testtest

Under the pillow or in the nightstand?

KLGunner

Staff member
So this was literally a conversation I just had and wanted to get your take on this. Where is a quicker or better place to have your response pistol at night when your asleep? “When I’m asleep I have one under my pillow in arms reach. This way if a burglar walks in it’s as simple as pull it out from under the pillow role over and bam on target.” This was the response of the person I was talking to. A lot of us use the term nightstand gun so it’s ether on the nightstand or in a drawer.
What’s your opinion?

I like nightstand. Always in the same place if set up properly. Under the pillow... what if it falls between the head board and mattress gets stuck or hit the floor or you can’t find it in the heat of the moment. At least in the night stand you know exactly where it is at all times. Just my take

I like nightstand. Always in the same place if set up properly. Under the pillow... what if it falls between the head board and mattress gets stuck or hit the floor or you can’t find it in the heat of the moment. At least in the night stand you know exactly where it is at all times. Just my take
Yea that was kinda my statement as well to him. His response to that was “I’ve done this way for years never had that issue.”

Both. With guests in the house under the pillow. Without guest either. Starting to make house a little more defensible too: heavy doors, locks, etc. a work in progress.

I sleep with a double action revolver under my pillow. Sleeping with a gun under your pillow is probably not the wisest choice, but I feel a revolver is least likely to suffer an accidental discharge.

mine is in my night stand I think its a safer way and I have two dogs that will let me know if someone is about to see it

I do on top of the nite stand in a soft holster. Keeps trigger undercover till you have gun control.

Our bathroom has a gun vault . You know what they say s--t happens.

Always keep my 12 gauge under the matress in our RV and two gun vaults in RV. One accessible from inside and one accessible from exterior. When we are RVing I use the nite stand and soft holster.

I have a couple of dogs in the house and an alarm system so the odds of someone sneaking up on me at night while I'm sleeping are nearly zero. That said, I err on the side of caution and keep my 1911 ready to go while locked in a dedicated safe in a drawer in my nightstand.

So this was literally a conversation I just had and wanted to get your take on this. Where is a quicker or better place to have your response pistol at night when your asleep? “When I’m asleep I have one under my pillow in arms reach. This way if a burglar walks in it’s as simple as pull it out from under the pillow role over and bam on target.” This was the response of the person I was talking to. A lot of us use the term nightstand gun so it’s ether on the nightstand or in a drawer.
What’s your opinion?
I have a mattress holster. Same concept, pull it out and bam, as you said. I personally think the nightstand is less convenient.

Do you understand most people clench your fist at night while you sleep. If for some reason your hand is on your firearm you better hope it is not pointed at someone. Plus I bet you will have hearing lose after that

Plus you need to make sure you are awake before you have a firearm in your hands. Maybe you don't have kids that can walk in and scare you in the middle of the night but other things can happen too.

Living 60 miles north of the southern border my wife and I keep our EDCs within arms reach attached to the bed frame with magnets. But this is only part of a layered defense. We have dogs and fencing also. Recently attached a laser to my Saint AR15 .300 black out pistol and keep it between the bed and night stand. Its loaded with 220 grain sub sonic ammunition. We are fortunate enough to live in a constitutional carry state. We do not leave our house unarmed. Sometimes open carry depending on the situation. But mostly Concealed. When walking or hiking its open carry. We have mountain lion, rabid animals and Rattlesnakes. Best to be prepared at all times weather sleeping or wide awake.

Back