testtest

What Do You Do? Cops and CCW

I think I understand your last paragraph on having paperwork ready but digging around in your vehicle while officers are approaching could make them extremely nervous,
I remember once back in the 80’s I had bought a new C10 pickup and my wife and and I were running errands. It started to rain, and I’m talking blinding down pours, I was driving slow “city street” when I got pulled over, I heard the officer over his PA request I exit the truck and walk back to the police car, I didn’t, a second request and I still sat in my truck, remember it was a torrential rain, about 5 minutes went by and the officer knocked on my window, I rolled it down, he was soaking wet and was really upset....
Why didn’t you come back to my police car when I asked you to????
My calm response.
Because I would be putting myself in danger of being hit by another car.
He wrote me a ticket for no tail lights.
Although I had my lights on it was found that I had a short in the wiring and the rain had shut them off, I contested the ticket and won. The bottom line is during a traffic stop you need to stay calm and respectful but you DON’T have to get out of your vehicle.

When I get in the car before I put on my seatbelt, my driver's license, the vehicle insurance card, the registration, and my LEOSA cards are put under the visor in a passport wallet that is spring clipped to the visor. When I leave the car, I take out what needs to be in my wallet. So, if a LEO stops the car, everything is in one place at a level that is easily available and in plain sight. That avoids digging around when stopped.

Here in SC I have only been stopped twice. When stopped you hand them your DL, Registration, insurance card,and CWP. One stop was a checkpoint with no real reason and the LEO didn't care about the gun. The second I was given a warning about speeding and asked where and what I was carrying.

My opinion: you speed and get caught, well you took the chance and lost. Be respectful, polite and take your medicine. I speed. Sometime I get a ticket. Sometimes a warning . Life is about the choice YOU make. Present the officer the required info in your state and move on with your day.

My opinion: you speed and get caught, well you took the chance and lost. Be respectful, polite and take your medicine. I speed. Sometime I get a ticket. Sometimes a warning . Life is about the choice YOU make. Present the officer the required info in your state and move on with your day.

next time when he ask you for your D/L put a Hundred bill under the D/L works of me.😉

Here in Illinois we only have to notify if asked. Our license does show up on leads when info is run. I have not been pulled over in the last 20 some years but if I were to be pulled over I would have both hands in plain sight.

yep it shows up when license is ran. I didn't have it one day when I was pulled over and the cop gave me a short lecture on the importance of me carrying it. I was a bit astonished to be frank.

All my reg cards and insurance cards live on the sun visors. License (and permit) live in my wallet.

I sit and wait.

No fidgeting, no digging around for anything. I turn on the dome light and sit still with both hands on the wheel. If the officer wants me to produce something, I will first say "sure, it's (and tell them the location)" before I reach for anything.

Pitdog2 , where a bouts in general , are you located?
Central Illinois

All my reg cards and insurance cards live on the sun visors. License (and permit) live in my wallet.

I sit and wait.

No fidgeting, no digging around for anything.

My reg/ins. cards sit in my center console. My firearm sits on top of them if off body. I've had to tell an officer that fact and how would he like me to go about it. He said to me gentle move it to the dash get stupid get dead. I completely understood and reach over to move it with my left hand. And retrieved my cards with my right. The guy was real cool about it, no ticket. Pulled me over because of my trailer ball in the bumper. In this instance he had no idea i was a lawful carrier because he could not see all the plate.

Last edited:
Where I live we are required to notify the officer immediately. I have had several encounters and simply kept my hand in plain sight and informed the officer I had a concealed handgun and permit.

Everything went perfectly calm and well. One asked what I carry and we had a small short discussion of revolvers as ccw weapons.
Same here. The one occasion I was pulled over for speeding, as soon as the officer identified himself to me and the reason for the stop, I advised him I had a valid CCL and where my weapon was located in my vehicle. He told me he very much appreciated me telling him about it and we ended up talking about handguns for about five minutes before he told me to just slow down and to have a good day. No issues whatsoever.

I heard the officer over his PA request I exit the truck and walk back to the police car, I didn’t, a second request and I still sat in my truck, remember it was a torrential rain, about 5 minutes went by and the officer knocked on my window, I rolled it down, he was soaking wet and was really upset....

That's his own fault. If he's going to pull you over in the torrential rain then he needs to be the one who gets out in the torrential rain to ticket you. Expecting you to get out and get dunked on as a bonus for getting a ticket was pretty low. I could understand maybe if you were driving erratically, potentially drunk and dangerous, or had a warrant for your arrest or something, but just having a light out isn't good enough reason for you to stand in the soaking rain as additional punishment along with a ticket.

That's his own fault. If he's going to pull you over in the torrential rain then he needs to be the one who gets out in the torrential rain to ticket you. Expecting you to get out and get dunked on as a bonus for getting a ticket was pretty low. I could understand maybe if you were driving erratically, potentially drunk and dangerous, or had a warrant for your arrest or something, but just having a light out isn't good enough reason for you to stand in the soaking rain as additional punishment along with a ticket.

Now that Cop is a Dumb azz. for what a ticket that the person just have to proof that it was repaired and move on.

i just get them out of the glove box once the officer arrives at the vehicle. course I don't remember that last time i was pulled over.

Last time I had weather affect a traffic stop, I was on my motorcycle. The sky was purple-black and I was hugging the tank, trying to get there before the skies opened up and I drowned like a rat. Got pulled over for speed (surprise - trying to beat the weather). Cordial as I always am, had my full face helmet off by the time he got to me, etc etc. Clouds are rollin' in. Fast. He's typing away. Rain starts to hit - BIG drops, too. He rolls down his window - "you can get in the car, sir".

"Um....front seat? Or back?"

He grinned. "Front is fine". He asked if I knew how long he was behind me - I honestly didn't. I was hunkered down, head between my mirrors. I only saw him when I sat up to downshift and slow for an exit. He said he didn't have my speed (thank God!)...but he did see me change lanes and someone tapped their brakes when I did, so he wrote me for unsafe lane change. "If you send in the yellow copy, I won't be there for your court date, it'll just be you and the judge".

"OK, so I should send in the yellow form?"

<sigh...> "IF. You send in the yellow form..."

"gotcha, thanks. yellow form."

I'd keep my hands on the steering wheel with the dome light on and the engine off. Once the cop got to my window I'd tell him I'm a CCW holder, where the pistol is on my person or in my car, and ask how he wants to handle it.

Sometimes it is better just to hand the LEO your permit. He will know you "possibly/probably" have a gun. Saying you have a gun may trigger a nervous response especially in a newbie.

Back