testtest

To dot, or not to dot, that is the question.

I know, I know. I carry for my safety and security only. I'm retired and my eyes are not what they were when I was younger. Most of my club members are on the fence. Please share your thoughts or experience.
Thanks in advance.
Like you I am older and with
“at this time” very mild (dry) MD in my left eye was apprehensive at first when thinking about adding an optic
“red dot” to my handguns however I have to say since I installed a Holosun on both my SA 3.8 Elite guns , 45 and 10mm my range time has improved significantly. I can get back on target quicker and with less strain on my eyes.
A definite big plus for me.

I truly wish I could offer wisdom on the subject, but it seems that you and I are "simmering in the same stew." My interests closely mirror your own. I will be paying close attention, hoping to glean information from our learned forum members.

I own one gun with a micro RDS on it. A Browning Buckmark. The gun came with a top rail and it was easy enough to mount, so I gave it a try. Frankly, I never could get the hang of it. I raise the gun and have to search for the dot every time. Works great when target shooting, but it slows me down badly. I wouldn't even consider one on a defensive handgun. But that's just me. YMMV. :rolleyes:

The way I figure it, most defensive shootings take place at point shooting range anyway. Why add extra bulk and weight to the gun to complicate things?

I know, I know. I carry for my safety and security only. I'm retired and my eyes are not what they were when I was younger. Most of my club members are on the fence. Please share your thoughts or experience.
Thanks in advance.
i have no guns, carry or range toys that have anything other than what the factories install.

and my eyes are maybe older than yours.

oh, i have tried guns owned by some of my range buddies have, but trying to acquire the target faster, over the factory sites..??

just wasn't for me.

yes, with practice comes expertise...

but i do quite well without "dots"......

I own one gun with a micro RDS on it. A Browning Buckmark. The gun came with a top rail and it was easy enough to mount, so I gave it a try. Frankly, I never could get the hang of it. I raise the gun and have to search for the dot every time. Works great when target shooting, but it slows me down badly. I wouldn't even consider one on a defensive handgun. But that's just me. YMMV. :rolleyes:

The way I figure it, most defensive shootings take place at point shooting range anyway. Why add extra bulk and weight to the gun to complicate things?
I'm with you Grayfox. I "owned" a XDS Mod 2.0 that came with CT red dot mounted on it. Spent many hours and ammo till I had to let it go or face dire consequences if I ever had to use it. I'd still be looking for "the dot". Hence, my apprehension. Holosun makes a HE507C with a ACSS Vulcan Reflex Sight for about $300.00, but I would really like to "try before I buy"...I'm saving for the new ??? from SA July 15th.

I'm with you Grayfox. I "owned" a XDS Mod 2.0 that came with CT red dot mounted on it. Spent many hours and ammo till I had to let it go or face dire consequences if I ever had to use it. I'd still be looking for "the dot". Hence, my apprehension. Holosun makes a HE507C with a ACSS Vulcan Reflex Sight for about $300.00, but I would really like to "try before I buy"...I'm saving for the new ??? from SA July 15th.
if one is waiting on the new introduction, maybe wait till the serial numbers are in like the 5 digits or more like the SA-35, to ensure it actually works....without sending it back to SA..??

i ain't gonna rush out to buy one.

not even if it is a new 1911. (in 45 ACP of course)

When I was younger with perfect vision, standard iron sights were perfectly adequate. Like most, as I’ve gotten older my near vision has gotten worse. My distance vision is fine, so I only need to wear glasses when reading or doing other up close work.

Now, in anything less than bright light, I simply can’t see iron sights clear enough to feel like I have a handle on things.

So for me it’s either stop carrying or go all in with optics. I’m going all in with optics.

I need reading glasses, so plain iron sights are tough for me to get a focus on. If I do, I’m focusing on the sights and not the target. I like the RDS I have on my Hellcat. I do carry a SA 911 in 380 at times with no RDS. I can work with it, but for me, I like the RDS better. It just takes a bunch of dry practice to bring the gun up and get that dot in the picture. But trying to line up irons takes just as long when the focus isn’t there. I also have a Kimber 45 that came with laser grips. I like that as well and is real quick to get the laser on target. But I practice about 1/4 of the time with the laser and 3/4 of the time with the irons. Lasers don‘t last nearly as long as a red dot.

Thanks in advance.
my thought is........... You are the only one that can make that decision, if you try it, and it works, there you go, if it doesn't, then it doesn't. simply put, you won't know, unless you try

all my pistols have iron sights, and i am fine with them that way. i have shot some range friend's pistols with rds' and i wasn't too fond of them. however, they were sighted in by them so i had difficulty finding the "dot". also, they blur a little for me due to astigmatism.
i do have a rds on a plinker 22 rifle and it is fun and pretty accurate out to 25 yards for me.
that's all i can offer.

Yes, for my EDC. I am older now and can no longer see my iron sights at all. That is the reason I made the switch. Some may argue (Wilson Combat Channel-The Old Guys) that MRDS for EDC are not necessary at close distances. I can argue the same thing about iron sights at these same distances.

I want to be able to clearly identify my target and my sight(s), and a MRDS was my only option.

Back