testtest

What Ammo do You Carry and Why?

124 +p Gold Dots in my VP9, 180 Gold Dots in my VP40, and 230 HST in my HK45. Because that's what they had available when I bought them. I suppose I could carry my 686 with the 180 hardcasts but that seems like a terrible idea. I have Buffalo Bore hardcasts in my .44 for big animal country. I have some Lehigh rounds from Underwood for my VP9 but I won't carry them until I've given them a go at the range.

“Karamojo“ Bell, one of the most successful elephant hunters of the time, swore the best elephant rifle was the 7mm Mauser (or was it 6.5 Mauser? Been a while since I read his stuff).

But then he shot them in the head at extremely close range.
Yes, it was called the 275 Rigby in the British provinces (otherwise known as the 7 x 57 Mauser).
Bell was an extremely athletic fellow who refused to take anything other than perfect shots from close range (i.e. "Can you smell that?" "Yes, I think its what is between his toes." range).
He also used "full patch"" bullets for elephant.

None of his experience has anything to do with self defense against humans other than the conclusions that large frontal area projectiles produce straighter wound channels and heavier impact.
He also came to the conclusion that penetration in a straight line was more important than expansion under most circumstances.

"African Rifles and Cartridges" is a great read under ANY circumstances.

PS
I favor the 44 and up calibers for day-to-day carry.

Upgraded my carry ammo for my Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 special, good friend of mine had some of this and gave me a couple boxes, Hornady 180gr XTP

1618425628909.jpeg

I don't get that.

You'd pay 4-5 times what .22LR normally runs (2019, it was $20-25 for 500rds, so, $2-2.50/50), but wouldn’t pay an extra 5-30% for .380 JHP (usually between $16-20/20)?

I get the s/h part, but that’s gonna be on the .22 as well, no?
Explanation?
Far too many people just grab and go, don't realize or possibly care about the differences it can create for themselves and others?

Upgraded my carry ammo for my Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 special, good friend of mine had some of this and gave me a couple boxes, Hornady 180gr XTP

View attachment 16709
I have found Hornady's products to be accurate and reliable.
No matter what I fed my Bulldog Pug, I could not hit the broadside of a barn! It may have been because I was using the traditional 210 grain XTP. They work well in the Winchester and the Ruger Super Blackhawk.
Perhaps that reflects more on my short barrel revolver skills than the handgun.
I finally decided it would be an ultra-close proposition and carried their Critical Defense loads.
Then I changed to the XD-S.
Somehow, the barn got really big and developed a ragged hole in the door!

I have Buffalo bore for my “woods” guns.
I would like to try Underwood but they always seem to be out.
I ordered some loaded Lehigh Honey Badger fluted ammo and projectiles last summer but have not seen either.
The concept of the Honey Badger seems intriguing and reasonable.
Videos of testing in ballistic gel look fantastic.
I have read nothing but praise for the Underwood loads.

Hornady Critical Duty 220gr 45 ACP +P
This is exactly the round I carry. Partly because of the research done by the FBI. But, I have a wild hog problem on my ranch, to the extent that I have built two corral traps in an effort to reduce their numbers. We have trapped more than 100 hogs in the past 5 years. We have also night hunted and shot about the same number using night vision and kill lights, all with rifles. The hogs in the traps, in groups as large as 15, have to be dispatched quickly and humanely. I have used my AR, a 10mm Sig (with Sig 185 gr. 10mm V Crown), and my .45 Sig to dispatch hogs, weighing up to 400 lbs. A well placed shot with this Critical Duty round will drop them like a stone. The distance is roughly what one could expect from an encounter with a 2-legged varmint. I have butchered a number of hogs and recovered the slugs with good penetration in evidence, from both the 45 and 10 mm. The 5.56 tends to keep going. This experience has given me great confidence in this round.

Attachments

• 8AF68360-B693-4B6E-BB08-4B67378D5D4C.jpeg
    8AF68360-B693-4B6E-BB08-4B67378D5D4C.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 159
  • dead in trap.jpg
    dead in trap.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 165
  • imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 168
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2baed.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2baed.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 153
This is exactly the round I carry. Partly because of the research done by the FBI. But, I have a wild hog problem on my ranch, to the extent that I have built two corral traps in an effort to reduce their numbers. We have trapped more than 100 hogs in the past 5 years. We have also night hunted and shot about the same number using night vision and kill lights, all with rifles. The hogs in the traps, in groups as large as 15, have to be dispatched quickly and humanely. I have used my AR, a 10mm Sig (with Sig 185 gr. 10mm V Crown), and my .45 Sig to dispatch hogs, weighing up to 400 lbs. A well placed shot with this Critical Duty round will drop them like a stone. The distance is roughly what one could expect from an encounter with a 2-legged varmint. I have butchered a number of hogs and recovered the slugs with good penetration in evidence, from both the 45 and 10 mm. The 5.56 tends to keep going. This experience has given me great confidence in this round.
You should consider having guided night hunts...for fun and profit!
Let others pay you to clean up the mess.

I would love nothing more then to get my hands on about 1000 rounds of Federal HST in each caliber I own.
Yeah me too. Fortunately before the pandemic I was already buying it and stashing it. I don’t have 1000 rds. but when I was regularly able to find 50 rd. boxes for $30-ish I stocked up.

Carbine for cartridges of caliber 5,6x39. Cartridges of this caliber are usually used to hunt all small animals. This is what is called a sparing cartridge. With a skillful shot with such a charge, the skin of the animal remains unspoiled.

After solving the issues with my Taurus G3C not liking Federal HST 147-grain JHP, I'm back to carrying that across the board in in all my 9mm EDC handguns. My .45 S&W Shield I carry 230-grain Federal HST JHP,

I have critical duty currently. While designed for law enforcement, and for the exact purpose of over penetrating it’s what I could find at the time and it uses water proof primers.

I normally use critical defense because it’s cycled well in all my guns.

Back