testtest

Thinking about a “wheel gun”

I've never had any interest in the 8 3/8" barrels, that's just too long. But recently I had to buy one--the Umarex/S&W M29 CO2/BB replica, because that's the only version offered in the US at this time. If they ever offer it here with 6" or 4" barrels, I'll get another one and sell this one or give it to my son. Meanwhile, I'm having a certain amount of fun shooting a "Model 29" in my basement. :LOL:

Last edited:
Just ran across another option for you--Taurus Tracker (seen in Jan G&A magazine).

Comes with both 9mm and .38/.357 cylinders. Available in 3 or 6.5 inch barrel. Adjustable sights. Available in blue or stainless. Taurus seems to provide good value for the price paid.

As somebody who has both 686’s and a GP100…

Get another 686. You’ll be slightly disappointed by the GP when you compare.

Plus, in equal barrel lengths, the GP100 is slightly heavier than a 686 (40oz vs 39oz).
I gave a GP100 a go. I can't say I like that revolver. The results at 20 yards were very comparable to my 686 with 158 .38 special, "normal" 158 gr .357, and Buffalo Bore 180gr hardcasts. I think I need one. I love my Smith but Ruger's reputation for making their revolvers absolute tanks is just too good to pass up if I'm to be wandering the wilderness of the Rockies or Alaska. I really do wish more South American countries were cool with people bringing a handgun. Something about jaguars and peccary make me want a good revolver if either of them get froggy. Those damn south american pigs are about the nastiest thing in the jungle, unless a person decides too bother a Bushmaster. Those people have it coming.

I have been tinkering with the idea of getting a 10mm revolver so I could carry it during hunting season (no semi-autos for hunting in PA) and at the range with my 40s&w stock also. I was just surprised that Ruger's manual for the GP100 advises against using 40s&w as it will NOT fire reliably. Hmmm, the 610 advertises both calibers are usable.

I guess if Ruger can't get reliable results using 40s&w we shouldn't expect any either. If I buy it will probably be the 610.

From the GP100 manual ...

"The 10MM AUTO GP100® will function, and has been tested, with 40 S&W caliber ammunition, but may misfire (fail to fire) with some commercial ammunition. For this reason, Ruger does not recommend the use of 40 S&W ammunition in this revolver."

I guess if Ruger can't get reliable results using 40s&w we shouldn't expect any either. If I buy it will probably be the 610.

From the GP100 manual ...

"The 10MM AUTO GP100® will function, and has been tested, with 40 S&W caliber ammunition, but may misfire (fail to fire) with some commercial ammunition. For this reason, Ruger does not recommend the use of 40 S&W ammunition in this revolver."
Never knew this on the Ruger, ok one question does the Ruger need moon clips, if not then yea the 40 rounds would be shorter since the round needs to headspace on the cartridge mouth, the 610 needs the moon clips and it states you have to use them for both the 10mm and 40 S&W

Never knew this on the Ruger, ok one question does the Ruger need moon clips, if not then yea the 40 rounds would be shorter since the round needs to headspace on the cartridge mouth, the 610 needs the moon clips and it states you have to use them for both the 10mm and 40 S&W
Yes, the ruger uses moon clips also. It comes with 3.

Perhaps this is a silly thought: could it be because the 10mm is a large primer and .40 is small? Does Ruger use a different pin on the 10mm GP100 than on the .357 GP100? If not, then primer size shouldn't be an issue and I have no idea.

my 4 revolvers..

Ruger GP 100
View attachment 22997

Colt Python

View attachment 22998

S&W 686 Plus

View attachment 22999

Korth Mongoose

View attachment 23000
I gotta tell ya these are some fine revolvers. I love me some Gp100's as well as a few other Rugers, and the S&W's, especially the 686's are extra fine all over, and obviously those German Korth wheel guns are really hard to beat, but hands down and absolutely no question, when ever I hold a really clean Python, or even a really dirty Python, it's almost like an orgasm. I mean to say that's like dyin' and goin' to heaven !!!

I mean it just don't get any better than those big pl' snake guns !!! Yessiree-bob, love me some of those Colts !!!

I gotta tell ya these are some fine revolvers. I love me some Gp100's as well as a few other Rugers, and the S&W's, especially the 686's are extra fine all over, and obviously those German Korth wheel guns are really hard to beat, but hands down and absolutely no question, when ever I hold a really clean Python, or even a really dirty Python, it's almost like an orgasm. I mean to say that's like dyin' and goin' to heaven !!!

I mean it just don't get any better than those big pl' snake guns !!! Yessiree-bob, love me some of those Colts !!!
yeah, i may have mentioned, in that posting, but if not, i actually wanted the 6" Ruger GP 100, but there were none, so i figured the 2.5" will be a good buy, and dang if it ever was!!

i'd still like that 6" Ruger some day, but i ain't in no real rush.

Back