testtest

Viridian GDO 22 Review: A Green "Red Dot"?

I have the Viridian lasers on two of my ARs but I have Red Dots that are red and the Viridian is a green laser. I am curious if you use a Green Dot site with a green laser can that be visually confusing especially under stress and while moving quickly? I ask because my eyes prefer green to red, but don't want to mix the laser and dot site if the same color is a challenge. I assume shooting at the range will not be a problem but like I said under stress and moving may be where it becomes more challenging.

I have the Viridian lasers on two of my ARs but I have Red Dots that are red and the Viridian is a green laser. I am curious if you use a Green Dot site with a green laser can that be visually confusing especially under stress and while moving quickly? I ask because my eyes prefer green to red, but don't want to mix the laser and dot site if the same color is a challenge. I assume shooting at the range will not be a problem but like I said under stress and moving may be where it becomes more challenging.
Either way you're going to see 2 dots and your laser is going to be zero'ed much closer. I have a red dot and a green Viridian HS1 on an AR pistol. The red dot is zero'ed at 50 yards and the HS1 is zero'ed at 20 yards. And really that laser could be zero'ed at 30 feet. The fact is regardless of if it's a red or green laser, outdoors it's only going to be visible for about 10-15 yards. So I zero them at indoor distances since that's really it's only viable function. So outdoors at any kind of distance you're not even going to see the laser. Indoors it's going to be the one closest to height of bore, i.e. the one on the bottom.

Yes, but I was incorrectly thinking of zeroing them both for the same distance of 50 yards, so the dots would converge but you are right the laser should not be more than 20 yards, so, there will definitely be two separate dots.
Yep. Because like I said you will not be able to see that laser dot at 50 yards outside. My comment though is still relevant. If you are outdoors you will be using your red dot, there is no need to activate the laser. And if you are using it indoors you don't really need to look through the red dot. That's actually the point of having a laser.

I have heard some experts say that you should zero a laser ( or any optic) for the maximum distance you can shoot in your house if it's a home defense weapon. I completely disagree with this. There is little point in zero'ing any sighting device at 5 yards. At 5 yards your POI will deviate from your POA by an inch or so if you zero that optic at 36 or 50 yards. If you zero it at 5 yards though and then try to shoot it at 50 yards you will need to do some math for a holdover because the deviation will be significant. Of course realistically you would never use that laser at 50 yards, but you might go night shooting. Or for some reason I won't try to explain you may need to stop a threat at 50 yards in the middle of the night.

I agree just because it is a home defense weapon does not mean the only use will be in your living room or bedroom so zeroing for 5-10 yards is not very useful especially if you have to quickly evacuate and find yourself needing to use it in a larger space as you were saying.

Back