testtest

Too little too Late for ammo

All that is correct - there is no legal requirement.

However.

Look at the demographic (ok...the LIKELY demographic) of all these first-time, panic-buyers. Terrified of guns. Knows nothing of guns (black is scary). Willfully - to this point - have BLOCKED any knowledge input about guns out of willful ignorance.

Now? They have them at home.

They spent the money, but have not done the research, nor acquired the knowledge, in order to be safe around their new purchases. These are not rocket science, but mistakes can be fatal. Easily. While these folks may not need to take a "safety course", they need to do more than "fill the clip" and throw it in a drawer, waiting for the zombies to attack.

The constitution doesn't require training...but Darwin does. And I suspect we're going to see a flood of Darwin Award-winners this coming season. And as we all know...firearm accidents will come back on us responsible owners tenfold in the press - "SEE??? We TOLD you.... Guns are BAD!! mmmkay....."

I’m guessing you’re overreacting. Personally I think it’s a good thing. People who have decided having guns for self defense are less likely to vote for politicians who want to ban them.

I wouldn’t have a problem lifting ALL restrictions on firearms. Felons and nut jobs can get them already anyway. Laws don’t change that.

Such a pity all those who said they dont need guns or ammo are clammoring for it now. Those who regularly shoot probably have not even batted an eye about finding ammo. Its been on our home shelf all along

post online:
“Loving it out here in California. Every liberal anti-gunner in the state is lined up at near-empty gun stores, clamoring to buy whatever is left. They seem shocked and angry that they have to take a test and wait 10-days to get it! I think it may be dawning on them that when you restrict the rights of others, YOU may be the one left with an empty holster, now that you've suddenly decided guns are a good idea.
I started to prepare 20 years ago, as a rule, I keep 2000 rounds of ammo put back for each caliber of firearm I own .every 5 years I shoot a good bit of that ammo and replace it with new ammo. so If you have 2 AR-15 Rifles you should have 4000 rounds in Storage .

There are a lot of first time no experience buyers out there that maybe more cautious because they understand the dangers of unsafe handling and will seek out proper safety techniques.

With that being said I've seen guys who have a decent amount of experience handling firearms but lack basic safety skills.
I'm sure a few of you would agree with this statement if you've ever been to a range.

Safety is an earned skill that needs to be developed by the individual.

Last edited:
There are a lot of first time no experience buyers out there that maybe more cautious because they understand the dangers of unsafe handling and will seek out proper safety techniques.

With that being said I've seen guys who have a decent amount of experience handling firearms but lack basic safety skills.
I'm sure a few of you would agree with this statement if you've ever been to a range.

Safety is an earned skill that needs to be developed by the individual.

Can't be said enough! I've seen unsafe firearm handling from strangers to family. What really chaps my backside is the fact that family were the hardest to get to listen to what they had done as dangerous. :mad::eek:

Can't be said enough! I've seen unsafe firearm handling from strangers to family. What really chaps my backside is the fact that family were the hardest to get to listen to what they had done as dangerous. :mad::eek:
Totally hear what you are saying here!

A big peeve of mine is the: I know guy.
I've taken a few people to the range for their first time and tried teaching safe handling techniques just to hear from them: I know already or of course I know that.

These statements always come from the guy who's demonstrating bad handling.

After hearing this statement during a first timers range session it shows me how ignorant some people can be and it's also the last time I'll take them to the range.

The majority of people I've taken have been very receptive to the safety tips I've provided them.

Last edited:
Totally hear what you are saying here!

A big peeve of mine is the: I know guy.
I've taken a few people to the range for their first time and tried teaching safe handling techniques just to hear from them: I know already or of course I know that.

These statements always come from the guy who's demonstrating bad handling.

After hearing this statement during a first timers range session it shows me how ignorant some people can be and it's also the last time I'll take them to the range.

The majority of people I've taken have been very receptive to the safety tips I've provided them.

Yep! One of my worst cases is my brother-in-law who has been around firearms all his life. When I handed him my new ( at the time ) Ruger LCP II ( it was unloaded because I know how he is ) to look at he was one one side of the counter at his shop and I was on the other side . He picked it up with his finger on the trigger . I told him to get his finger off the trigger and he says to me .... It's unloaded isn't it. :eek: I said well you don't know for a fact that it is unloaded so get the ginger off the trigger.

Now for the other part of this conversation. All the time that we are having this conversation he is pointing the pistol at ME. I hollered at him about that too. Then went over all the safety rules .... his comment.... as you said " I know that !" :mad::mad:

Now you know why it was unloaded. The crazy thing about all this is that when he has one of his firearms out and loaded , he has never pointed one of them at me or anyone else that I know of. I don't understand what the disconnect is.

Yep! One of my worst cases is my brother-in-law who has been around firearms all his life. When I handed him my new ( at the time ) Ruger LCP II ( it was unloaded because I know how he is ) to look at he was one one side of the counter at his shop and I was on the other side . He picked it up with his finger on the trigger . I told him to get his finger off the trigger and he says to me .... It's unloaded isn't it. :eek: I said well you don't know for a fact that it is unloaded so get the ginger off the trigger.

