testtest

They hate guns till they need protection…

My research showed that in most cases the aggressor gave many indications before the violent incident, but management and other employees did not recognize the threat for what it was.

I know that James Yeager did not have the best reputation but he did one video several years ago (that YouTube has deleted) about human reaction time.

One of the things that he said in the video that I absolutely believe is true was it one of your brains defensive mechanisms in an emergency is to just pretend it's not actually happening.

He then cited several instances where the witnesses to a horrific event or people that were caught in a mass shooting all said essentially the same thing, I didn't think it was really happening it was like being in a movie.

The bottom line he said was that you have to overcome that part of your brain that's telling you it's not happening and you need to react.

I said all that as lead up to my question.

Did the people not recognize the signs or did they simply not believe that the person would really do it?

I know that James Yeager did not have the best reputation but he did one video several years ago (that YouTube has deleted) about human reaction time.

One of the things that he said in the video that I absolutely believe is true was it one of your brains defensive mechanisms in an emergency is to just pretend it's not actually happening.

He then cited several instances where the witnesses to a horrific event or people that were caught in a mass shooting all said essentially the same thing, I didn't think it was really happening it was like being in a movie.

The bottom line he said was that you have to overcome that part of your brain that's telling you it's not happening and you need to react.

Did the people not recognize the signs or did they simply not believe that the person would really do it?
In my instance, the local police made contact with him to discuss his words.
Idle talk is what I gather. Didnt work with the man or that dept, so not to worried.
Always prepared. Not worried.

Point of my OP was all those in the world that dont want guns and others to not have guns until it impacts them directly

The last 15 years of my work life I worked as a security guard. It was axiomatic throughout the industry that if you ever actually drew your gun in the course of your duties you were going to lose your job.

I'm sure I told the story here before but I was walking out to my car to go to work one night and two crackheads tried to rob me. I never even drew my gun as soon as they realized I was armed they backed off.

I did everything I was supposed to do. I called the police immediately and filed a report I got the report number for my supervisor I called my supervisor and told him what had happened and told him that I was going to be late for work. When I got to work I reported directly to the supervisor I gave him the police officers card with the report number written on it I told him that the police said it that I was 100% Justified (because I had put my hand on my gun and told the robbers to back off). And they still almost fired me. I'm pretty sure that had I done nothing and allowed the guys to rob me they would have taken my gun and if they didn't shoot me with it I would have got fired for losing the gun.

Before I got into the security field I worked as medical assistant for about a year. My first employer was a pain management doctor who kept narcotics in his office.

Shortly after I started there he came into the front office and told me that he would be OK with me carrying a gun at work in case someone tried to rob the clinic.

The office manager was sitting in the office while he was talking to me and didn't say a word.

The Instant he left the office she turned around and told me that if I ever came to work with a gun I would be terminated on the spot regardless of what the doctor said. I believed her.

Last Story, I worked security at a city facility which required a 100% ID check of everybody coming to the gate no exceptions.

One morning a city employee decided to test it and refused to show his ID. When the guard told him that he couldn't allow the employee access the employee tried to run him over. The gaurd stepped back, put his hand on his gun and told the guy to stop. The employee ended up showing his ID.

Both the guard and the employee reported the incident. The Security Administrator watched the video footage and decided that the guard had been justified in his use of force.

As soon as that happened the security company filed a complaint against the city employee. They were immediately told that that employee had been working for the city for 25 years and that he had an impeccable record and that they were sure that it was just a misunderstanding. (IN other words they denied the complaint.)

Three weeks later the guard was "routinely transferred" to another site. He lost his day shift hours. He lost his supervisory position and he lost his supervisor's pay (which was maybe .50 extra an hour).

Which is why I would never carry a gun at work or agree to act as an agent of the property owner unless it was in writing.

In my instance, the local police made contact with him to discuss his words.
Idle talk is what I gather. Didnt work with the man or that dept, so not to worried.
Always prepared. Not worried.

Point of my OP was all those in the world that dont want guns and others to not have guns until it impacts them directly

I've experienced what you're trying to convey here myself, when during the Covid shutdowns I talked to a few non gun owning people I know that were jokingly serious saying stuff like, if SHTF I'm coming to your house because you have all the guns and ammo.

I don't think I'll be the most welcoming to people that do nothing to preserve our constitutional rights or don't prepare for their own safety but want to rely on me for their safety if SHTF. I'd most likely respectfully turn them away, as they are not the type of people to contribute to keeping us a free society.

When I retired I looked around for part time work and went to work for a security company as an armed guard at a city government building, I needed my CCDW which the security company paid for for me to get, the next was a protection officer permit, took the class and got the permit but before I was issued the firearm the security company lost the contract to another low ball security company who started cutting the hourly rate and came out with a form every armed guard had to sign saying basically draw your gun loose your job.

