testtest

Training WithVehicle

Usually better to go slow when practicing and then build up speed naturally.

That's a fact. Somethings look really simple but when you try to do them at speed you realize you effed up. Even something as simple as assuming proper stance, drawing a concealed handgun from under a shirt, rotating as soon as you clear the holster, pushing your hands up to your line of sight and hitting a target 10 feet away. All sounds nice and simple. And really it is, but if you don't do it over and over and over until it's muscle memory, doing it properly in a couple of seconds can be very difficult. So you start slow and increase speed as you can.

I've tried vehicle training out in the desert. I'm always scared I'm going to either shoot the top of my hood, or shoot my side view mirror. So, very slow, and always conscious of the sight height over bore. Also, I have a black truck, and the desert is the only place I can do this, so I've burned myself on the truck finish multiple times.

Don't forget muzzle blast!!!!!

Not so much the pistol (carbon stippling of your vehicle's interior trim, however, is possible), but definitely the AR and AK!

Don't forget muzzle blast!!!!!

Not so much the pistol (carbon stippling of your vehicle's interior trim, however, is possible), but definitely the AR and AK!
I haven't fired an AR from inside my truck yet, as my shortest AR was still a 10.5" before, and it's still too long to maneuver from the driver seat.

I have built a 7.5" with a blast forward device since. I'm going to try that one from inside vehicle. Maybe go with a low mount optic on it instead of co-witness, so the height over bore issue is minimized.

The electronic targeting system sounds like could be a good thing! - Like how can buy individual pieces with that system, could make more useful.

The iTarget Pro may be a very good use for secondary or unused cell phones too? - Should be doable.

Not sure on how good or not this other thought might be, but having an adjustable on/off/variable sound of actual shot sound might be a good thing? (Might have to try one out to see!) Electronic blips, if sound equipped, aren't really quite the same thing. Reasoning? May help reduce flinching responses? If don't like or need quiet surroundings, simply reduce sound or turn off sound?

.....Yah, do realize sound would likely come from phone and not gun. But? Alternative might be micro amp, receiver, speaker built into cartridge? Momentary contact switch on rubber primer? Sort of kidding, sort of not. Likely is and should be doable/possible. May sound a bit crazy? - But, when can buy paper greeting cards playing sounds/songs when opened? Recoil solutions might be another thing though? May have to refer to "Whoopee Cushions" for that? :)

Got a call from the guy. The next class is Saturday August 7th. Should be more my speed.

Carjackings are going to occur one or two ways. You are either already sitting in the vehicle, or you are outside the vehicle just getting out or just getting in.

We did some shooting from vehicles in protective services training years ago but it became apparent to everyone early on that mashing the accelerator to get out of the kill zone was a quicker option if you could do it. But if you can't move, you gotta deal with what you have. We had trained people with shotguns and or subguns but pistols got into the act as well.

I have run some live fire vehicle scenarios by request in advanced training courses on my range where we used my open side-by-side ATV and then moved up to a SUV. We emphasize getting off the "X" and a desirable response. Dry fire run throughs are essential for safety. Things like drawing in a confined space, clearing the steering wheel and other obstructions with the pistol without covering yourself, holster selection, and muzzle blast inside the cab come into sharp focus in these scenarios.

If you want to practice something that is useful, when sitting in the driver's seat with a seatbelt on and a cleared pistol holstered, draw the pistol and bring it to bear on the driver's side window (in a safe direction). You may be surprised with what you get. It will make you think about your equipment and time. Practice it a couple hundred times to build neuromuscular memory.

Bassbob I am interested in knowing about the training you are attending.

Carjackings are going to occur one or two ways. You are either already sitting in the vehicle, or you are outside the vehicle just getting out or just getting in.

We did some shooting from vehicles in protective services training years ago but it became apparent to everyone early on that mashing the accelerator to get out of the kill zone was a quicker option if you could do it. But if you can't move, you gotta deal with what you have. We had trained people with shotguns and or subguns but pistols got into the act as well.

I have run some live fire vehicle scenarios by request in advanced training courses on my range where we used my open side-by-side ATV and then moved up to a SUV. We emphasize getting off the "X" and a desirable response. Dry fire run throughs are essential for safety. Things like drawing in a confined space, clearing the steering wheel and other obstructions with the pistol without covering yourself, holster selection, and muzzle blast inside the cab come into sharp focus in these scenarios.

If you want to practice something that is useful, when sitting in the driver's seat with a seatbelt on and a cleared pistol holstered, draw the pistol and bring it to bear on the driver's side window (in a safe direction). You may be surprised with what you get. It will make you think about your equipment and time. Practice it a couple hundred times to build neuromuscular memory.

Bassbob I am interested in knowing about the training you are attending.
The way Captain Curry explained his car jacking scenario is pretty much exactly as you just described. We will be seat belted into a car and a robot will attempt to “ Carjack” us. I believe we will be starting out with the laser system not live ammo. You will have to graduate to that level.

Back