testtest

VHS-K3

Hi, first time post because I never actually cared about Springfield Armory and how they appropriated the name of the original federal armory (I also don't care for the pistols but that's just personal preference).

However, all will be forgiven if they can pull this feat off below...

The ATF's response letters to different entities asking to import firearms (FATD letters) are published to the public, and this one showed up recently (start at this link, they discuss it for about 7 minutes):

Looks like SA wants to bring over a semi-auto version of the VHS-2 from HS Produkt Croatia.

Here's a breakdown by Ian on the gun, don't listen to the commentators in that ATF letter stream who know nothing about it:

I have been bringing up that Bullpup for a year now.
i want one ….this image is from a SA snippet ..

22D5F789-2715-4DA1-964E-4B89CE8F5DA6.jpeg

Oh yeah. I'm definitely excited too.

1450507978.jpg

Bringing over the VHS-2 pattern design would mark a significant jump in modern features for the bullpups here in the States. IWI (with the X95 and Tavor 7) is really the only other competitor here in bullpup designs that are geared up for mass production for things such as military contracts.
IWI-X95.png

tav72.jpg

Meanwhile, Desert Tech and KelTec have some pretty innovative designs but don't have the capacity to implement standards (quite often this means quality standards) that are needed for wide-scale proliferation.
1397508861.jpg

1391151364.jpg

rfb-32.jpg

Other designs like the AUG are quite long in the tooth now.
aug_a3-1.jpg

So! Much newfound respect from me for Springfield bringing over this European wonder at the top of this post, if something solid comes out of these plans.

1450507978.jpg

Bringing over the VHS-2 pattern design would mark a significant jump in modern features for the bullpups here in the States. IWI (with the X95 and Tavor 7) is really the only other competitor here in bullpup designs that are geared up for mass production for things such as military contracts.
IWI-X95.png

tav72.jpg

Meanwhile, Desert Tech and KelTec have some pretty innovative designs but don't have the capacity to implement standards (quite often this means quality standards) that are needed for wide-scale proliferation.
1397508861.jpg

1391151364.jpg

rfb-32.jpg

aug_a3-1.jpg

So! Much newfound respect from me for Springfield bringing over this European wonder at the top of this post, if something solid comes out of these plans.
“TAVOR is the only competition…”

Yeah, because there’s no such thing as the Steyr AUG, which is used by several different world militaries…

1450507978.jpg

IWI-X95.png

tav72.jpg

1397508861.jpg

1391151364.jpg

rfb-32.jpg

aug_a3-1.jpg

“Other designs like the AUG are quite long in the tooth now.”

….. thats like saying the AR-15 is long in the tooth.

my AUG runs circles around my AR-15’s and my AR’s are nice weapons.

I mean, I did mention the AUG right at the bottom of that photo post. It's a perfectly serviceable rifle, as the point about being in multiple militaries certainly proves.

But between the lack of ambi controls, the need for aftermarket parts to make extra rail space, and the proprietary mags (unless you want to take the mechanical compromises that come with the NATO version), it really hasn't received as much love as say, the AR-15 has (example: WWSD 2020) in terms of coming into its own for the 21st century.

I mean, I did mention the AUG right at the bottom of that photo post. It's a perfectly serviceable rifle, as the point about being in multiple militaries certainly proves.

But between the lack of ambi controls, the need for aftermarket parts to make extra rail space, and the proprietary mags (unless you want to take the mechanical compromises that come with the NATO version), it really hasn't received as much love as say, the AR-15 has (example: WWSD 2020) in terms of coming into its own for the 21st century.
See: Lithgow F90

I am a lefty and have zero issue with AUG. parts are available. My friends shoot it with me and no issue between left and right handed shooters

Pardon the double-post, but a friend of mine happened to stitch up the ATF letter with the VHS-K3 inspection that they did on it to approve it for import. Kind of a weird look into their way of thinking...

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

6.jpeg

7.jpeg

8.jpeg

Well.

That’s about as attractive as a CA compliant AR.

I’ll pass.
You...might be a little misguided as to how the gun will be presented back to the American market once it makes it over here.

Specifically, almost all the features that the ATF noted here (except for the semi-auto trigger pack) will likely be reversed here in the US by Springfield to bring them back to AR-competitive specs (where state laws permit). This is the industry standard for every importer, and also helps to make 922(r) compliance a possibility when the parts in question (examples: magwell and pistol grip) are replaced with American-made ones. Don't dismiss the thing based on what was messed around with in order to meet the import ban loopholes.

If the Lithgow F90 ever happened to be picked up by an importer to try and make it here, you can bet that the letter for it would look almost exactly the same!

Last edited:
You...might be a little misguided as to how the gun will be presented back to the American market once it makes it over here.

Specifically, almost all the features that the ATF noted here (except for the semi-auto trigger pack) will likely be reversed here in the US by Springfield to bring them back to AR-competitive specs (where state laws permit). This is the industry standard for every importer, and also helps to make 922(r) compliance a possibility when the parts in question (example: magwell and pistol grip) are replaced with American-made ones. Don't dismiss the thing based on what was messed around with in order to meet the import ban loopholes.

If the Lithgow F90 ever happened to be picked up by an importer to try and make it here, you can bet that the letter for it would look almost exactly the same!
No, they’d more likely do it the same way as Steyr does the new AUG.

American made receiver, stock, and a few other components, but the barrel is pure Austrian Steyr.

No, they’d more likely do it the same way as Steyr does the new AUG.

American made receiver, stock, and a few other components, but the barrel is pure Austrian Steyr.
Did a little fact-checking on this and it appears that the stock is also Austrian.

Easy-to-produce/procure parts are good for making over here, and that would be a good thing for its price.

I'm hoping it'll get an MSRP of $1500 USD with street prices between 1200-1400. That would be just undercutting the X95, not to mention way under the AUG A3 M1's price when new.

I don't what everyone else's expectations here are, but don't expect it to be another <$700 Turkish range toy like the jerks in the video stream from my original post want.

Back