testtest

what a lousy way to start the holiday...

Old_Me

Ronin
yeah, every year, the Mrs. and i do some "pre-cooking"

we actually cook the bird this day, then carve it up later.,, on T-Day, we simply warm it up a bit.

then i make some of the side dishes, like the stuffing, and get whatever pies that need to be baked, into the oven.

well the Mr's said, "the clock on the stove is flashing", did we lose power..??"

mind you, 2 pies were staring to be baked....... o_O and it is a gas stove, and it stopped baking......:eek:

i checked all the circuit breakers, they were all fine, not one tripped.

oh well, gotta call the electrician now......$99.00 emergency fee, cha-ching......

i have spent like nearly $30 grand with that company, in the past 2 years.....

well the guy comes over, (he's been here many times), and he does his diagnostics.

finds that a junction box, had a broken wire. wiring is very old in parts of this house.

anyway, he tells me that since i am a regular customer, he was going to "waive" some of the costs...and he did.

rather than a $600 bill, i will be paying just over $300........whew......

but still what a day, or time for this :poop: to happen.....

and i too was going into a hot sweat, at the potential costs involved, on top of what we paid for all that food, for a Thursday......

Shortage of qualified trades is one thing, it’s good you were able to find someone to come out today and even better your main cooking was planned for today too. Once or twice I tried on the roast a small bird on the Weber propane grill, needs to be watched over.

I’m no electrician (or cook) and I’m always amazed how their experience and training can locate problems efficiently. This stresses the importance of junction boxes and how some homeowner/handyman have a tendency to add-on or branch off these junctions or hide them under paneling or drywall.

It would be wise to have the rest of your house re-wired to code.…wait, you already spent $30k and still charged $300 for a “broken” wire? If only some of your household electric was updated, obviously this particular junction was overlooked and a complete service inspection wasn’t performed. Do don’t say what the power rating of the stove circuit (separate?) of that junction was, but that “break” was either a loose or disconnected wire nut. Before shelling out more $$$ Id wonder what else may be loose or broken elsewhere and why/if all the circuits are up to code.
You may need to find a better electrician.

Not sure if you could have used an extension cord and a different outlet and would have sufficed in a pinch to get by, but tracing power to an outlet box isn’t for the novice if your service looks like a spaghetti bowl. What’s a holiday without an unexpected power failure?

As for stoves…remember when the basic oven didn’t have or need all those electronics, glow stick igniters, timers, buzzers, lights and digital clocks (and what’s the deal with WiFi refrigerators?). You can’t just turn the oven gas knob to On, put a match into the the little hole and start your baking. I think I replaced those glow stick igniters on gas stoves at least twice before, mostly reliable but as it goes, when they fail, it can only be when you need the oven.

My 20 yr old gas oven won’t work anymore due to a burned out circuit board that is obsolete. No electronic signal - No power to the glow stick igniter. Some electronics outfit says they can replace a resistor/diode/chip in the old circuit board panel for $200 prepaid but there’s only a 90 warranty. We really need to be less dependent on tech and maybe the outrageous technician.
Have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.

A2E650BE-9A01-46F0-BB1E-7B51A62A6D59.jpeg

Shortage of qualified trades is one thing, it’s good you were able to find someone to come out today and even better your main cooking was planned for today too. Once or twice I tried on the roast a small bird on the Weber propane grill, needs to be watched over.

I’m no electrician (or cook) and I’m always amazed how their experience and training can locate problems efficiently. This stresses the importance of junction boxes and how some homeowner/handyman have a tendency to add-on or branch off these junctions or hide them under paneling or drywall.

It would be wise to have the rest of your house re-wired to code.…wait, you already spent $30k and still charged $300 for a “broken” wire? If only some of your household electric was updated, obviously this particular junction was overlooked and a complete service inspection wasn’t performed. Do don’t say what the power rating of the stove circuit (separate?) of that junction was, but that “break” was either a loose or disconnected wire nut. Before shelling out more $$$ Id wonder what else may be loose or broken elsewhere and why/if all the circuits are up to code.
You may need to find a better electrician.

Not sure if you could have used an extension cord and a different outlet and would have sufficed in a pinch to get by, but tracing power to an outlet box isn’t for the novice if your service looks like a spaghetti bowl. What’s a holiday without an unexpected power failure?

As for stoves…remember when the basic oven didn’t have or need all those electronics, glow stick igniters, timers, buzzers, lights and digital clocks (and what’s the deal with WiFi refrigerators?). You can’t just turn the oven gas knob to On, put a match into the the little hole and start your baking. I think I replaced those glow stick igniters on gas stoves at least twice before, mostly reliable but as it goes, when they fail, it can only be when you need the oven.

My 20 yr old gas oven won’t work anymore due to a burned out circuit board that is obsolete. No electronic signal - No power to the glow stick igniter. Some electronics outfit says they can replace a resistor/diode/chip in the old circuit board panel for $200 prepaid but there’s only a 90 warranty. We really need to be less dependent on tech and maybe the outrageous technician.
Have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.

View attachment 32733
well i had "thought of" having the house re-wired..

but it is a 3 family house, meaning 3 times the costs.

i cannot afford that.

not even a 3rd mortgage, since the rates on my current 2nd, is 6.5%....i need not have another loan at that high an interest rate.(this is all thanks to the Feds jacking up the rate). otherwise, it "had been" only 3.4%.

this is why i was not charged the "going rate", since i am thier customer. what he took care of today, had nothing to do with all the other previous work. so $300 is reasonable to me, over the expected $600.

Last edited:
The house I reside in is a money pit! I feel your frustration! The owner of the house fixes the others they own except the 1 I live in. From plumbing to electrical to AC to poor insulation and a house built upon the sand that still shifts causing doors to not hang square. So feel lucky and count your blessings no fire got started. I'm sure you did. The only plus is I do have a generator for when there's power outages.

Things will only get worse with the inception of u-tube, now everyone is a professional.
At the end of my career I asked the customer what was it doing before I got here and what if anything did you do before I got here.
I never ever charged a veteran for a service call, the bill was always taken care.
Worst part of residential service work is the customer thinks I got all the money, I don't control the owners service charge.

Things will only get worse with the inception of u-tube, now everyone is a professional.
At the end of my career I asked the customer what was it doing before I got here and what if anything did you do before I got here.
I never ever charged a veteran for a service call, the bill was always taken care.
Worst part of residential service work is the customer thinks I got all the money, I don't control the owners service charge.
which is why, i fully understand the "house call charge".

gasoline, or diesel costs money. insurance on the vehicle costs money, and the technicians pay/benefits.

even "if" nothing is found wrong, someone has to incur the cost.

many times, the house call is deducted from the repairs anyways......at least, this is what has been happening to us here.

Back