testtest

The Story of Black Hills Ammunition

I miss they days of buying Black Hills factory seconds…the occasional (slightly) dented or scratched case, or other minor imperfections never affected performance…and the price was screamin’ low; I think you could buy bulk 500rd boxes for something like $89…that was about what Wolf, etc would run.

Big fan of their ammo.

I miss they days of buying Black Hills factory seconds…the occasional (slightly) dented or scratched case, or other minor imperfections never affected performance…and the price was screamin’ low; I think you could buy bulk 500rd boxes for something like $89…that was about what Wolf, etc would run.

Big fan of their ammo.
Agree, used a lot of there “seconds” years ago, great ammo

After some gel and barrier testing a few years back, I made the switch to Black Hills Honey Badger for all my EDC's after finding 30% failure to expand, causing overpenetration of the premium JHP's I had been carrying for years. My EDC's are all 3.1" or shorter barrels and I found that the Honey Badger ammo stayed within the FBI testing specs with all my EDC's. My greatest concern was overpenetration that might lead to injury of an innocent person, which is why I made the switch. Your experience may differ, especially with longer barrels. Carry what keeps you and those around you safe to stop the threat. Just my opinion.

I've used a little Black Hills, it is excellent ammo. The .380 ACP Honey Badger, will keep a <1" group across a rest at 25' out of my old PPK/S. I can never find the 9mm locally to try un my M9.
Biggest problem, in my neck of the woods, it's rarely on the shelf for long. By the time I get my SS check, it's sold out at the LGSs that carry it.
I don't buy much ammo as I've been a reloader for over 40 years. I can appreciate the attention to detail BH puts into it, because I do the same loading my own. A buddy with one of those Dillon presses still can't get the consistent velocities and accuracy out of 5.56 as I do. For 5.56, I hand throw each charge and don't rely on the metered measure. Too much variance +/- out of the meter for my taste.

I've used a little Black Hills, it is excellent ammo. The .380 ACP Honey Badger, will keep a <1" group across a rest at 25' out of my old PPK/S. I can never find the 9mm locally to try un my M9.
Biggest problem, in my neck of the woods, it's rarely on the shelf for long. By the time I get my SS check, it's sold out at the LGSs that carry it.
I don't buy much ammo as I've been a reloader for over 40 years. I can appreciate the attention to detail BH puts into it, because I do the same loading my own. A buddy with one of those Dillon presses still can't get the consistent velocities and accuracy out of 5.56 as I do. For 5.56, I hand throw each charge and don't rely on the metered measure. Too much variance +/- out of the meter for my taste.
I've read somewhere recently that Black Hills landed 2 very large contracts for the military and has temporarily paused production on some of the handgun ammo to meet those deadlines. Supply issues are also involved. Can't remember where I saw it but will post here if I can find it. I'm sure they'll be back once those contracts are filled and supply issues meet demand. Luckily, I'm well stocked for my EDC's.

Last edited:
Back