all the way to a 12.5 or even 11.5-inch gun is, in my view, almost requisite, that latter (12.5 or shorter) moreso if you intend vehicle-work. And towards the latter , again per Chappy, I would not go south of an 11.5, when looking for a serious-use gun. While similar in the way that concealment of snubbie revolvers and sub-compact pistols in that every ounce matters, that last inch taken off the 11.5 DI AR platform can potentially engender some issues which an "only one gun" or otherwise less-specific-platform-experienced shooter may not be as well-equipped to deal with.

As good brother @Bassbob wrote, it's really "mission that drives the train." Figure out exactly what you want/need the gun for, first, @David N., and the rest will come together almost effortlessly. :)

Last edited:
Agreed.

A 16- or a 14.5-(or 14.3-)inch gun (the latter with a proper length pin-and-welded muzzle device) is "typical."

According to CQB SME John "Chappy" Chapman, the 16-inch gun is still very usable, CONUS, indoors - I am definitely in no place to agree, and even my agreement is about as worthless as can be, given his standing as SME 😅 , but yeah, I definitely do agree.

A 14.5-gun still nets 16" when all's said and done with the appropriate muzzle device, but what you'll likely notice more is the difference that makes, in terms of weight/balance of the gun. It's harder to make a 16"-gun "feel alive" than it is a 14.5. My 16" is about as light as you can make it forward of the receiver, but it's noticeably slower on the swing versus my daughter's 14.5," both are BCMs, with pretty much "equivalent" configurations (mine is a ELW BHF in a 15" KMR handguard - https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/lets-see-your-ar-setups.258/page-2#post-3579, while hers is a fluted standard ELW inside a 13" KMR-A - https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/saint-victor-accu-tightness.9961/); our differences in muzzle devices contribute to hers being livelier, too, but since we're focusing on length, I figured that I'd use this as point-illustration ;) ).

If you intend to suppress, a 14.5 or just biting the bullet and doing it right by going the double-stamp route and dropping all the way to a 12.5 or even 11.5-inch gun is, in my view, almost requisite, that latter (12.5 or shorter) moreso if you intend vehicle-work. And towards the latter , again per Chappy, I would not go south of an 11.5, when looking for a serious-use gun. While similar in the way that concealment of snubbie revolvers and sub-compact pistols in that every ounce matters, that last inch taken off the 11.5 DI AR platform can potentially engender some issues which an "only one gun" or otherwise less-specific-platform-experienced shooter may not be as well-equipped to deal with.

As good brother @Bassbob wrote, it's really "mission that drives the train." Figure out exactly what you want/need the gun for, first, @David N., and the rest will come together almost effortlessly. :)

^ By that link, you mean the sub-11.5, right? :)

It's not that a sub-11.5 is untenable.

It wasn't my intention for my post above to be read as-such, and similarly, I didn't hear those words come out of Chappy's mouth, either - nor of someone like Dave Laubert (https://www.recoilweb.com/dave-laubert-defensive-creations-80917.html).

It's that as we go from a 12.5 to an 11.5 to a 10.5, we're pushing that envelope more and more and more: and this is a sentiment that I share, which in large part does come from the two gentlemen I mentioned. It also stands to-note that they are each also a disciple of the late Pat Rogers - @David N. , I know that the following video is a bit on the long side, but Pat's a consummate lecturer, and the time will fly - given where you are in the process, I definitely would recommend pulling a large mug of coffee and settling down with this one :) ----->

Those professionals on the cutting edge either well-understand their weapon-systems and can take care of them at SME-levels of knowledge, know-how, and with specialized tools - and/or have the services of the finest SMEs on their support teams, to do just that. In having multiple weapon platforms that are each specialized and tuned for the mission at-hand, they can well afford to ride that ragged edge of specialization.

It's like that F1 car.... :)

With recent events in the world, I am reconsidering my previous stance on the AR-15. I am looking for a semi auto long gun to supplement my home defense, so I stopped by the PX after work and checked out this specific model..... I was yanking on the butt stock trying to extend it further when the kid behind the gun counter informed me that the stock was already fully extended. I felt like an idiot and mumbled something like "It's a lot smaller than I remember."

Have ARs gotten smaller in recent years? Maybe an M1A is more suitable for me.

and

Same as the model depicted in the video article above. It was the rifle version with collapsible stock. I'm so out of touch with the AR now, I thought something was wrong. It was almost like I was holding a "youth model." I guess it was the perceived decrease in length of pull.

^ FWIW, if you like the AR otherwise, please know that there are longer -but yet still collapsable- stocks in the aftermarket. Alternatively, there are also fixed-stock retrofits available.

The current interest in braces and PDW-style guns is definitely a part of the driving factor for shorter length-of-pull stocks, but part of this can also be attributed to the modern, more "squared-up" shooting stance/presentation as-favored by "action-sport" competition and "tactical/defensive" shooters. Particularly as the latter sometimes involves the use of various types of body-armor whose shoulder strap (if not the armor itself) interferes with the seating of the buttstock in the traditional shoulder-pocket, shorter (and shortening) of the stock is often needed in order to facilitate modern marksmanship styles and weapons-manipulation techniques.

But again, aftermarket solutions should help make this all but a non-issue for you, if you do desire an AR, otherwise! :)

It wasn't my intention for my post above to be read as-such, and similarly, I didn't hear those words come out of Chappy's mouth, either - nor of someone like Dave Laubert (https://www.recoilweb.com/dave-laubert-defensive-creations-80917.html).

