testtest

Wearing a hat to the range

javbike

Professional
I went to the range today had a great time as usual got me thinking you know everybody should wear a hat to the range I got hot shelled two times on the head glad I had a hat on didn’t feel a thing especially for use out there that wear our hair short or maybe no hair at all I am thinking this should be along with long pants and boots my opinion

I went to the range today had a great time as usual got me thinking you know everybody should wear a hat to the range I got hot shelled two times on the head glad I had a hat on didn’t feel a thing especially for use out there that wear our hair short or maybe no hair at all I am thinking this should be along with long pants and boots my opinion
Is normally a good idea. That and a shirt with tighter collar

I shoot often on my lunch hour from work. Collared golf shirts can lead to some 🤬🤬🤬🤬
Yup But I always joke burns only hurt for a little while Have been shooting a new Taurus TX22 and learned on my first visit to always button the top button. I caught two in a row but calmly laid down the gun before pulling out my shirttail faster than ever before..Thats why Its always fun to have a good friend around to either laugh at or with and occasionally be laughed at.

I've gotten so used to hot brass landing on me that I don't even stop shooting sometimes to remove it. The worst though is shooting a Mini-14 indoors as these tend to eject brass into the next county and when a case bounces off a wall and tags you in the head you definitely feel it.

My wife on the other hand learned a lesson and wasn't to happy when we went to the range after dinner on a date night and she was wearing a shirt with a plunging neck line and a 10mm spent case went down the front of her shirt....🤣🤣🤣

I've gotten so used to hot brass landing on me that I don't even stop shooting sometimes to remove it.

My wife on the other hand learned a lesson and wasn't to happy when we went to the range after dinner on a date night and she was wearing a shirt with a plunging neck line and a 10mm spent case went down the front of her shirt....🤣🤣🤣
So 10mm went down the front of her shirt ? Scandalous. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I've gotten so used to hot brass landing on me that I don't even stop shooting sometimes to remove it. The worst though is shooting a Mini-14 indoors as these tend to eject brass into the next county and when a case bounces off a wall and tags you in the head you definitely feel it.

Ouch!!!

Some type of brimmed headwear is not only good for deflecting ejected spent cases, it can also help significantly to mitigate blast/concussion, especially indoors or if a line-mate is using a very directed brake/comp.

That said, it's *_also_* possible for spent cases to be ejected and deflected in some REALLY WEIRD ways. I, as well as others, have had some really weird experiences ( https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/a-sure-painful-experience.8722/ ).... As I detailed in that thread, my weird one was at an indoor range - the case managed to bounce over the top of my shooting glasses (mind you, my shooting glasses essentially have lenses twice as thick, because there's a prescription insert behind the ballistic lens), and landed on the top of my cheek, trapped there between my lower eyelid and the inner lens.

This was WITH a "traditional" long/curved-brim (not the currently fashionable flat/short bill) ballcap on....the spent case somehow bounced off the stall wall to my shoulder/upper arm, up under the bill of my ballcap, and then into where it finally came to rest.

-----

Aside: I have some friends who really like the NOTCH ballcaps - https://notchgear.com .

They don't work for me, and I also know other folks for whom it doesn't work, but for some, this may be a solution for hat-brim/glasses-frame interference.

When I was a police academy firarms instructor, we required recruits wear hats, glasses and hearing protection as part of their safety equipment. We suggested they button their collars. Only took once time of hot brass going down their shirt for them to accept that advice. 😁

I have to say in all my life I have never had hot brass go down my shirt. In fact the only time I’ve been hit with hot brass at all it was either from someone on the next lane or during drills where I was laying upside down on the ground or something.

I have to say in all my life I have never had hot brass go down my shirt.

1629985392987.png

^ Actual range CCTV footage of @Bassbob.

I wanna know how you got yourself a Holtzman Shield......

#metoo I was hit in the eye with a hot case. Actually it fell behind the glasses and burned my eyelid.
I had them down my shirt and into my shoes.
First time I shot a 1911 the case flew straight back and dinked my bald head.
I usually wear a hat, but chicks dig scars. I haven't learned yet.
Ha ha ha love it

I received my new SA Victor .308 a few weeks back and have been sighting in and doing some general shooting practice (I need the practice). Recently I have been placing a cardboard box on the shooting table to catch the brass. It saves cleanup time looking through the tall grass at the range when it hasn't been cut recently. Occasionally when switching ammo brands (buying what's available) the brass kicks in different directions, bounces off the box edge and hits my arm or hands. It's not too bad if I react quickly, but it does momentarily delay the follow up shot lol.

Back