testtest

What Is a Get Home Bag?

What I think is most imperative is where one will meet loved ones, friends, etc. after forced to use the “get home bag”
All may be scattered. Work, school, home and the like. Have a plan for each person on where a meeting spot will be.

For me, Home is the rally point if within walking distance. Always. If not, know with loved ones who is going where and who tries to shelter in place. Have a route planned from key places like work. If you have to get your wife for instance, have a plan of what route she is taking to try to get to the rally point if you have to fo find her. Same for kids.

good example is a Tornado. What if roads are impassable and kids and spouse are at work and school. Who’s doing what and where. Each person will be different on their scenario, but key is to have a “plan that works” for your family.

For those who live where there are seasonal weather considerations, remember that your Get Home Bag should also account for such swings and variations.

Incorporating a level of base readiness with additional supplies that are staged from your vehicle, work, etc. can both address the need to cover seasonal items as well as further expand the capabilities of your bag to meet unforeseen demands.

Also, for electronics, be sure to use quality batteries and to maintain the batteries properly. Lithium primaries no longer lead the way where it comes to supplying power to today's highest-performance devices, but even so, they still offer arguably the best retained-charge-over-time, particularly for areas of the country that sees extreme temperature swings (which are often magnified by the fact that these bags are often staged in a vehicle that is itself exposed to the elements). Even AA and AAA lithium primaries of the appropriate voltage to power common consumer electronics are now readily available and no longer outrageously expensive, and can insure that your powered electronics will not succumb to alkaline leakage. Consider "dual-fuel" devices that can take both lithium primaries or modern rechargeables - and if using the latter, remember to verify charge-levels and re-charge as-necessary (much like the spare tire in your vehicle....which you last checked, when? ;) ). [ Note: The good thing about modern rechargeables is how well they hold a charge, even over extended periods of disuse. As long as you've properly vetted the item that it's powering -that it does not draw a parasitic charge- modern rechargeables are typically good-to-go on one charge, on a half-year to year cycle. ]

Another great article Mike, I don’t want to split hairs however mentioned in the article is cars that are crushed or not accessible because of a natural disaster means that thinking ahead you may need to bring the GHB into your office or work place but many employers don’t allow firearms at work.

Another great article Mike, I don’t want to split hairs however mentioned in the article is cars that are crushed or not accessible because of a natural disaster means that thinking ahead you may need to bring the GHB into your office or work place but many employers don’t allow firearms at work.

They aren't going to search your car. And at any rate my job is not worth my life. That said, I wouldn't personally leave a firearm in a back pack in my car anyway. That's a terrible idea. A couple extra mags for the one I am violating company policy by carrying on my person, sure. The author even states it is a good idea to have a full size in your bag as well as whatever carry gun you have on you. And in the same article he says only pack what you need.

Obviously everyone's situation is different, but my "GHB" is a "Tactical" fanny pack. It has very little in it. No water or food because I have that stuff with me in my lunch box every day. No guns because I have one with me on my hip every day. No first aid stuff because I already have that in my truck as well as a bleed kit. Multi-tool, flashlight, spare mags, extra knife, Ibuprofen and that's about it. That fanny pack does double duty. On range days it's a dump pouch for shotgun shells.

They aren't going to search your car. And at any rate my job is not worth my life. That said, I wouldn't personally leave a firearm in a back pack in my car anyway. That's a terrible idea. A couple extra mags for the one I am violating company policy by carrying on my person, sure. The author even states it is a good idea to have a full size in your bag as well as whatever carry gun you have on you. And in the same article he says only pack what you need.

Obviously everyone's situation is different, but my "GHB" is a "Tactical" fanny pack. It has very little in it. No water or food because I have that stuff with me in my lunch box every day. No guns because I have one with me on my hip every day. No first aid stuff because I already have that in my truck as well as a bleed kit. Multi-tool, flashlight, spare mags, extra knife, Ibuprofen and that's about it. That fanny pack does double duty. On range days it's a dump pouch for shotgun shells.
I didn’t say the employer would search your car in fact in most instances that’s illegal and you are a lucky minority that you can carry at work, I agree leaving a firearm in a vehicle is a BAD idea.
Every (almost every) article I have read on both GHBags and BOBags are tactical looking so carrying that bag into your workplace including a firearm in that “type” of bag could be a reg flag that results in a search and unemployment including criminal charges. My opinion.

I didn’t say the employer would search your car in fact in most instances that’s illegal and you are a lucky minority that you can carry at work, I agree leaving a firearm in a vehicle is a BAD idea.
Every (almost every) article I have read on both GHBags and BOBags are tactical looking so carrying that bag into your workplace including a firearm in that “type” of bag could be a reg flag that results in a search and unemployment including criminal charges. My opinion.
Can carry might not be the right phrase.

Back