testtest

The Story of the 9mm

I like the article and have no disagreements, but I would like to make an arcane point concerning the author's reference to the 8×57 JS round. Most sources say this stands for German words Jaeger (Hunter). However, the J is not a J, it’s a capital I in Old Gothic script. Its an understandable error found in many references, because the Old Gothic I and J are almost identical and they are frequently pronounced the same. Take a look at gothic alphabet attached for I and J. The letter I on the round stands for the German word Infanterie, meaning Infantry, of course.

Attachments

• Gothic alphabet.jpg
    Gothic alphabet.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 90
I hope one day I invent the product that is considered no good and defeated, and is still used by millions daily. I don’t even own a 9 mm and probably never will. I love the big boom and when you’re used to the recoil, none of this is an issue. I get it, 9 mm rules the roost and it’s cheaper. But there’s no reason to put negativity on a different caliber, nothing has been defeated anywhere, or the Springfield Armory website wouldn’t be selling any. People still listen to Mozart daily. Classics stay, regardless of what the public says is in fashion. I am replying of course to the email about the article that says “Did John Moses Browning help The 9 mm defeat the .45?”

Last edited:
A lot of states are putting a limit of 10 rounds ,so that takes away the only real advantage of the 9mm over the 45. I will stick with the 45 Thank you.
Different strokes for different folks..:) I carried 1911s the 45 acp version, for many years. I switched from a 1911 in 45 acp to a Glock 19 Gen 5 (9 mm) for almost daily carry, though I carried my S&W 638 in 38 special when I went out walking this morning, I missed the Glock though...:)

When the US military switched from the 45 acp to 9 mm in the 1980's I was one of those blowhards that said the military was making a big mistake. I carried a 1911 as a Marine from '76-'79. Nowadays I think the military made the right move. Now if only they'd switch their rifles from 5.56 to 6.5 Creedmoor...:)

The 1911s made now are so much better than the ones we shot in the 1970's. I get a hankering for a 1911 sometimes. Today I was looking at a Tisas 1911 Tanker model (1911, 45 acp, 4.25 inch barrel).

But now at 65 years old, having survived neck micro-fracture and quadruple bypass surgeries a 9 is just fine. I haven't totally given up larger calibers. A New Model Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt is sometimes my nightstand gun. It's too heavy for concealed carry but I don't plan to ever sell it because it's so reliable and for me accurate. Plus I like that the transfer bar allows me to carry 6 rounds instead of the 5 rounds that most Colt single action clones can safely carry.

I don't feel under armed with my Glock 19 Gen 5 in 9 mm. Most times if I'm going to take any kind of drive the G19 is my companion...:) I think the 9 mm round has come a long way. And it's a great round for older folks like me who don't usually caught up in the "bigger is better" ego battles.

I don't feel under armed with my Glock 19 Gen 5 in 9 mm. Most times if I'm going to take any kind of drive the G19 is my companion...:) I think the 9 mm round has come a long way. And it's a great round for older folks like me who don't usually caught up in the "bigger is better" ego battles.
I'm 61, right behind you, and if I was completely honest, I don't shoot a 9mm, even to try, because I would probably like the easier handling, lol. I guess what I get tired of is, I like the classic, and article after article bashes it and I'm tired of having to hear what I like constantly picked at. I feel like I have to make excuses... " I have a 45, because I really like th..." and so on. I agree, the "bigger is better" thing gets old but that tends to be a defense response. If people like 9mm, great, shoot it and shut up about it. (That's not aimed at you! Just articles and discussion in general.)

I'm 61, right behind you, and if I was completely honest, I don't shoot a 9mm, even to try, because I would probably like the easier handling, lol. I guess what I get tired of is, I like the classic, and article after article bashes it and I'm tired of having to hear what I like constantly picked at. I feel like I have to make excuses... " I have a 45, because I really like th..." and so on. I agree, the "bigger is better" thing gets old but that tends to be a defense response. If people like 9mm, great, shoot it and shut up about it. (That's not aimed at you! Just articles and discussion in general.)
Understood.
I think it's about what you're comfortable with.

I like to joke around and to be honest I really don't care what caliber somebody carries but it's fun to bust friend's chops. I used to harass some friends who owned Glocks. 15 years or so later a Glock is one of my favorite firearms..:)

I used to think I'd never own a AR type rifle but one day I picked up a Ruger AR556 with Magpul furniture and I couldn't put it down, so it came home with me. I try to keep an open mind about firearm and caliber choices.

