testtest

The Threat You Missed — Are You Prepared?

I've read a few posts about "practicing Situational Awareness", I don't know that Situational Awareness is something you can "practice". I don't think it's something you do it's something you either have or you don't.

I honestly don't know if you can teach somebody situational awareness any other way than by putting them in a position where they have to pay attention to what's going on around them or they're going to have to suffer actual consequences.

I learned situational awareness by working in an environment where situational awareness is a critical skill. It's been my experience that getting caught by surprise once or twice will really teach you to pay close attention to your surroundings.

From my experience, it can be learned incrementally. I’ve had people look around for specific things in the environment. An example: I teach CPR/AED/First Aid. When I’m teaching students how to use the AED (Automated External Defibrillator), I also encourage them to look out for the nearest ones in an airport, train station, bus station, etc. whenever they travel, since those are the places that have them consistently. When I teach in NYC at public schools, I teach them where to find their AED’s in the halls. Just looking for something like that builds their SA.

I also “stole” something from someone who teaches self defense that I love: Think like a mugger. Where would be the best place to hide before attacking someone? In certain shadows? Behind bushes? On the opposite side of the street tracking a potential target? Among other things. They learn fairly fast.

However, experience is still a major teacher. And hopefully, the experience isn’t too bad.

I see no reason to inform nor ask permission from the government to carry a gun for self defense.

I hear ya, but for me, having a CCW means I can carry in about 36 other states - not including Constitutional states which are a given - because of reciprocity. That’s a win. Also, in this part of Wyoming, the USPS doesn’t deliver mail. We must rent PO boxes. But when I went through the hassle of delivering paperwork to the WY Dept. Of Transportation and I asked the lady which address to put on my license, my home address or mailing address, she said, “When you wanna go shopping, it’s better to have your home address.” I understood, immediately, what she meant. I need to have an official document to with my home address as part of the process to “go shopping” here. And since having a CCW means not having to be approved by NICS, and it’s considered an official document, I put down my home address. Win-Win.

Does it suck? Yes. Does it invalidate your comment? No. But I’ll play that game to make my “shopping” easier. Because I’ve been denied, once (after years of not being denied), and I knew it was because someone at NICS finally got me mixed up with the many criminals with my full name. It was a hassle to prove to them that I wasn’t one of them. And I never want to go through that, again.

Thus, my CCW.

I hear ya, but for me, having a CCW means I can carry in about 36 other states - not including Constitutional states which are a given - because of reciprocity. That’s a win. Also, in this part of Wyoming, the USPS doesn’t deliver mail. We must rent PO boxes. But when I went through the hassle of delivering paperwork to the WY Dept. Of Transportation and I asked the lady which address to put on my license, my home address or mailing address, she said, “When you wanna go shopping, it’s better to have your home address.” I understood, immediately, what she meant. I need to have an official document to with my home address as part of the process to “go shopping” here. And since having a CCW means not having to be approved by NICS, and it’s considered an official document, I put down my home address. Win-Win.

Does it suck? Yes. Does it invalidate your comment? No. But I’ll play that game to make my “shopping” easier. Because I’ve been denied, once (after years of not being denied), and I knew it was because someone at NICS finally got me mixed up with the many criminals with my full name. It was a hassle to prove to them that I wasn’t one of them. And I never want to go through that, again.

Thus, my CCW.
If they did that with the BGC here I would go ahead and get mine.

Great article. I'll be the first to say I don't practice as much as I should. Even components are higher and scarce. I did stock up, since I reload, but as Ammogedon continues, my stocks are dwindling, and who knows when primers will hit the shelves again.
I'm going to invest the $100 or so in the iTarget laser system. And I definitely need to do a whole lot more dry fire practice. My trigger press could use some work.

Back