testtest

Under the pillow or in the nightstand?

I have mine on the nightstand. But it's laying to where I have to pick it up with my left hand. If I needed my left arm to defend myself then gun in laying on the wrong side. It seems like a no win situation. I need one on nightstand for left handed and one attached to side of bed for right handed so I could cover both scenarios.

I have mine on the nightstand. But it's laying to where I have to pick it up with my left hand. If I needed my left arm to defend myself then gun in laying on the wrong side. It seems like a no win situation. I need one on nightstand for left handed and one attached to side of bed for right handed so I could cover both scenarios.
They say two is better than one. You just proved the point. Lots of good information being contributed.

So this was literally a conversation I just had and wanted to get your take on this. Where is a quicker or better place to have your response pistol at night when your asleep? “When I’m asleep I have one under my pillow in arms reach. This way if a burglar walks in it’s as simple as pull it out from under the pillow role over and bam on target.” This was the response of the person I was talking to. A lot of us use the term nightstand gun so it’s ether on the nightstand or in a drawer.
What’s your opinion?
Nightstand for me as I have kids and a wide that may end up in bed with me. I also have nightmares and such, I need a bit more seperation then a pillow. Having said that, however, when I was single I kept my pistol under my pillow. It depends on your situation.

I'm a restless sleeper and couldn't/wouldn't sleep with a gun under the pillow. Fingers always seemed to gravitate right into the trigger guard and I'd probably have an AD if the gun wasn't holstered. As I live alone, I have several guns within easy access. One side of the bed has a mini fridge which has a bio-metric GunVault on top that I keep proped opened with a piece of wood to prevent accidental lid closing (fingerprint reader doesn't always work first several times). Other side is nightstand with pistols in each drawer also on top of bio-metric safes, and I have several mattress holders containing longer guns on each side. When people come over, guns all get locked securely away.

My "nightstand" gun is a bit of a beast with a can, light and RDS so it lives attached to the side of the nightstand with a magnet strip. I also have a KSG with light and RDS within arms reach in the bedroom, but that's more of a thing to hand to the wife while I clear the house, should the need arise.

I've read places that even if you have a gun in a secure safe at your nightstand, you don't want a gun without a safety of some sort on it as you'll be fumbling in the dark to grab it out of there (versus out of a holster) and might engage the trigger when you are pulling it. None of my carry guns have safeties, so this would throw a monkeywrench into using my carry gun as my home defense gun in a storage safe. What do you all think of this thinking? Is it a must to have a safety on your home defense gun that's in a storage safe?

I've read places that even if you have a gun in a secure safe at your nightstand, you don't want a gun without a safety of some sort on it as you'll be fumbling in the dark to grab it out of there (versus out of a holster) and might engage the trigger when you are pulling it. None of my carry guns have safeties, so this would throw a monkeywrench into using my carry gun as my home defense gun in a storage safe. What do you all think of this thinking? Is it a must to have a safety on your home defense gun that's in a storage safe?

Definitely a personal preference. If you train and build your reflexes using proper techniqus, safeties would not be required.

Adding a safety release to acquiring your weapon could add to reaction time when removing weapon from a vault. In my opinion.

Personally I used to think this exact same way. But I trained myself doing dry fire exercises and I’ve noticed my finger hasn’t once went into the trigger guard.

I have holster mounts on the bedframe for my EDC holster. Depending where I change clothes at the end of the day, my EDC either ends up there, or in the gun safe.

I sleep on the side of the bed furthest from the door. No kids, no wife, just dogs.

My 12ga pump is between the bed and the nightstand, full tube but empty chamber (the racking noise is half the effectiveness of a pump, anyway).

You couldn't PAY me to keep a firearm under my pillow.

I keep a pistol on my nightstand at night. Same place at all times. I also have two adult german shepherds and a 8 week old shepherd. Like someone else mentioned, that reduces the likely hood of an intruder ending up in my bedroom pretty significantly.

When I leave the house the weapon gets placed back in its safe spot.

Back