testtest

The Springfield Hellcat Holster Roundup!

MTR Custom Leather Adversary A-3 for IWB and Desantis Super Fly for pocket. Both of these conceal easily and afford quick access for my Hellcat with RMSc Shield red dot although the Super Fly took more training and practice to acquire adequate speed. Which one I use on any given day depends on wardrobe. I have 3-4 choices in holsters for every one of my pistols.

I'm sure there's more options out on the market. I have the Crossbreed Reckoning holster for my non OSP Hellcat that I wear IWB at 3 - 3:30 position.

Made OWB leather holster from $15 Realeather Point Blank holster kit. Was 1st time making a leather holster and was an inexpensive experiment too. Holster turned out okay. Packaging is a little deceptive. Instructions leave a little bit to be desired too, but are useable. Can use same kit for several size handguns is nice feature. From 3 1/2" to I think 5" barrels.

Not too easy finding brown leather holster with red dot and Viridian E laser from my experience is why made this holster. Wanted a holster to protect red dot as well as gun. - Holsters usually saw had exposed red dot. The kit offers choices of forward cant, upright or crossdraw options from one kit.

Need some tools like an exacto knife, leather punch and a snap setter. Kit contains good thick leather, not skimpy stuff. Wetmoulded it by hand. Used no tools for wetmoulding. Found no real need for thumbstrap after the wetmoulding either. If when doing another, would eliminate optional thumbstrap setup. Wetmoulding offered good enough retention all by itself. Sealed with Neatsfoot oil. Can see why takes so long for a holster now? The smell of the Neatsfoot oil is a toughy, likely take days to air out. :) But, the oil is an excellent leather preservative, sealer and finish all by itself, that's a plus. On the bright side can apply other finishes and protectants too. Choice is up to whoever builds. Will likely make another one from a new kit. The holster made is very doable, gun draws well and holster looks fairly presentable as is to me.

Note: As of right now, a pic of a so far unspilled coffee cup? - It isn't always so easy! :)

Attachments

• 20210607_143252.jpg
    20210607_143252.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 151
  • 20210607_142733.jpg
    20210607_142733.jpg
    897.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 20210530_073209.jpg
    20210530_073209.jpg
    907.8 KB · Views: 118
I got that same kit for Xmas, maybe someday I'll have time to try it.
Is "enlightening" & somewhat humbling to say the least in some ways. Have done leather working before, just not holsters. Opens up a new world in some ways. Hobby Lobby or another craft store may have the leather working tools needed.

Do yourself a big favor if & when deciding to do holster, read instructions very carefully and take your time. If want to do any leather tooling, get those tools beforehand along with an appropriate sized leather punch to use with hammer and not a cheap flimsy one. The leather is tougher than it looks. Wasn't kidding on wetmoulding adding a lot of retention even just by hand. There are stylus tools available if want more exacting details, I didn't want that effect. Wanted to see and feel what wetmoulding was all about so tried it out. Leather is very pliable when wet, hardens like a rock when dry. After wetmoulding, can hold gun & holster upside down and lightly shake w/o gun falling out w/o thumbstrap being used. Gun still draws fine. Will likely do another one or two down the road. Will do a CC holster next. Is fun once get going. Don't feel undone if you do? One here sat around awhile too. Used it for something to do when had right hat on or for experiment time is all. Turned out better than thought it would.

Punches come in assorted sizes. here are some examples:

Back