Now for the other part of this conversation. All the time that we are having this conversation he is pointing the pistol at ME. I hollered at him about that too. Then went over all the safety rules .... his comment.... as you said " I know that !" :mad::mad:

Now you know why it was unloaded. The crazy thing about all this is that when he has one of his firearms out and loaded , he has never pointed one of them at me or anyone else that I know of. I don't understand what the disconnect is.
Oh man I’d be having a conniption fit if I was you there. The biggest thing I tell everyone before I take them to the range is “You always treat the firearm as if it is loaded at all times!!!!! I don’t care if you know it’s unloaded or if it’s even tore down on a table!!!!!”
I’ve taken alot of people out to the range to teach them and for the most part I’ve gotten a pretty good group. But there’s one in every crowd. It was my girlfriend at the point in time I told her if she can’t learn the term down range in the next five minutes she’s gonna be learning firearms by watching only. Because I would take all the guns away from her including her own.

I’m guessing you’re overreacting.

Nah. I just work with the public every day, and I know firsthand that you can't fix stupid. (well...you CAN...but then you get charged). Some people are relatively OK...but the vast majority (keep in mind I live 90 min from DC and 60 min from Baltimore) are prime candidates for natural de-selection. I'd like to believe the best...but life experience has taught me to be more...pragmatic?

See? I'm being positive/charitable and didn't use "pessimistic" there :giggle:

Well I disagree with all the people saying there’s going to be a slew of accidents from first time gun buyers. And more I disagree with those who opine that they should be forced to take some kind of training class. The fact is that a lot of us, myself included, like to train and we take various classes designed to increase our skill level as it pertains to self defense, gun safety etc. However, for many, many years a lot of us who were raised around guns carried them, used them and hunted with them without being forced to meet some arbitrary criteria with our skill level in order to exercise our 2nd amendment rights. Our dads taught us how to handle firearms. And let’s face it, it doesn’t take a genius or a class with some gun guru to grasp the basic tenets of safely handling a firearm. If I was a complete newbie to firearms I would still like my chances of survival in a SD situation WITH a gun as opposed to without a gun. If someone has some data that points to a significant problem involving people new to gun ownership I’d like to see it.

In any case, the constitution does not require meeting some mandated competency testing to exercise your right to self defense.
I agree Bassbob. The more gun owners out there the better concerning them join the fight against anti 2A laws. I do think these are first time buyers, but I think they are mainly buying these to shelter in place and have the firearm to protect their family's and possessions when they think the SHTF will happen. Once this pandemic is over, they'll either sell their firearm or become an enthusiast like us. At this point (if level headed), they'll take lessons and training.
I'm fairly new to firearms, having started in 2012 (after I quit drinking 🍺☹). I bought a Bushmaster XM-15 and S&W M&P 9mm full size and then got my State's carry permit. Never having fired a firearm (other than a pellet gun), I left both in their boxes, unloaded until I took several lessons. The point being is that some of us were first time buyers with no training (my parents were born and raised in NYC, so no help there), and you have to start somewhere. I, like Bassbob, think it's a good thing that new people are exercising their 2A rights.

I think the reference for what is happening is "situational ethics," or at least that is what I call it. Suddenly, people realize how vulnerable they are and decide they need a gun to protect themselves and loved ones. I personally saw this happen in my wife's family a few years ago.

I’m guessing you’re overreacting.

Nah. I just work with the public every day, and I know firsthand that you can't fix stupid. (well...you CAN...but then you get charged). Some people are relatively OK...but the vast majority (keep in mind I live 90 min from DC and 60 min from Baltimore) are prime candidates for natural de-selection. I'd like to believe the best...but life experience has taught me to be more...pragmatic?

See? I'm being positive/charitable and didn't use "pessimistic" there :giggle:

I work with the public everyday too brother. I work for a local utility and I work soley and completely in North St. Louis. Google it. :)

You're correct about them being mostly good candidates for natural selection. They all already have guns though so..... And they're mostly killing themselves with them so whatever. You know, except when they killed my best friend and also my laborer while they were covering for me on a job. And the 8 times I have had to dodge gunfire and the 3 times I have been shot at in the last 4 years. Less than 4 months ago I had a trio of .45 rounds go by my head so close I heard them wizzing through the air before I heard the report from the weapon. From the holes in the house behind me they couldn't have been more than 3' behind me.

Anyway, if stupid people kill themselves, callous as it sounds, I don't care. How many of them are accidentally killing innocent bystanders? I'm thinking that number is statistically insignificant.

Well I disagree with all the people saying there’s going to be a slew of accidents from first time gun buyers. And more I disagree with those who opine that they should be forced to take some kind of training class. The fact is that a lot of us, myself included, like to train and we take various classes designed to increase our skill level as it pertains to self defense, gun safety etc. However, for many, many years a lot of us who were raised around guns carried them, used them and hunted with them without being forced to meet some arbitrary criteria with our skill level in order to exercise our 2nd amendment rights. Our dads taught us how to handle firearms. And let’s face it, it doesn’t take a genius or a class with some gun guru to grasp the basic tenets of safely handling a firearm. If I was a complete newbie to firearms I would still like my chances of survival in a SD situation WITH a gun as opposed to without a gun. If someone has some data that points to a significant problem involving people new to gun ownership I’d like to see it.

In any case, the constitution does not require meeting some mandated competency testing to exercise your right to self defense.
You're so right, every new gun I've purchased comes with rules for gun safety right at the beginning of the handbook. As long as new gun owners read and follow these simple instructions they will be safe and so will everyone around them. Hopefully they will at least spend some time at a range getting comfortable with their new firearms and practicing the rules of safety.

Even though a lot of these are first time buyers does anyone have any info on how many are last minute converts from the left? Most purchasers are probably in the middle political voters who sense an extra need of insurance and probably don't invest much time or effort into 2A politics.

Just a thought!

Back