testtest

Thoughts on the Ruger Security-380?

wmg1299

Professional
I enjoy shooting guns chambered in .380 ACP, and currently carry a Ruger LCP Max as my backup/pocket gun. As a Ruger fan who likes .380 ACP guns, I feel like I'm supposed to be excited about the new Security-380. The gun has some features that I like (fiber-optic front sight, low MSRP), but it doesn't appeal to me as much as I thought it would.

I am a big fan of deep-concealment guns in .380, and I think that the LCP Max is probably the best backup/pocket gun currently on the market. I also appreciate metal-framed mid-sized .380s like the Beretta 84, Walther PPK, and Bersa Thunder lines. I really like metal framed pocket .380s like the Springfield 911 and the Sig Sauer P238 models. If Springfield could give the stack-and-a-half treatment to the 911, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

That being said, I'm not sure anyone was begging for a double-stack polymer-framed .380. Do you guys think that Ruger is delivering a winner with the Security-380, or is it the answer to a question that nobody asked?

It looks good, but I've never shot nor owned a 380. I guess the 380 is like a less than 9mm when comparing a 40s&w to a 10mm. I took a peak at the s&w 380 and it has a manual safety, but it's small. The ruger looks better.

I carry 380 a lot also, especially in summer. the ones I currently have is the Browning 1911 and taurus revolver. Never held or shot the Ruger but I like the looks of it.

20210530_130407.jpg

20210613_120113.jpg

personally, i just do not like 380's.

i had bought a new, never used S&W 380, i cannot recall the exact model, and shot it all of maybe 50 rounds.

cleaned it, lubed it, sold it, for a tad bit more than i bought it for actually.

i'd prefer my 9mm Hellcat 1st, then if i leave that home, i'll take the G-30.

i still need to buy a real nice (aka affordable) leather holster for my Ruger 2.5" GP 100 357, and that might have to be OWB, rather than AIWB that i have for the others.

I enjoy shooting guns chambered in .380 ACP, and currently carry a Ruger LCP Max as my backup/pocket gun. As a Ruger fan who likes .380 ACP guns, I feel like I'm supposed to be excited about the new Security-380. The gun has some features that I like (fiber-optic front sight, low MSRP), but it doesn't appeal to me as much as I thought it would.

I am a big fan of deep-concealment guns in .380, and I think that the LCP Max is probably the best backup/pocket gun currently on the market. I also appreciate metal-framed mid-sized .380s like the Beretta 84, Walther PPK, and Bersa Thunder lines. I really like metal framed pocket .380s like the Springfield 911 and the Sig Sauer P238 models. If Springfield could give the stack-and-a-half treatment to the 911, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

That being said, I'm not sure anyone was begging for a double-stack polymer-framed .380. Do you guys think that Ruger is delivering a winner with the Security-380, or is it the answer to a question that nobody asked?

It's a nice looking firearm. Like others have said, I'd prefer to carry a bigger caliber like 9 mm or 38 special. I have a Kel-Tec PF9 (9 mm) that is super easy to conceal in the pocket(mine is ALWAYS in a pocket holster). I have the extended magazine for it, so it fits my hand as well as my other semi-autos.

I don't think a 380 is a bad round but nowadays there's several 9 mm's that are about the same size. You might give up some magazine capacity going with a compact 9 mm over a 380 but most of us carry a compact 9 mm as a backup to something bigger(in my case a Beretta APX) or a "walk to the mailbox" firearm.

I'm all for semi-autos that are easy to rack, but if I have a choice between an easy to rack compact 380 or a 38 snubbie, the snubbie is going to win. Plus if you live in an area where rattlesnakes or other poisonous snakes are common, a 38 snubbie loaded with 38 special snake shot is very handy to have. I've killed a few Water Mocassins with my S&W 638 when I lived in Arkansas. Thankfully I haven't had to kill a rattlesnake in South Texas. I've seen them, but so far they have been heading in the opposite direction...:) A 38 special snubbie to me is a lot handier than a 380, not only for the simplicity, but for the ammo choices.

I am not a fan at all of Ruger semi autos and particularly the LCP and it's ilk so take this with a grain of salt.

I like it a hell of a lot better than any of the LCP iterations.

When I was a young timer, an old timer wanted me to have his new-in-the-box PPK he had no use for. I didn't accept the gift but after many years gone by I found a need for a small CCW.
The free PPK would have done the trick since most quality pistols were now in the +$300 range and gun funds were tight and limited.
Today, for me I don’t know if there’s a need for a .380 but with todays improved defensive ammo ($$$) it might be a consideration for some folks, but the P365/380 is of no size/wt benefit other than a bit less recoil over the 9mm…and that’s subjective anyway.

LGS put one in my hand the other day, probably hoping I would purchase it. Looked ok with the fancy sights but Ruger has been having a lot of issues with their autoloaders and I didn't need a 380. After trying to stick me with a Smith I wanted I went home and purchased online and saved myself just about $300. I have to wait to get it but i'm ok with that.

Although I won’t be running out to buy a Taurus Revolver in .380 that is a nice looking piece. I really like my
Taurus 605M
I bought it because it reminds me size wise of the old SW Terrier. Smaller than a jframe they are just perfect for hot weather pocket carry. It shoots very well, trigger pull was slightly heavy at first but it smoothed out. Shot it a ton the past couple years with a .380 laser cartridge.

Back