testtest

What Gun are you glad you got rid of?

xdman

Self appointed Chief Armorer
Staff member
For me it was a colt Defender.
I graduated high school in 1998 and right around then Colt released the Defender. I remember lusting over this gun and making a promise that I would own one as soon as I could. So early 2002 I finally saved up for two damn years to buy this 1200 plus tax gun and was basically the most expensive single item I had ever purchased on my own. (they are cheaper now, but back then full price). looking back now the quality sucked, fit was sloppy and the trigger was terrible. But this was my dream gun. Took it to the range and the damn thing jamed multiple times. Last round stove piped and I looked at what happened the underside of the slide had caught the follower on the last round of the Colt GI style mag and pounded it into the feedramp of the aluminum frame. The follower gouged the feedramp. Now I have had this gun maybe 24hrs when I make the call into Colts customer service, were I am blamed for the damage and told If I want it repaired it would be approx 500 to replace the frame. I ended up trading that Defender for the Brand new Springfield XD. Now I already owned a Gen 1 HS2000 (that I still own and shoot) and was super excited about Springfield taking it over. Now the Store gave me what I was told a deal and traded me even the defender for the XD. Now you might not think I got the better deal, but in the long run I did. My first XD ran like nothing else and I could not make it fail if I tried. That was also the first gun I ever modded I used a lacquer stick to fill the engravings in. People over at XDTALK asked were I got those engraving filler sticks at and asked if they could buy them from me. And that my friends was how the XDMAN was born (back then it was XD-HS2000). Now in the long run I got the last laugh that gun store owner thought he pulled a fast one on a young kid. That gun sat there for two more years until the gun store went out of business, at full price mind you. I have made a decent living. And I get paid to play with and work on guns, how many people can say they have their dream job?
8588A866-2537-447F-B507-65722704585A.jpeg

My first and second Kimber K6. The first one would strike the primer randomly and wouldn't advance the cylinder half of the time. After two trips back they sent me a new one "thoroughly checked" and it would shoot a larger pattern than any shotgun I own at seven yards. That's how I came to buy my S&W 640 pro which shoots like a dream.

Kimber Solo! My wife had recently bought a Sig P938 and My pride told me that my everyday carry pistol should be nicer than hers. The Solo was beautiful, but couldn’t empty a single magazine without FTLs/FTEs. The Solo earned such a bad reputation that some local shops wouldn’t even take it on trade. In the end, I did find a shop owner who agreed to an even trade of the Solo for a Browning BPS shotgun. The Browning still makes me smile, so the story ends well for me...
5C49929A-586F-4452-A06D-BCCA71BC80A6.jpeg

I agree on Kimber, years ago they had good guns, today, all they care about is how many they can get out, no quality control at all, my Micro 9 I had for 2 days, the hammer kept chipping where the slide came back to hit the hammer, not in the same place either, chipped all along the hammer, then the guide rod started to bend downwards, only fired 50 rounds through the gun.

As I stated in another thread , I had a S&W 915 that you really couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with even if you were inside the barn. I tried various brands and weights of bullets.

I was really disappointed because the first pistol I shot was a S&W 39 and I could keep a can rolling till I emptied the mag.

For me it was a colt Defender.
I graduated high school in 1998 and right around then Colt released the Defender. I remember lusting over this gun and making a promise that I would own one as soon as I could. So early 2002 I finally saved up for two **** years to buy this 1200 plus tax gun and was basically the most expensive single item I had ever purchased on my own. (they are cheaper now, but back then full price). looking back now the quality sucked, fit was sloppy and the trigger was terrible. But this was my dream gun. Took it to the range and the **** thing jamed multiple times. Last round stove piped and I looked at what happened the underside of the slide had caught the follower on the last round of the Colt GI style mag and pounded it into the feedramp of the aluminum frame. The follower gouged the feedramp. Now I have had this gun maybe 24hrs when I make the call into Colts customer service, were I am blamed for the damage and told If I want it repaired it would be approx 500 to replace the frame. I ended up trading that Defender for the Brand new Springfield XD. Now I already owned a Gen 1 HS2000 (that I still own and shoot) and was super excited about Springfield taking it over. Now the Store gave me what I was told a deal and traded me even the defender for the XD. Now you might not think I got the better deal, but in the long run I did. My first XD ran like nothing else and I could not make it fail if I tried. That was also the first gun I ever modded I used a lacquer stick to fill the engravings in. People over at XDTALK asked were I got those engraving filler sticks at and asked if they could buy them from me. And that my friends was how the XDMAN was born (back then it was XD-HS2000). Now in the long run I got the last laugh that gun store owner thought he pulled a fast one on a young kid. That gun sat there for two more years until the gun store went out of business, at full price mind you. I have made a decent living. And I get paid to play with and work on guns, how many people can say they have their dream job?
View attachment 1111
I haven't owned one but would be happy to get rid of this one. My good friend has one and I find it an angry, vicious little thing to shoot. I am happy for you that you were able to unload the little devil.

LC9s. If you didn’t reassemble it correctly after cleaning Ruger advised me to hit it with a rubber mallet to unjam it. It shot fine but I couldn’t trust it. Got rid of others just because I could.

None so far.
I never buy the latest and greatest until it's been out for awhile and I always listen to forum members reviews they are the ones who use their firearms unlike paid gun mag journalists.
Never had buyers remorse yet..

My first and second Kimber K6. The first one would strike the primer randomly and wouldn't advance the cylinder half of the time. After two trips back they sent me a new one "thoroughly checked" and it would shoot a larger pattern than any shotgun I own at seven yards. That's how I came to buy my S&W 640 pro which shoots like a dream.

I ended up buying a lightweight, but heard a lot of good things about the 640 PRO when I was researching! They are nice wheelguns.

I ended up buying a lightweight, but heard a lot of good things about the 640 PRO when I was researching! They are nice wheelguns.
I almost went lightweight myself but I wanted to run magnums without feeling it as much on my end. The 640 is easily one of my favorite handguns.

Walther PPKs, hands down. Bought it when I lived in Detroit, where ya pretty much better be armed all the time. Great little carry gun, but HATED shooting it. Snappy, kinda painful with the super thin backstrap, not terribly reliable, and bit the heck out of the top of my hand. Sold it for a small loss at a gun show and was happy to have it gone.

Kimber Micro 9, shouldn’t have got it, glad I got rid of it.
This is mine as well. It didn’t like to go back into battery, I tried several different types of ammunition with the same result. It wasn’t the most pleasant to shoot either. i was constantly re-gripping.

Back