testtest

What Is the Best AR Caliber for Hunting?

" The first .223 barrels rotated bullets 1 turn in 14 inches. "

Partly true as I understand it. The barrels were engineered this way but were actually built with even looser twists such as 1:16 and even 1:18 as manufacturers didn't have the tooling at the time.

The 1:14 was specifically selected because Stoner could imagine engagements beyond 125 yards. This is all according Mr. Alexander Rose and the book "American Rifle: A Biography"

Rabbit, coyote,other pests using 5.56/.223 and frangible rounds such as varmint grenade, .450 bushmaster for whitetail and larger game. 300 AAC (blackout) for deer, hog etc also.

The wonderful thing is many of these just need an upper receiver swap and little more

Yes I know. I just don't kill rabbits or coyotes. And the stuff I do kill I already have rifles for. I mean that's no excuse not to get one anyway, but I don't see myself doing any hunting with an AR.

" The first .223 barrels rotated bullets 1 turn in 14 inches. "

Partly true as I understand it. The barrels were engineered this way but were actually built with even looser twists such as 1:16 and even 1:18 as manufacturers didn't have the tooling at the time.

The 1:14 was specifically selected because Stoner could imagine engagements beyond 125 yards. This is all according Mr. Alexander Rose and the book "American Rifle: A Biography"
Stoner could *not* imagine engaging targets.

Needed to add that correction

I have been told that Iowa, Ohio and Indiana forbid hunting whitetail with any necked cartridge, regardless of the caliber (there is one more state but I forget...I'm old). 350 Legend and 450 BM are prefect for these states, and the AR platform is commonly available in these 2 calibers. I'd mention 45-70 (also legal being a non-necked cartridge), but it is far less available in both rifles and ammunition (and a lot more expensive). I've had 2 different customers ask me to find them an AR in 450BM for hunting in IA in the last 2 weeks. No, it's not ideal for an 800 yard shot, but no one I know takes a whitetail from 800 yards near me...

I have been told that Iowa, Ohio and Indiana forbid hunting whitetail with any necked cartridge, regardless of the caliber (there is one more state but I forget...I'm old). 350 Legend and 450 BM are prefect for these states, and the AR platform is commonly available in these 2 calibers. I'd mention 45-70 (also legal being a non-necked cartridge), but it is far less available in both rifles and ammunition (and a lot more expensive). I've had 2 different customers ask me to find them an AR in 450BM for hunting in IA in the last 2 weeks. No, it's not ideal for an 800 yard shot, but no one I know takes a whitetail from 800 yards near me...
No necked cartridges in Ohio for any hunting.

Michigan

No 6.5 Creedmore...it has a neck. Origins have to do with how far the bullet "can" travel once fired (along with corresponding speed of the bullet relative to it's caliber). No, it makes no sense, but these are the laws that show up when we are not paying attention.

It's not that crazy..WIsconsin allowed only shotgun hunting for deer until about 10 years ago (just a guess) south of an imaginary line across the middle of the state (Highway 10 if I remember), and still has a lot of smaller parcels of acreage that forbid rifles across the state. All in the name of safety!:poop:

It's not that crazy..WIsconsin allowed only shotgun hunting for deer until about 10 years ago (just a guess) south of an imaginary line across the middle of the state (Highway 10 if I remember), and still has a lot of smaller parcels of acreage that forbid rifles across the state. All in the name of safety!:poop:
It was highway 29. In all my years of deer hunting in Wisconsin I never shot a deer with a rifle because of that law. I shot lots of them with slugs. The laws have changed now but I don't live there are near there anymore so I don't know the details.

In Pennsylvania...

You can only use manually operated rifles and handguns for big game. No semi-autos!

For small game you may use manual or semi-auto .22 rimfire or less rifles and handguns.

Allegheny county is shotgun only and Philadelphia county nothing more than a bow due to their population.

I believe their are similar restrictions in Maryland.

Maybe just me but I can’t think of a single animal I would hunt where an AR15 would be my weapon of choice.
My buddy has taken several deer with an AR in .223; boiler room hits, clean kills…most drop where they stand, none run more than 50 yards.

Bullet selection & knowing the caliber’s limitations are key.

I took a deer with a 10” .223 Contender at 50 yards, clean, quick kill, very little meat damaged. The 52gr TTSX fully exited the chest (perfect side shot).

My buddy has taken several deer with an AR in .223; boiler room hits, clean kills…most drop where they stand, none run more than 50 yards.

Bullet selection & knowing the caliber’s limitations are key.

I took a deer with a 10” .223 Contender at 50 yards, clean, quick kill, very little meat damaged. The 52gr TTSX fully exited the chest (perfect side shot).
That's not legal in this state and I agree with that law. 90% of average hunters can't reasonably guarantee a clean kill with a projectile that small. That makes it unethical in my mind.

Back