testtest

Understanding the Hellcat U-Dot Sights

Great article! I've never really liked the "three dot" set up as I found all the dots a bit confusing when trying fast snap shot.s This seems like a really good solution that would be easy to pick up. Anyone here have a Hellcat with these and used them? What do you think?

Hello all, here is an article for discussion that was previously posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled Understanding the Hellcat U-Dot and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/understanding-the-hellcat-u-dot/.

Great gun and could not be happier that I picked one up. This sighting system is terrific. Easy to see, easy to use, great in bright light and low-light. Exceptional. I'd think you'd have to pay $100 at least to get sights like this added on. Anyone else agree?

I agree Mike. As you may recall, I unfortunately didn't buy the OSP version of the Hellcat 🤦‍♂️, but when I took my Hellcat to the range, the sights were fantastic. While there, I shot the Hellcat, Sig P365, Walther CCP M2, Glock G43, and my CZ 2075 BD. All good shooters, but by far the sights on the Hellcat were the best for acquiring and then reacquiring the target for follow up shots.

I very much like the U-notch/bold front sight concept. Muted rear tritium is nice, but not necessary.

The stock night sights on the FN-X’s are a prime example...I think they’re made by Warren Tactical? Muted yellow rear dots, nice bright green front with a large white ring...fast, and accurate.

S&W also had the right idea with their Night Guard series of revolvers; an XS Tritium Big Dot front, and a Cylinder & Slide (iirc) fixed rear U-notch with no tritium. Anyone who says the Big Dot isn’t an accurate sight...we’ll, Ive hot soda cans at 25 yards using that system...it'll do just fine.

I liked the sights on the Hellcat I shot...it would be nice if they brought it out for other pistols.

I very much like the U-notch/bold front sight concept. Muted rear tritium is nice, but not necessary.

The stock night sights on the FN-X’s are a prime example...I think they’re made by Warren Tactical? Muted yellow rear dots, nice bright green front with a large white ring...fast, and accurate.

S&W also had the right idea with their Night Guard series of revolvers; an XS Tritium Big Dot front, and a Cylinder & Slide (iirc) fixed rear U-notch with no tritium. Anyone who says the Big Dot isn’t an accurate sight...we’ll, Ive hot soda cans at 25 yards using that system...it'll do just fine.

I liked the sights on the Hellcat I shot...it would be nice if they brought it out for other pistols.
They are if you look at the Elites some have them installed as well.

Excellent article and right on. I find the Hellcat iron sights very quick to acquire, Not target sights but excellent shooting steel. My combination of Red dot and co witness of existing sights very satisfying. Love it.
I don't quite understand the "co witness" of the red dot and the iron sights. If you are on target with the iron sights, wouldn't the red dot be hidden behind (or on top of) the front sight? I read the article about red dot and there was a sight picture with the red dot noticeably above the front sight.

I have never looked at a red dot, but am considering it due to "aging eyes", so I would like to better understand how this works. Thanks for your help.

My understanding is yes, you are correct. You'll see the red dot superimposed on the front sight. Co-witness is not a given with a dot, some are installed too "tall" on the gun, and their base physically blocks the iron sights. Co-witness is nice in that, if your dot battery dies, you still have fully visible iron sights.

My XDs' green laser (rail-mounted Viridian) "co-witnesses" with my iron sights when I use a standard sight picture - it disappears behind the front sight when I use it near my zero-range-point of 7 yards. I can't see the dot itself, but I can see the halo peeking out from behind the front post sight much like an eclipse peeks around the moon.

Hello all, here is an article for discussion that was previously posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled Understanding the Hellcat U-Dot and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/understanding-the-hellcat-u-dot/.

Hey Mike H I could not be any happier than I am with the Springfield Armory HELLCAT OSP 9MM and its wonderful U Dot Sights there is nothing I dislike about this firearm when it comes to firearms of this size it's above the rest by Far Price Quality Workmanship and Design. I plan to purchase another but in the Non-OSP version when its back in stock at the gun shop. My Daughter In Law also has HELLCAT OSP and she came in second place in a Ladies Bowling Pin Match not bad for her first time shooting Pins at 25' she also has the shield optic installed she purchased it when they first hit the shelves what drew her to it was the U -DOT Sight grip and feel and its natural point of aim.

