testtest

What ammo do you use

To bag squirrel I used standard loads, avoiding too much meat destruction. Groundhogs are tougher than squirrels or rabbits. Their hide is so tough you clean two or three and your knife needs sharpened. In my experience the penetration of a 40 grain high velocity round nose between the eyes (or through an ear) is best. HPs won't kill them cleanly with body shots and they'll die down the hole. I only took head shots so it was lights out, humane. I don't hunt them anymore, I'd rather buy some balogney.
The most important thing to do is try a box of all the different stuff you can find and shoot some groups. Your rifle will do better with its preferred ammo. .22s are picky.

Just ordered my first hunting rifle: The famous 10/22 by Ruger. My question is what do you y'all use to hunt game with? Specifically squirrel, rabbit, ground hog.
I always used the CCI mini mag 36 gr HP. Squirrels or Groundhogs , I always took head shots. No wasted meat and dead right there.

edit to add: I used a Winchester 290 semi auto .22 rifle and a Ruger Single-Six .22 on both.

I use whatever I have in .22; usually bulk packed.

I’m having really good results with Aguila Super Extra plated right now…picked up a case (10 bricks, 5k rounds) of it a couple years ago for under $300, about halfway through it, and am very happy with it in all of my .22’s; good accuracy, very, very few dud primers (compared to say, Winchester Wildcat, CCI Blazer, or Remington Golden Bullets, which were comparably priced at the time), and really consistent the one time I chrono’d it.

Some of us are fortunate enough to have a variety of ammo to choose from so my recommendations may not be easily duplicated. I would also echo what conax wrote: "Your rifle will do better with its preferred ammo. .22s are picky."

Choosing ammo partly depends on if you plan to eat what you are shooting. Since we do eat squirrels and rabbits, I choose different ammo to preserve the meat.

For squirrels and rabbits: Remington Vipers (It should be noted that I mostly use a red dot equipped Ruger Mark IV instead of a rifle.) The few times I use a rifle it is a Marlin 39D and it doesn't like CCI Mini Mags so the Vipers often get used for it as well.

Ground Hogs are not something I eat, and they are tough skinned. Since they are normally shot at longer ranges, I switch to my Ruger All Weather 77/22 and CCI Stingers that is scope equipped. (Stingers normally don't work well in a 10/22 so you might want to try Remington Yellow Jackets instead.)

I have a couple of cases of Winchester Super X 37 grain hollow points but find them less desirable than CCI or Remington specialty ammo. I really like CCI ammo when the firearm likes it. I have limited experience with Aguila except for their super quiet rounds as .22 ammo. I do have experience with their 12 gauge target ammo and I do really like it. If I needed more .22 ammo I would be inclined to buy the brand.

I would avoid all bulk packed ammo regardless of brand except for plinking. For many manufacturers bulk packed .22 ammo means seconds.

Once you are hooked, you should look into .22WMR guns and ammo. That will open a whole new world of hunting.

Good luck and happy hunting.

I didn't think to add that I intend to eat the kills. Never crossed my mind to kill without reason.

One thing I've noticed is some rounds are pure lead and others and JHP. My limited understanding of ballistics is that the heavier unjacketed rounds would possibly act like dum dum rounds or, at the very least, deform and mushroom when entering a biological target (animal or human though one could argue I'm repeating myself).

If that's an accurate statement, what's the advantage of firing a JHP over a solid lead projectile?

I didn't think to add that I intend to eat the kills. Never crossed my mind to kill without reason.

One thing I've noticed is some rounds are pure lead and others and JHP. My limited understanding of ballistics is that the heavier unjacketed rounds would possibly act like dum dum rounds or, at the very least, deform and mushroom when entering a biological target (animal or human though one could argue I'm repeating myself).

If that's an accurate statement, what's the advantage of firing a JHP over a solid lead projectile?
If you are eating your kills and using a rifle , then head shots should be your target. That being the case , it really doesn't matter if you are using a HP round. However , out of a rifle , the HP will expand bigger than a solid. The solid may deform somewhat but it will not mushroom like the HP round will.

I started using the CCI mini - mag 36 gr. round a long time ago and just stuck with it. I had tried Winchester and Remington .22s and was constantly having duds. The CCI mini mags went bang just about every time I pulled the trigger. Out of all of the CCIs I have fired I might have had a dozen that didn't go bang.

Picked up this little bit today.. coulda got more (plenty on the shelves but I didn't wanna go broke and have a pissed off girlfriend)
IMG_20210903_225417135.jpg

I feel like every 22 I've owned has let me down....eventually. Everything from Ruger to Savage to an old Stevens that my grandma gave me. Every one of 'em is picky about ammo and every one of them has gone caput after a few year, so I end up having to but another, cuz the gunsmith wants to charge me more for the fix than the rifle is worth. I don't know. Anybody have a good, solid 22 they've plinked with for a long time without much trouble? Should I go back to the Ruger? Are they better now? Not sure if SA makes a 22, because I've never really looked into getting another one.

I had a Winchester model 290 semi auto given to me in 1969. I can't begin to tell you how many rounds I shot through that rifle. I still owned it when my house burned in 2004 and it was still working fine a week before the house burned.

Back