testtest

Wayne LaPierre resigns

The cheap, Chinese junk they send along with the collection of advertising they call a magazine are among the reasons I declined to renew. I've not been a member since the 90s.

I am a donating member of several other gun rights organizations.
Good for you. You shouldn't forget that none of those organizations are so powerful anti gun politicians routinely call them "The enemy" or a " terrorist organization" and accuse them of putting politicians out of jobs. I never heard one campaign on " Taking on the GOA" either. Without the NRA you would almost certainly not be carrying a firearm around today.

So what type of "gifts" do the organizations you belong to send ?

I get 2 different NRA mags, I read them and enjoy them and pass them on where they hopefully influence other people to get involved in 2A events or at least vote. The fact you think it's just a collection of advertisements makes me think you haven't read one. I get the SA mag and a couple others and the NRA mag has 1000 times more information about 2A issues than any of those. And they have way more ads in them.

I have the NRA Life of Duty membership for LEO's. The gift was a camouflage range bag. Picture looks good but upon receiving it, total cheap garbage. That's not the reason I subscribe obviously but I would think and hope they should offer something different like a shirt or hat or at least something that's quality. Just my two cents...
I paid $350 for my life membership through $25/year installments starting on my 18th birthday.

The cheap, Chinese junk they send along with the collection of advertising they call a magazine are among the reasons I declined to renew. I've not been a member since the 90s.

I am a donating member of several other gun rights organizations.
thing is though, that my gun club, and nearly all others in my area, say you need an NRA membership to join....NOT any public range mind you, just the clubs.

if i recall they get insurance discounts when their members are NRA members.

i also belong the the GOA, SAF, and GSSF........none are required by any gun club here.

so there is "some clout" in being an NRA member, no matter what has/had been happening with the organization, involving WLP and any others.

i care not to get too deeply involved with any NRA discussions, most of you have been into this sport far longer than my 3 years now, and know more than i do.

Maybe NRA can restore its reputation now. I’m going to have to look into joining it again. Can’t imagine this is anything but good news!

IMG_2420.gif

Good for you. You shouldn't forget that none of those organizations are so powerful anti gun politicians routinely call them "The enemy" or a " terrorist organization" and accuse them of putting politicians out of jobs. I never heard one campaign on " Taking on the GOA" either. Without the NRA you would almost certainly not be carrying a firearm around today.

So what type of "gifts" do the organizations you belong to send ?

I get 2 different NRA mags, I read them and enjoy them and pass them on where they hopefully influence other people to get involved in 2A events or at least vote. The fact you think it's just a collection of advertisements makes me think you haven't read one. I get the SA mag and a couple others and the NRA mag has 1000 times more information about 2A issues than any of those. And they have way more ads in them.
The American Rifleman magazine has really improved in content quality in the last decade or so. I now look forward to getting it every month, as I know there will be at least one thing in it I'll both learn something from and enjoy. There were decades when that wasn't true.

Honestly, it will be really unfortunate if this drags the entire organization into financial ruin. But those are the sorts of things that a competent president, and board of directors, should take into account in how they conduct themselves and run the organization.

Any similar non-profit organization stands to be ruined, whether they deserve it or not, if their leadership engages in fraud and embezzlement. One can debate whether the greater organization truly deserves those consequences or not, but that's the hard reality of running an organization off the rails for your personal enrichment.

All agendas aside here, I'll honestly be amazed if a court doesn't find that numerous laws were broken, and probably egregiously.

I paid $350 for my life membership through $25/year installments starting on my 18th birthday.
You've evidently been a Life Member longer than I have. I forget what mine cost, but it was a good deal more than $350. I paid it off in the early '90s, when I had a job that paid pretty good money. And congrats for correctly knowing it's Life membership, not "lifetime." I respect that. ;)

Any similar non-profit organization stands to be ruined, whether they deserve it or not, if their leadership engages in fraud and embezzlement. One can debate whether the greater organization truly deserves those consequences or not, but that's the hard reality of running an organization off the rails for your personal enrichment.
The same can be said of just about any kind of organization. For example, does the United States of America deserve to go down the drain just because our leader is a corrupt, treasonous, perverted old moron? I'd have to vote No on that one. :oops:

Everyone should read this. At least have the intellectual honesty to hear the other side. Sorry I don't know how to post a link, so you'll have to put in a little effort.
Still a proud NRA Lifetime Member.
I always appreciate hearing the other side. This is an old article and is highly inaccurate. I know because I was there and saw and heard what actually transpired. Regarding the "vendor", that is a long and complicated story and they became the sacrificial lamb during the confrontations. (That does not mean they weren't deserving of it, they were.)

Well you guys will all be glad to know Norah O'Donald agrees with you and Letitia about Wayne. ;)
This was in reply in another forum and I don't want to writethe whole thing over again:

What happened is a long and complicated story that involves the annual meeting in Indy (2019) several years ago.

Oliver North was in his first year as President of the NRA and his pay was complicated in that it was mostly paid by an outside contractor rather than the NRA. When he asked questions about the situation he became uncomfortable with the answers he was given. That lead him to start an investigation that uncovered massive misuse of funds including finding ways to pay off Board Members to go along with whatever WLP wanted, as well as disguised payments for expensive clothing, an errant "intern", and lavish travel in private jets and limos.

North was furious and tried to force a showdown with WLP two days before the Annual Meeting by showing his evidence to WLP and demanding that WLP resign quietly at the meeting. That was a mistake. Wayne told the outside vendor to take North off their payroll, effectively "firing" him and got the majority of the Board to actually promise to fire North at the Annual Meeting if he didn't resign and leave town immediately.

Now, supposedly, the Life Members need to vote on certain things, but suddenly the actual meeting's time and place changed three times on the day of the meeting. The place for Life Members to register to vote was changed and almost impossible to find. Those of us who managed to actually find and get admitted to the meeting had to wait for a long program of how wonderful WLP was and then any members who weren't Life were asked to leave as was the media. Then a complicated set of rules on the ability to speak was introduced, limiting the number of Life Members allowed to speak.

When the WLP cronies on the Board didn't like was being said, the meeting went into Executive Session, meaning only the Board could remain. They then delayed the remainder of the meeting until the next day which assured that any Life Members who wanted to remain would have to change their flights, hotels, etc to remain which almost no one else did.

Please bear in mind, I was there for all of this including the private meetings between WLP and Oliver North as were some others including Allen West from the Board. We saw and heard the evasions and anger by WLP as well as the physical evidence.

They (the WLP loyalists) effectively have continued the same game plan through subsequent annual meetings.

Last edited:
It is good for the NRA that the Executive VP has resigned. He has been accused of a lot of things, and he may or may not be guilty, Whatever the case, he deserves a fair and unbiased trial, which will be difficult to get. If he is guilty, the Board is also guilty. In any case, it seems a lot of folks have dropped their NRA membership, which I think is sad. And this at a time like we are in now in D.C.

Whether any of the folks who have dropped their membership will now return remains to be seen. Talk is pretty cheap.

The same can be said of just about any kind of organization. For example, does the United States of America deserve to go down the drain just because our leader is a corrupt, treasonous, perverted old moron? I'd have to vote No on that one. :oops:

For sure. Bad leadership can lead to catastrophic consequences for any org/corporation.

Well you guys will all be glad to know Norah O'Donald agrees with you and Letitia about Wayne. ;)

In fairness, so do lots of ex-NRA members.

No one has done more to damage the organization, or cost it more members, than WLP. The fault lies squarely with him, and the cronies who surrounded and enabled him (and benefitted similarly). To right the ship, it's going to take more than just WLP leaving.

Back