testtest

Traffic Stops: What CCW Citizens Need to Know

I haven’t been pulled over in almost 40 years. “Darn Proust jinxed myself”
When I lived in Texas “Eagle Pass”
And traveled north I had to pass through a border patrol check point. Always lowered all the windows. (Dark Tinted) and had my hands on the wheel. Answered all their questions. Never a problem. Never mentioned the gun on my hip.
Kentucky same way but haven’t had to.
Don’t speed.
Don’t draw attention to yourself.

The only time it come up for me was in an interview with a U. S. Attorney and and an FDA Special Agent in a restaurant. I said, "Oklahoma law requires that I tell you I have Conceal Carry Permit and I'm armed. Are we OK?" There was no problem.

I have considered making copies of my drivers Licence, Carry permit and Insurance verification and keeping in the sun visor over the diver seat to give the policeman before I dig the others out. I am not sure that's good idea.

The only time it come up for me was in an interview with a U. S. Attorney and and an FDA Special Agent in a restaurant. I said, "Oklahoma law requires that I tell you I have Conceal Carry Permit and I'm armed. Are we OK?" There was no problem.

I have considered making copies of my drivers Licence, Carry permit and Insurance verification and keeping in the sun visor over the diver seat to give the policeman before I dig the others out. I am not sure that's good idea.
I'd actually think this is a bad idea. Not quite sure how the law would see this but I'd think this would raise some red flags for the officer. I'd recommend speaking to an officer or court clerk about this before doing it. Just my $.02

Again not sure if that falls under unlawful use of license's in Oklahoma.

My learning experience cam when I was pulled over coming from work (no guns allowed on the property). I gave my DL to the officer and after a few minutes was toild via speaker to exit my vehicle hands visible. Officer asked if I had a CCP and why didn't I produce it, I told him I didn't have a gun so it didn't cross my mind. Then he gave me a brief lecture (learning lesson) after which I apologized and he went back to his vehicle leaving me at the rear of mine. He returned with my speeding ticket and we conversed more civilly for a brief period then left.

My learning experience cam when I was pulled over coming from work (no guns allowed on the property). I gave my DL to the officer and after a few minutes was toild via speaker to exit my vehicle hands visible. Officer asked if I had a CCP and why didn't I produce it, I told him I didn't have a gun so it didn't cross my mind. Then he gave me a brief lecture (learning lesson) after which I apologized and he went back to his vehicle leaving me at the rear of mine. He returned with my speeding ticket and we conversed more civilly for a brief period then left.
You need to give both your permit and your license (obviously) when you are stopped? I could see why you would have to do that if you were carrying.

This is what I worry about now that they have linked my permit to my license. It just automatically brings things to a level of 10 before you even say hello. Because we have gone through proper channels, and have been cleared to carry, we get more grief.

I admit not knowing exactly but I don’t believe making a copy of a government issued ID would not be permitted. I rode motorcycles for many many years and had my wallet in my back pocket for comfort and not wanting to lose it. Always put it in the trunk. I never got stopped but was always ready to explain if I did that I would have to dismount to retrieve my identification.
To Avoid being stopped is don’t draw attention to yourself. Don’t speed and follow all traffic laws.
Growing up in Connecticut I drove a tow truck and became friends with many police officers. What I was told was be respectful and answer questions honestly.

Minnesota does not have a duty to inform...and I won’t inform the officer unless requested to exit the vehicle. My PTC is not linked to my driver's license, so no worries there.

All it takes is one overly nervous officer to wreck my life (see: Philando Castile).

Not intentionally going off topic but I’m guessing we have all seen the YouTube videos of drivers getting stopped and refusing to answer the officers questions and I agree you don’t need to give an officer your life story but if you have been stopped you have been for many reasons. You have the right to know why you have been stopped but to be belligerent and or aggressive with an officer only adds to the stress of a traffic stop. This is compounded if you are carrying legally or for some illegally.
I’m sure we agree it’s the bad ones that give everyone a bad name.

We have legal concealed carry without a permit in KY. I’m not telling anyone anything unless it’s a cop and they specifically ask me if I have a gun.
Since I’m a Kentucky resident also for just over 4 years I feel comfortable carrying concealed. I’ve yet to get my CCP and will be this year I agree with Robotaz it’s no one’s business that I’m carrying.
I will at once tell an officer I have a weapon on me or in my truck for the safety of all.

Since I’m a Kentucky resident also for just over 4 years I feel comfortable carrying concealed. I’ve yet to get my CCP and will be this year I agree with Robotaz it’s no one’s business that I’m carrying.
I will at once tell an officer I have a weapon on me or in my truck for the safety of all.
Kentucky here also. I was doing the Constitutional Carry too, until just recently when our new dem govenor stated he intends to repeal the constitutional carry if possible. I decided to go ahead and get the state CCDW permit. I applied online, and had my permit within the 15 days it takes, vice the 90 days if you do the mail-in method. They charge an extra $10 for the online method, so the total came to $70. Checkout the KSP (Kentucky State Police) website for details and downloading forms.

Note: If you haven't taken a CC class, but you're former military with a DD-214, checkout the form for Military Affadavit of Training on the site.

Last edited:
Here in Illinois our carry license ( FCCL = firearms concealed carry license ) can be seen when our plates are ran. However as I stated in my other post , we do not have duty to notify unless asked.

I always have kept my hands in sight when pulled over. In the old days ( my late teens - early to mid 20's ) if you were pulled over , you got out and walked back to their car and got in the front seat with them.

Try that today and you would get shot.

In Michigan we are required to inform the LEO if we have a pistol. I’ve been pulled over once by MSP and I informed the young man I was carrying. He asked me where it was located and that was that. He let me off with a warning for expired tags. It was a company truck, I’m not that irresponsible. Lol

I haven’t been pulled over in almost 40 years. “Darn Proust jinxed myself”
When I lived in Texas “Eagle Pass”
And traveled north I had to pass through a border patrol check point. Always lowered all the windows. (Dark Tinted) and had my hands on the wheel. Answered all their questions. Never a problem. Never mentioned the gun on my hip.
Kentucky same way but haven’t had to.
Don’t speed.
Don’t draw attention to yourself.
In Texas now you have too inform them that you have a LTC, even if you are not carrying!

In Texas now you have too inform them that you have a LTC, even if you are not carrying!
In Texas if you fail to present your LTC even if you don’t have your firearm you could face charges of a small fine. I got pulled over about two months ago and I presented my DL the officer took it then got over the loud speaker and told me to put my hands out the window. When he came up he said where was my firearm? I told him at home sense I was leaving work I didn’t carry it! He then settled down and asked where my LTC was I presented it to him and he educated me that if I don’t present my LTC with my DL when stopped i could be fined up to $500 and I could loose my LTC. Apparently it automatically flags the officer (ARMED) when your name is pulled up. This apparently also happens if driving a vehicle registered to you it’ll flag when plates are ran.

Back