testtest

What have you bought firearms related in the last 48 hours?

....but I have fitted walnut gun cases for a pair of Colt SAA's on my short list of woodworking projects in the new year, so it is gun related.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Honestly, I'm not planning on spending much on gun-related things in 2024, other than ammo and training. There's always that 'shiny new thing' that leads me to impulse buy, but the reality is that I have all my bases covered and then some, and I need to remind myself of that whenever I get tempted.

Ordered a set of roll pin punches and two sets of hex wrenches (SAE and metric) off Amazon. I already have a good torque wrench I had from my days as an aircraft mechanic, good quality, so I'm good there. Ordered a bench block also cuz I'm tired of improvising.
I assume you already know that for smaller things like handgun optics you really need a torque driver as opposed to a big 'ol torque wrench ? Something like a Wheeler Fat Wrench.

I assume you already know that for smaller things like handgun optics you really need a torque driver as opposed to a big 'ol torque wrench ? Something like a Wheeler Fat Wrench.
My torque wrench is in inch pounds, I'm guessing that's small enough. I never had my own "big"one. I have calipers also. All stuff I wasn't able to sell off years ago when I let my tool box go. I'm just gathering up things I am seeing here and there that I may need when tinkering with my guns.

My torque wrench is in inch pounds, I'm guessing that's small enough. I never had my own "big"one. I have calipers also. All stuff I wasn't able to sell off years ago when I let my tool box go. I'm just gathering up things I am seeing here and there that I may need when tinkering with my guns.
Well I have regular torque wrenches in ft lbs and inch lbs, but they’re regular long handled automotive type torque wrenches. They work for torquing a barrel nut down on an AR but not so handy for installing a red dot with a T-15 screw.

It’s a great idea to gather up tools you’ll need though. You’re going down the rabbit hole. I can tell. 😊

Not going to go there .. nope .. letting that one go…

1704075010461.gif

Well I have regular torque wrenches in ft lbs and inch lbs, but they’re regular long handled automotive type torque wrenches. They work for torquing a barrel nut down on an AR but not so handy for installing a red dot with a T-15 screw.

It’s a great idea to gather up tools you’ll need though. You’re going down the rabbit hole. I can tell. 😊
That obvious, eh? :ROFLMAO: ;)

I skipped out on a Harbor Freight inch pounds 1/4 inch drive this morning and bought the FAT Wrench, but it was because my last experience with the same tool from HB was sub par to say the least.
I repair, and overhaul aircraft components for a living, a standard "long" handle torque wrench is as good tool as any, and is more useful than my newly acquired FAT Wrench, you know how I know? Because my calibrated tool box DOESN'T have a FAT Wrench in it.
Not to come off as what I'm sure you're calling me under your breath, but experience, twenty six years of it, tells me what works. I use what I know works.
There's seems to be more assumption here than there should be.............

I skipped out on a Harbor Freight inch pounds 1/4 inch drive this morning and bought the FAT Wrench, but it was because my last experience with the same tool from HB was sub par to say the least.
I repair, and overhaul aircraft components for a living, a standard "long" handle torque wrench is as good tool as any, and is more useful than my newly acquired FAT Wrench, you know how I know? Because my calibrated tool box DOESN'T have a FAT Wrench in it.
Not to come off as what I'm sure you're calling me under your breath, but experience, twenty six years of it, tells me what works. I use what I know works.
There's seems to be more assumption here than there should be.............
Oh I'm sure a professional grade torque wrench is more accurate than the Fat Wrench. I know mine are. And I'm sure it matters on aircraft parts. Kind of a pain to use on a red dot or scope mount though. I imagine that's why you bought a Fat Wrench.

Back