I quit before I was issued a firearm.

I think lack of awareness of the realities is key. I got a number of "holy crap" reactions during the presentations from folks who recognized things they had been seeing.

Having worked as a licensed security guard(and a bodyguard) in the state of Texas I agree that when you work security there are a lot of work issues that come into play. If you work security long enough you will get thrown under the bus. It sucks, but it happens a lot.

I worked as a Spanish Interpreter in an Emergency Room in a hospital in a Dallas suburb for about 5 years. One day in the ER a guy got violent with a nurse and got him under control(I have a lot of martial arts training) so they created a special position for me in that ER as an Administrative Assistant. I worked Thursdays - Sundays 7pm - 7am. I saw a lot of stuff. During the course of employment there I attended Advanced EMT school, so that give me even more to do in the ER...:)

I got pretty well known in that ER(and the rest of the hospital) for my Spanish speaking abilities and being able to talk people down and physically restrain people without causing much damage.

There was a hot headed guy who was an XRay tech. He was good at taking XRays and CAT scans but not good at being told what to do. He bad mouthed one of the ER doctors which is a big no-no. He also showed up late quite a few times, so they decided to terminate him. They knew this guy respected me and knew better than to try to get physical me. So the director the XRay department asked if I'd walk him to the door when gave him his walking papers.

I was outside the office when they called him in to terminate him. He started threatening the XRay department director and the HR person there. He lunged at the director, I quickly stepped in and he backed off but kept making threats. I walked him out to his pick up truck and politely told him that he showed up on the property again the cops would be called and he'd be arrested. He told me several times that his beef wasn't with me and I told him I appreciated his respect. Staff in the Xray and ER departments were a little nervous for a few days but thankfully he never came back. About a month later he was shot and killed outside of a club in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I wasn't surprised that happened, but I felt bad for his family.

Hot headed people are unpredictable. Sometimes they don't do stuff, sometimes they show back up ready to die. Always take threats seriously but know the environment.

If you're working with anti-gun people and you decide that carrying is more important than working there, then by all means, do what you feel you need to do. I have carried a concealed firearm around people that I knew would throw me under the bus if they knew I was carrying. I didn't do it often, but I did it.

One final point, if you are good at your job and almost everyone respects the job you do and how you treat people, you'll have a little bit more leeway in a work environment. But don't ever think you're irreplaceable because no one is. Learning to work with others, especially those who have opposing political and religious beliefs, is a skill that comes in very handy. It's a fine line between sacrificing your core values but also not making co-workers feel like you're inflexible and not open minded. Get good at what you do. Be consistent at being good at what you do. Be someone people can count on, especially those who didn't initially like you.

i don't believe i saw that movie? if i did, i do not recall.

point being, someone...ANYONE, points a gun at YOU.. what the hell do you do?

take the shot and maybe die, or be crippled the rest of your life, and THAT person gets a slap on the wrist and then turns 18, the records sealed and he gets off basically scot free..??

i say, YOU (or i) shoot first. sure i'd be sued in civil court, i doubt i'd go to jail since it would have been self defense.

plastic gun? real gun?

do we really have time to size up what is being pointed at us?

in that recent school shooting, that kid already demonstrated he is/was more than willing to take a life.

i'll bet the court systems will try to "rehabilitate" him

i say, juvi detention until 18, then lifetime probation, sneeze in public, go back to prison.

if we do not get tough on crime, it'll continue to get worse, then what..???

anarchy, civil unrest, etc,etc.
If you're a fan of golden age Motown music, check "The Blues Brothers" movie out. It's also really comical in addition to the great music and some of the artists of that era. You'll "see" Ray Charles placing 2 accurate shots near a guitar that a kid was trying to steal, one of the best laughs of the film. See post #17 from Net Engineer on first page of this thread.

Last edited:
If you're a fan of golden age Motown music, check "The Blues Brothers" movie out. It's also really comical in addition to the great music and some of the artists of that era. You'll "see" Ray Charles placing 2 accurate shots near a guitar that a kid was trying to steal, one of the best laughs of the film. See post #17 from Net Engineer on first page of this thread.
well, not really a fan of blues, jazz, blue grass, honky tonk, etc,etc,

either talk radio, soft rock, some "new" country, for my listening pleasures.

and to annoy my neighbors early in the AM, when they played LOUD music all night long, and they are trying to sleep in the AM..??

me and the Mrs will open the windows and play
VERY LOUDLY , Pavarotti, and other OPERA music to bring down the houses all around us.....

and then they got the balls to complain..???

hey, noise ordinances codes here say "no loud noises after 7PM and up to 7 AM"......7 days a week.

you bet your sweet bippee, we play it, and go out shopping.......

somehow, we don't have any loud music at 2 AM anymore.

Back