Focus on the front sight is key to a tight shot group and that Big Dot helps with that focus. I can hit a thumbtack at 25' with my HellCat 9mm & XDM 9mm Pistols.

A little off topic but still on the Hellcat sight. I carry IWB appendix, and the pointy corner of the Hellcat's rear sight sticks me. Anybody else, any thoughts on filing/grinding down the pointy corner of the sight? I have a Sig P 365 and don't have a problem with it but I would rather carry the Hellcat. Comments?

I don't quite understand the "co witness" of the red dot and the iron sights. If you are on target with the iron sights, wouldn't the red dot be hidden behind (or on top of) the front sight? I read the article about red dot and there was a sight picture with the red dot noticeably above the front sight.

I have never looked at a red dot, but am considering it due to "aging eyes", so I would like to better understand how this works. Thanks for your help.
I'll try to answer two questions here in one post.

1st, I really do like the open U (ball in the bucket) sights on my Hellcat. Although I didn't shoot a whole lot of rnds through it before adding the "SMSc" red dot sight, it didn't take too many rnds to get used to the unique open sights. Agreed they are a little different than most of us are familiar with, and a little intimidating at first glance, but within 20-30 rnds I think I was shooting about my average with any other of my guns/sights combinations.

Now about the red dot ...... as mentioned I ultimately decided on the "SMSc" direct from SA. It was about $100 more than the "RomeoZero" and about $200 less than the "RMSc". At the time and the best I knew from my research, these were the only 3 red dots available for the "Hellcat". I have no regrets at all.

My red dot (the actual dot) is placed directly on top of the original front sight at 12:clock, and I mean 'directly on top' and co-witnesses easily and clearly. There is no discernable space between the top of the front sight and the bottom of the red dot. I verified that position using a chambered red laser at 20 yards. I didn't have access to another 5 yards, but my guess is given that additional 5 yrds the point of impact would be even a little closer...... but maybe not! Since I don't ever intend to be in a long range shoot-off with my little gun, I'm not all that concerned.

When shooting offhand it'll impact just as if I held the front post at 6:clock on my target. So close I really don't think I could actually measure any difference between the two sight's individual effectiveness. Oh yeh, and all this was with some of those "aging eyes". The trick is to focus out there on the dot and not on the reflex glass.

On edit: correct a misspelling and add about the "aging eyes".

regards,
jumpinjoe

Last edited:
A little off topic but still on the Hellcat sight. I carry IWB appendix, and the pointy corner of the Hellcat's rear sight sticks me. Anybody else, any thoughts on filing/grinding down the pointy corner of the sight? I have a Sig P 365 and don't have a problem with it but I would rather carry the Hellcat. Comments?
What holster are you using? Usually an IWB will have a pad of leather between you and the sight. I'd recommend looking into that before I'd go filing on a perfectly good sight. Or... you could add a little around the waist and make your own padding ..... know what I mean????? ;)

Although filing is not really likely to hurt the usefulness of the sight, it may not have the appearance that you like as it is now. And certainly is apt to hurt any resale value at some point.

It's your gun boss, so your decision. But maybe think twice before you act. Something to really ponder!

regards,
jumpinjoe

Like JumpinJoe my dot is adjusted to lie on the top of the front post, dead center. I don't know about hitting tacks but I can hit a 3" orange target ball regularly at 25 yards. Not every shot, it's a wee pistol after all.
I also did a check where I moved the gun off to one side til there was no light between the post and rear notch and noted the red dot position.
Then checked the other direction. The dot should move equally one side to the other. This verifies the centering as best as possible for me. If the sights are on target, the dot should be aligned to them.

Like JumpinJoe my dot is adjusted to lie on the top of the front post, dead center. I don't know about hitting tacks but I can hit a 3" orange target ball regularly at 25 yards. Not every shot, it's a wee pistol after all.
I also did a check where I moved the gun off to one side til there was no light between the post and rear notch and noted the red dot position.
Then checked the other direction. The dot should move equally one side to the other. This verifies the centering as best as possible for me. If the sights are on target, the dot should be aligned to them.
Mine shoots very well and is as accurate as the S&W Shield (did a side by side at the range yesterday) and I love the sights when there is available light, but, at night in total darkness the rear sight goes away where the front jumps right out to see. If there was a glow to the rear or at least a tritium bar under the notch I think it would be a stellar sighting system.

I even think this U notch is better than a ghost ring since it is so quick to get onto target.

Last edited:
Back