testtest

Training WithVehicle

Took a class where this was covered along with other situations and learned a lot. The most difficult part is when someone is in the passenger seat. We were taught how to instruct the passenger pre-threat but it proved to be uncomfortable from a mental standpoint for several adult family members and friends I talked to about it (not in the car). If I'm alone, OK, but with a passenger, I'll stick to the gas pedal, if I can, to escape which is my first choice anyway as you never know how a passenger will react under stress. I always leave room when stopping to have possible escape avenues as I always have, although this was also covered in the class. This is one of the most difficult situations we could face but, hopefully, won't. My advice would be to find good, professional training. You might inquire at a law enforcement agency to find a qualified instructor as I did,

Took a class where this was covered along with other situations and learned a lot. The most difficult part is when someone is in the passenger seat. We were taught how to instruct the passenger pre-threat but it proved to be uncomfortable from a mental standpoint for several adult family members and friends I talked to about it (not in the car). If I'm alone, OK, but with a passenger, I'll stick to the gas pedal, if I can, to escape which is my first choice anyway as you never know how a passenger will react under stress. I always leave room when stopping to have possible escape avenues as I always have, although this was also covered in the class. This is one of the most difficult situations we could face but, hopefully, won't. My advice would be to find good, professional training. You might inquire at a law enforcement agency to find a qualified instructor as I did,
(y)(y)

Not trying to abuse a cliche but most carjackings are preventable with situational awareness.
check mirrors often.
Leave space in front of you to drive away. Leave windows rolled up and doors locked.
Using or practicing with your vehicle in self defensive situations are a great idea however my take is the best training practice is keeping your head on a swivel to do everything you can avoiding putting yourself in a position to have to.

Not trying to abuse a cliche but most carjackings are preventable with situational awareness.
check mirrors often.
Leave space in front of you to drive away. Leave windows rolled up and doors locked.
Using or practicing with your vehicle in self defensive situations are a great idea however my take is the best training practice is keeping your head on a swivel to do everything you can avoiding putting yourself in a position to have to.
Good helpful tactics Keystone.
Try to always leave "Buffer space" (Escape or Evade room.) while driving or not. Know or learn "Impact Points" for about same reasons is another.

I will be attending a class tomorrow morning that incorporates automobiles. Not driving them though, just shooting from them. That is if it isn't cancelled because of tornadic thunderstorms that are rolling into the area now. :rolleyes:

Hope turns out good for you, have a great time! (y)(y)
Thanks Bob. Just got word that there will be a break in the weather so the class has been moved to 11-3 instead of 10-2. Should be a good class. I'm hoping Fed Ex drops my upper off before I go, otherwise I have to have my neighbor keep an eye out for it since no one will be here.

Well it was an awesome class. We didn't get to do any vehicle stuff. There was a rain delay and we spent a little extra time in the building doing drills with this.

Which was very cool and I will be buying one. Talk about saving on ammo.

We did get some shooting time in. Multiple failure drills, shooting while moving, shooting from retention and under stress, reloading drills, etc. Who would have thought I'm unnaturally good at shooting while moving. One of the other guys in the class is an Army combat veteran and I shot circles around him. That may be more of a reflection on him than me, but the fact is that we were shooting from 5 to 20 yards and I could count the shots I put outside the 7 ring on one hand. I think all that time I spend with the jarheads is paying off. That said, there's nothing like that laser deal to make you feel like an idiot. This guy is all about efficiency and consistency. Which makes sense. The least amount of movement from the draw to the shot. Using the way your body naturally reacts to your advantage.

Anyway, it was an extremely fun and enlightening class. Due to the late start and the rain delay everyone but me, the instructor and a young combat veteran marine who was assisting him everyone else had to leave before Bill ( the instructor) was ready to stop. So he invited me to stay and have some fun with his robots. It was a lot of fun.

Then when I got home my upper from BCA was waiting for me and man is it beautiful. Not a scratch or a flaw anywhere that I could find. I disassembled it, cleaned it, mated it to my lower, stuck a Romeo on it and put 30 rounds through it to check function. The Romeo was pretty damn close right out of the box, but I'll get it on the range and dial it in hopefully tomorrow. Rather an expensive day ammo wise, but it's the best day of my vacation week so far that's for sure.

I dig the side charging thing.

UfsUGuT.jpg

HOZQPdk.jpg

LjMwEqv.jpg

k5h8awc.jpg

Well it was an awesome class. We didn't get to do any vehicle stuff. There was a rain delay and we spent a little extra time in the building doing drills with this.