If I could carry any caliber and firearm I'd carry a couple single action only revolvers in 45 colt, one with a 3.5 inch barrel for close quarters and another with a 5.5 or longer barrel for everything else..:). Every time I handle or shoot my Ruger Vaquero I have a big smile on my face...:)

I am old..and I am little...and I love the 1911s I own. I do love to shoot the .45s. The thing is, I am small, so I can't carry a 45 (believe me, I have tried 😞). I shoot those babies when I go to the range, and I group better with them than with my sub compact 9mm pistols. I carry a Hellcat for self defense because I can stuff 15 plus 1 rounds in her. If I can't stop the threat with that (with my training and a back up magazine), then I hope they get the a$$hat that got me. Just my .02😎

Different strokes for different folks..:) I carried 1911s the 45 acp version, for many years. I switched from a 1911 in 45 acp to a Glock 19 Gen 5 (9 mm) for almost daily carry, though I carried my S&W 638 in 38 special when I went out walking this morning, I missed the Glock though...:)

When the US military switched from the 45 acp to 9 mm in the 1980's I was one of those blowhards that said the military was making a big mistake. I carried a 1911 as a Marine from '76-'79. Nowadays I think the military made the right move. Now if only they'd switch their rifles from 5.56 to 6.5 Creedmoor...:)

The 1911s made now are so much better than the ones we shot in the 1970's. I get a hankering for a 1911 sometimes. Today I was looking at a Tisas 1911 Tanker model (1911, 45 acp, 4.25 inch barrel).

But now at 65 years old, having survived neck micro-fracture and quadruple bypass surgeries a 9 is just fine. I haven't totally given up larger calibers. A New Model Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt is sometimes my nightstand gun. It's too heavy for concealed carry but I don't plan to ever sell it because it's so reliable and for me accurate. Plus I like that the transfer bar allows me to carry 6 rounds instead of the 5 rounds that most Colt single action clones can safely carry.

I carry a 9mm for a few years now, put my .44 special into safe, I don’t feel the 9mm is inadequate, my opinion, shot placement is more important then caliber or capacity, but this is just me

I have both the 45 acp and 9mm. My grandson's like shooting both and actually do better with the 45. I just recently purchased my first striker fired pistol, in 9mm. I am now saving up for the Springfield Echelon. I am hoping that they come out with a 45 acp buy the time I have the money saved up. If not it will be another 9mm.

I was always a .45 guy and had zero interest in 9mm. Until I got my hands on some HKs. I own and carry both. Frankly, even though I DO believe .45 is a much more effective stopper ( all other things being equal) I am more comfortable carrying an 18 round 4” German 9mm with two 17 round mags on the support side than I am carrying 8 round 1911s.

In reality if you do your part the difference in stopping power between the two is negligible.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “The Story of the 9mm” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/story-of-the-9mm/.

My first semi-auto was a Browning Hi-Power. Over the years, I've acquired a few more. I don't consider myself an expert on the P35, but I know enough to state that the SA-35 is the poor cousin. The first one I received flew apart the first time I dropped the slide on an empty chamber. The firing pin and spring went right over my shoulder. While still not an original FNH P35, I'm much more pleased with the Girsan MC P35.

I was always a .45 guy and had zero interest in 9mm. Until I got my hands on some HKs. I own and carry both. Frankly, even though I DO believe .45 is a much more effective stopper ( all other things being equal) I am more comfortable carrying an 18 round 4” German 9mm with two 17 round mags on the support side than I am carrying 8 round 1911s.

In reality if you do your part the difference in stopping power between the two is negligible.
HK’s…….Hong Kong?????

I am 72 and served 38 years in the Military. I didn't like the 5.56 round or the 9mm I carried a 38 most of the time (Flight crew) they gave us the 45 for a short time while shifting to the 9mm. It shot great on paper but they even taught shoot two rounds at a time. My boot camp was just shifting from the M14 to the M16 . We shot the M14 the next group got the M16. My first High power rifle I shot was M1 in Military High school. We had to carry it everywhere.

My FN545 is the same size as my VP9 and packs 18 rds of .45 and has the recoil of a 9mm. It’s the best of both worlds. That being said I love my HKs, my Sig P Series guns, my 9mm 1911s, etc. Make sure you can put 5 rounds in the same hole and caliber becomes irrelevant.

BTW, these work as well today as when they were invented too.
1694202304475.gif

My FN545 is the same size as my VP9 and packs 18 rds of .45 and has the recoil of a 9mm. It’s the best of both worlds. That being said I love my HKs, my Sig P Series guns, my 9mm 1911s, etc. Make sure you can put 5 rounds in the same hole and caliber becomes irrelevant.

BTW, these work as well today as when they were invented too.
View attachment 43391
Yeah, and the young kids these days dont know how to use a .45 or that phone 🤣

Back