testtest

True Velocity Polymer-Cased Cartridge?

Pro Digy II

Professional
True Velocity is the ammo manufacturer that was partnering with General Dynamics for the NGSW contract. Their offering was a polymer-cased .277 cartridge. They've been selling polymer-cased .308 for close to $3/cartridge, but now there are some 55gr FMJ 5.56 for an almost-OK price... Wondering if someone has ever tried it (I know I will, I like to try things out). I'm sure there is a lot of marketing hype, and it isn't reloadable, but this is interesting enough to me... It's sold at Cabela's, so easy to get.

1699381889008.png

1699381761940.png

Not tried any, ordered or seen 1st hand.
Trying to order through Cabela, and get the usual "something went wrong" not able to order. Went to Bass Pro, which is the same company, and went through but absolutely no e-mail confirmation, no trace of it in my Bass Pro history but I see it on my CC as pending... These companies' websites and order processing are getting worse by the minute!

It's supposed to arrive next week, can't wait to try it out... $1.25/round isn't going to be my range ammo, but it's for science :ROFLMAO:

The concept isn’t new; been around since the 1970’s (maybe even late ‘69’s).

Execution has been…problematic.

I’d probably buy a box off the shelf if I saw it, just to give it a whirl…but I wouldn’t pay shipping for it.

Rather see the truly caseless, like the HK G11 used come about…
IMG_3403.jpeg

The concept isn’t new; been around since the 1970’s (maybe even late ‘69’s).

Execution has been…problematic.

I’d probably buy a box off the shelf if I saw it, just to give it a whirl…but I wouldn’t pay shipping for it.

Rather see the truly caseless, like the HK G11 used come about…View attachment 46739
Precisely what I did. TV wanted $15 shipping to deliver in 2 weeks while Bass Pro is free shipping next week, go figure...
Love the name of the company who was making the G11 cartridge "Dynamit Nobel", very cool they kept the name and are still in business!

For a polymer casing. It's not worth the price to even try. I'll stick to brass or nickel casing munitions. When I heard about them, I thought it'd be affordable. But I was wrong. Cabela's got 20rnd boxes for like $69.99.
$69.99 for 20 rounds is for 308, which isn't great, but then again $55.99 for Sig hunting ammo (arguably different bullet). 20 round boxes of 5.56 are $24.99, just ordered a few. $1.25/round isn't that crazy...

Like everything, new stuff cost more, I see it as the cost of personal education. Doesn't mean I'm going to stock 5,000 rounds, but I ordered4 5.56 boxes from Bass Pro to try it for under $100 shipped.

Last edited:
$69.99 for 20 rounds is for 308, which isn't great, but then again $55.99 for Sig hunting ammo (arguably different bullet). 20 round boxes of 5.56 are $24.99, just ordered a few. $1.25/round isn't that crazy...

Like everything, new stuff cost more, I see it as the cost of personal education. Doesn't mean I'm going to stock 5,000 rounds, but I ordered4 5.56 boxes from Bass Pro to try it for under $100 shipped.
Hard pass for me. I'd rather spend that $100 on 100 rounds of Mil-grade (green) 00B, which patterns only slightly worse than the 9 pellet Flite Control.

Hard pass for me. I'd rather spend that $100 on 100 rounds of Mil-grade (green) 00B, which patterns only slightly worse than the 9 pellet Flite Control.
Why not both? $1/shell is pretty darn good, where'd you get that?

I spent $99 on 80 rounds of True Velocity shipped, it's not that bad. $69.99/box was just fake news :D It's just for testing purposes, trying things out.

On the other hand, I'm trying Fenix Ammo 5.56 for $0.48/round, we've got to support the small guys as at some point they might be the only ones we can depend on.

Why not both? $1/shell is pretty darn good, where'd you get that?

I spent $99 on 80 rounds of True Velocity shipped, it's not that bad. $69.99/box was just fake news :D It's just for testing purposes, trying things out.

On the other hand, I'm trying Fenix Ammo 5.56 for $0.48/round, we've got to support the small guys as at some point they might be the only ones we can depend on.
Eh, I'm sitting pretty good with 5.56. I won't be buying any for awhile. I always need 12 gauge. Even when I'm sitting on about 5000 rounds I need it.

Eh, I'm sitting pretty good with 5.56. I won't be buying any for awhile. I always need 12 gauge. Even when I'm sitting on about 5000 rounds I need it.

Darn good price, thanks for the link! I can't do anything training-wise with anything but slugs, but that doesn't mean I can't buy any, always good to have some reserve :D

Since my wife is now hooked on shooting AR (I lost my PSA-15 too, along my M18 and preemptively my Sig 716 although this "deal" is not finalized yet), we go once a week to shoot 5.56, the reserves are going fast on these!

Darn good price, thanks for the link! I can't do anything training-wise with anything but slugs, but that doesn't mean I can't buy any, always good to have some reserve :D

Since my wife is now hooked on shooting AR (I lost my PSA-15 too, along my M18 and preemptively my Sig 716 although this "deal" is not finalized yet), we go once a week to shoot 5.56, the reserves are going fast on these!
3rd best 00B in my opinion. Maybe 4th. I’m not fully finished with my “testing” of the Force X2.

I train with #1, #4 , 00B and slugs. Cheap stuff for the range mostly. Sterling or Rio.

Main defensive rounds are Federal Flite Control 8 and 9 pellet, the aforementioned green Mil-Spec, Federal Tru Ball 1600 fps rifles slugs and Brenneke. So far the Force X2 has performed excellent. It’s good for situations where you aren’t necessarily looking for tight, controlled hits. Sometimes a little spread is good. They reliably and consistently separate in two upon contact, as advertised.

I’m a huge fan of Federal for defensive ammunition.

I should mention that if you’re a typical homeowner who just has a pump close by for home defense with just the ammo in the tube, I recommend not using the Force X2. It seems to me if you’re limiting yourself to one specific round to cover every situation, that round should pattern as tightly as possible.

The problem with caseless ammunition is that no case is ejected from the fire arm, well, because its caseless. Thus all the heat that would have been carried away with the case is not and the firearm gets hotter much quicker.

The Polymer case does carry away heat as it is ejected. Polymer doesn't conduct heat as well as brass or steel. I forget if that works for or against keeping the firearm cooler, the Polymer would absorb as much heat as the brass, but it also would conduct less heat to the chamber as the round is fired. If it ran the firearm cooler, it would be beneficial for a small machine gun that biggest issue is handling heat in a small package.

Polymer of course has advantages and disadvantages compared against metal cases. The advantages I read about is that the way it is formed makes for advantages in directing pressures to propel the round. It also can be formed more consistently than metal. And what makes for good match ammo? Consistency.

Its a new technology, bug will have to be worked out, it is not in mass production yet. Cost will come down with economy of scale, so for the moment its advantages only available in small scale productions at a higher cost makes sense for very consistent match ammo.

Back