We did get some shooting time in. Multiple failure drills, shooting while moving, shooting from retention and under stress, reloading drills, etc. Who would have thought I'm unnaturally good at shooting while moving. One of the other guys in the class is an Army combat veteran and I shot circles around him. That may be more of a reflection on him than me, but the fact is that we were shooting from 5 to 20 yards and I could count the shots I put outside the 7 ring on one hand. I think all that time I spend with the jarheads is paying off. That said, there's nothing like that laser deal to make you feel like an idiot. This guy is all about efficiency and consistency. Which makes sense. The least amount of movement from the draw to the shot. Using the way your body naturally reacts to your advantage.

Anyway, it was an extremely fun and enlightening class. Due to the late start and the rain delay everyone but me, the instructor and a young combat veteran marine who was assisting him everyone else had to leave before Bill ( the instructor) was ready to stop. So he invited me to stay and have some fun with his robots. It was a lot of fun.

Then when I got home my upper from BCA was waiting for me and man is it beautiful. Not a scratch or a flaw anywhere that I could find. I disassembled it, cleaned it, mated it to my lower, stuck a Romeo on it and put 30 rounds through it to check function. The Romeo was pretty damn close right out of the box, but I'll get it on the range and dial it in hopefully tomorrow. Rather an expensive day ammo wise, but it's the best day of my vacation week so far that's for sure.

UfsUGuT.jpg

HOZQPdk.jpg

LjMwEqv.jpg

k5h8awc.jpg
Sometimes going with the flow or in this case, riding out the storm may've been the best choice?
Can yield to some interesting, unexpected and surprising outcomes? :) Sounds like you had a blast!
And, your gun looks great too!

UfsUGuT.jpg

HOZQPdk.jpg

LjMwEqv.jpg

k5h8awc.jpg
Nice rifle.
Glad you had fun in class. I always enjoy class/range time even on courses I’ve done before.

time for a Bravo or Magpul stock on that bad boy 😉

Nice rifle.
Glad you had fun in class. I always enjoy class/range time even on courses I’ve done before.

time for a Bravo or Magpul stock on that bad boy 😉
I bought an MOE SL-K. I put it on my Witch Doctor and took the stock off it and put it on this rifle. I will eventually put a different stock on this one. Most likely I will take the Romeo off it and put a scope of some sort on it too. My intention ultimately is for this one to be used as a range gun for longer distances, presumably utilizing match grade .223 ammo. It is .223 Wylde so it seems like the thing to do.

Regarding the class, I have done a lot of that stuff before. There was a lot of just reinforcing basic fundamentals. In the scheme of this guy's program, that class was the one you take after you have taken his ccw class. So I have done more advanced training than what this class involved, but I was and am looking for an in on this guy's program. My primary interest frankly is some advanced Shotgun and Carbine classes he does which usually end up being one on one. Except that I got a buddy of mine in that class with me and he is also interested in the other stuff so it may end up being just a couple of us. A lot depends on Bill's ( The instructor) schedule. He's a police captain who is a year or two away from retiring. He's building up his facility, staff and clientele so when he retires he can do this full time.

I can see possibly at some point being a part time member of his staff. I think that would be fun and rewarding.

UfsUGuT.jpg

HOZQPdk.jpg

LjMwEqv.jpg

k5h8awc.jpg
The electronic targeting system sounds like could be a good thing! - Like how can buy individual pieces with that system, could make more useful.

The iTarget Pro may be a very good use for secondary or unused cell phones too? - Should be doable.

Not sure on how good or not this other thought might be, but having an adjustable on/off/variable sound of actual shot sound might be a good thing? (Might have to try one out to see!) Electronic blips, if sound equipped, aren't really quite the same thing. Reasoning? May help reduce flinching responses? If don't like or need quiet surroundings, simply reduce sound or turn off sound?

.....Yah, do realize sound would likely come from phone and not gun. But? Alternative might be micro amp, receiver, speaker built into cartridge? Momentary contact switch on rubber primer? Sort of kidding, sort of not. Likely is and should be doable/possible. May sound a bit crazy? - But, when can buy paper greeting cards playing sounds/songs when opened? Recoil solutions might be another thing though? May have to refer to "Whoopee Cushions" for that? :)

I've tried vehicle training out in the desert. I'm always scared I'm going to either shoot the top of my hood, or shoot my side view mirror. So, very slow, and always conscious of the sight height over bore. Also, I have a black truck, and the desert is the only place I can do this, so I've burned myself on the truck finish multiple times.

I've tried vehicle training out in the desert. I'm always scared I'm going to either shoot the top of my hood, or shoot my side view mirror. So, very slow, and always conscious of the sight height over bore. Also, I have a black truck, and the desert is the only place I can do this, so I've burned myself on the truck finish multiple times.
Understandable.
Usually better to go slow when practicing and then build up speed naturally.
Black's and dark colors are pretty cool until it's not?

Back