It's that as we go from a 12.5 to an 11.5 to a 10.5, we're pushing that envelope more and more and more: and this is a sentiment that I share, which in large part does come from the two gentlemen I mentioned. It also stands to-note that they are each also a disciple of the late Pat Rogers - @David N. , I know that the following video is a bit on the long side, but Pat's a consummate lecturer, and the time will fly - given where you are in the process, I definitely would recommend pulling a large mug of coffee and settling down with this one :) ----->

Those professionals on the cutting edge either well-understand their weapon-systems and can take care of them at SME-levels of knowledge, know-how, and with specialized tools - and/or have the services of the finest SMEs on their support teams, to do just that. In having multiple weapon platforms that are each specialized and tuned for the mission at-hand, they can well afford to ride that ragged edge of specialization.

I was referring to what the elite combat teams use. Just as what is “in with the Teams” currently.
Neat for point of reference

Agreed.

I'm pretty sure the new Seal guns are 10.5" suppressed.

I'm pretty sure the new Seal guns are 10.5" suppressed.

Again, not suggesting that anything shorter of 11.5 is untenable - just that it's more on the edge. Those SEALs have a tremendous shooting package and either the knowledge and ability to properly tune and maintain their own weapons or the support of those at the SME-level who will do so for them.

There's a tremendous difference between a F1 car and an Accord....or even a 911. ;)

I don't think that a 911 cannot be a viable daily-driver: even up here in the rust-belt, an AWD 911 during the winter isn't a totally foreign sight. There's a neighbor here who daily an Aston Martin Vantage....

As you noted previously, mission drives gear selection. That suppressed 10.5 SBR would be great for HD, no-doubt....especially when it's tuned for 100% reliability with the ammo and conditions. But for someone who may be shooting it both suppressed and unsuppressed, with variable (and some would probably verge on questionable, LOL :LOL:) quality ammo, under a wide range of environmental conditions - the complications compound: even moreso if that shooter isn't intimately familiar with the platform to begin with and/or doesn't have sufficient mechanical support.

For example, very recently we saw two threads in which the OP felt that the upper-to-lower fitment on their ARs was "too sloppy."

Neither realized that there's known specs, nor how easy it would be to check it for themselves.

Don't get me wrong: I honestly don't blame either member for not knowing - after all, we've all got to start somewhere, and Forums and other communities like this are both the perfect place to learn as well as remain the appropriate place to come with such questions. (y)

But this is illustrative of the case that I am trying to make: that as we run more and more towards the edge with more and more specialized setups, we really need to be sure that we have the mechanical knowledge and experience to insure that we can keep our weapons in the fight....so that we ourselves can remain in the fight.

Agreed.

Thank you, Sir.

and

^ FWIW, if you like the AR otherwise, please know that there are longer -but yet still collapsable- stocks in the aftermarket. Alternatively, there are also fixed-stock retrofits available.

The current interest in braces and PDW-style guns is definitely a part of the driving factor for shorter length-of-pull stocks, but part of this can also be attributed to the modern, more "squared-up" shooting stance/presentation as-favored by "action-sport" competition and "tactical/defensive" shooters. Particularly as the latter sometimes involves the use of various types of body-armor whose shoulder strap (if not the armor itself) interferes with the seating of the buttstock in the traditional shoulder-pocket, shorter (and shortening) of the stock is often needed in order to facilitate modern marksmanship styles and weapons-manipulation techniques.

But again, aftermarket solutions should help make this all but a non-issue for you, if you do desire an AR, otherwise! :)
This makes a lot more sense now. Especially after watching the Tactical Shotgunner Pro Tips series posted by @Talyn where the instructor mentions shortening the stock/length of pull to improve manipulation of the slide.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I have the Saint and the Edge. Both are quality rifles. They are the best rifles I have used and I have shot many a AR in my 23 years in the military.

I run a 16” Saint suppressed and an SBR build suppressed.
The SBR doesnt get good groups with anything less than 77gr ammo.
55gr has 6” groups at 50 yards.
77gr has 1” groups at 50 yards

Both are NFA permitted.
C8E08ABB-2696-4178-A20D-B369AD168272.jpeg

I learned a lot, thanks.

I took a trip to central Texas this past Saturday to visit family I haven't seen in a while. We were chatting on the deck taking in the beautiful scenery of the property when in the distance you could here one of their neighbors hammering away with a 5.56. They saw me listening intently and mentioned that it was a normal occurrence, to which I replied with an impromptu "Sounds like freedom!" They had a good laugh at that.

I don't know if it was the visit, but yesterday I decided to purchase my first AR-15 rifle. I chose the Springfield Armory Saint M-LOK in 5.56. I wanted a basic setup that I could customize to purpose.

I look forward to this new journey. Thanks goes out to everyone for all the information posted on this thread.

I took a trip to central Texas this past Saturday to visit family I haven't seen in a while. We were chatting on the deck taking in the beautiful scenery of the property when in the distance you could here one of their neighbors hammering away with a 5.56. They saw me listening intently and mentioned that it was a normal occurrence, to which I replied with an impromptu "Sounds like freedom!" They had a good laugh at that.

I don't know if it was the visit, but yesterday I decided to purchase my first AR-15 rifle. I chose the Springfield Armory Saint M-LOK in 5.56. I wanted a basic setup that I could customize to purpose.

I look forward to this new journey. Thanks goes out to everyone for all the information posted on this thread.
Welcome to the infinite world of AR-15 👍

Back