testtest

What is the best Home Defense Weapon?

If I was recommending to a friend I would probably direct them to a pistol caliber carbine. With or without a red dot. Super easy to get on target with little to no experience.
I have a lever action 44mag carbine with a red dot in the corner and currently a S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm with attached light on the nightstand. After my next range trip the RO Elite 10mm with attached light will be on the nightstand.

2 story house, stone exterior, 19" thick exterior walls, 4 acres (with good sightlines), no kids, 3 dogs. We all sleep upstairs in the same room, and they (husky mix, border collie mix, and...well...a pug) sleep lighter than I do so they'll alert and chase before I even wake up. Two of them will, anyway.

Once I'm awake, there's a tactical 12ga pump at my bedside right next to my cell phone - with me between it and the door - loaded with (1) 00 shot; (1) slug; 00 shot; slug; 00 shot. Choke point is the stairway. If I do go downstairs, all rooms have french doors on them that I can see through (10-pane glass panels), and I know my lighting and shadow throws by heart. If I see a shadow, I know where the person is who cast it. And I figure the "scatter"gun will work for me without ideal aim / space to line-up. Buckshot first to cast a wide net; slug next because in theory the other party will be slowed down by the pellets and a little easier to acquire.

Gun safe is a large unit, bolted to the floor, weighs about 800#, in the corner of the living room. Guns, cash, ammo, documents...all locked safely away in there. Easy reach when I'm awake and watching TV / doing "awake" stuff downstairs; locked secure when I go up to sleep. Insurance can cover the rest (laptops, whisky, TV, stereo); I'd prefer to survive and file the claim later.

My XDs 9mm generally lives on my hip anytime I'm awake and wearing clothes. Come home from work, throw on sweats...and it lives nearby until I hit the recliner, which is when it goes in the safe (I have a tendency to fall asleep in the chair and don't want a loose weapon on the ground floor, in case "someone" grabs it before I wake and react). But I always have a quick retreat upstairs to the 12ga if needed.

Honestly, though...the area I live in is very rural, with little to no local crime so it's not a huge concern of mine. But I have a plan anyway.

2 story house, stone exterior, 19" thick exterior walls, 4 acres (with good sightlines), no kids, 3 dogs. We all sleep upstairs in the same room, and they (husky mix, border collie mix, and...well...a pug) sleep lighter than I do so they'll alert and chase before I even wake up. Two of them will, anyway.

Once I'm awake, there's a tactical 12ga pump at my bedside right next to my cell phone - with me between it and the door - loaded with (1) 00 shot; (1) slug; 00 shot; slug; 00 shot. Choke point is the stairway. If I do go downstairs, all rooms have french doors on them that I can see through (10-pane glass panels), and I know my lighting and shadow throws by heart. If I see a shadow, I know where the person is who cast it. And I figure the "scatter"gun will work for me without ideal aim / space to line-up. Buckshot first to cast a wide net; slug next because in theory the other party will be slowed down by the pellets and a little easier to acquire.

Gun safe is a large unit, bolted to the floor, weighs about 800#, in the corner of the living room. Guns, cash, ammo, documents...all locked safely away in there. Easy reach when I'm awake and watching TV / doing "awake" stuff downstairs; locked secure when I go up to sleep. Insurance can cover the rest (laptops, whisky, TV, stereo); I'd prefer to survive and file the claim later.

My XDs 9mm generally lives on my hip anytime I'm awake and wearing clothes. Come home from work, throw on sweats...and it lives nearby until I hit the recliner, which is when it goes in the safe (I have a tendency to fall asleep in the chair and don't want a loose weapon on the ground floor, in case "someone" grabs it before I wake and react). But I always have a quick retreat upstairs to the 12ga if needed.

Honestly, though...the area I live in is very rural, with little to no local crime so it's not a huge concern of mine. But I have a plan anyway.
Seems to be a very well thought out plan at that. So have you practiced coming home to a open door? House sweep?

Yep.

Step 1 - call PD. "Here's the address, I'm the homeowner, I'm wearing XYZ, I'm 6'4", white, cleancut, armed and about to enter the building with my firearm out."

I know my blind spots, I know all the noise sources (this step makes this squeak; that floorboard makes that click) not only to avoid making my own noises, but also to locate the 'other people', I know all my usual door positions, and I know how to block access to my back as I work my way through.

Most importantly, ALL my friends know not to let themselves in without at least a text message...because they all know I'm armed. Everyone calls or texts first.

If I came home to an open door, I wouldn't sweep the house "alone" unless family was in possible danger inside. I'd call police otherwise and let multiple units do the sweep the correct way...as a team. If no lives are in immediate danger, it's just property and I won't risk my life for property.

But...that's just my opinion. Everyone sets their own limits and boundaries.
Yup, agreed. Call PD, tell them someone is in your house, that you are armed outside (not necessarily with gun un-holstered yet, but informing them to be on the safe side nonetheless), your description, and seek cover. Let the police do their job that they were trained to do (at least in most cases, as I'm think about that poor homeowner that was shot by a police officer in her own home). Property doesn't justify the taking of a life, and even if justified, it's potentially a world of hurt financially and emotionally.

Yep.

Step 1 - call PD. "Here's the address, I'm the homeowner, I'm wearing XYZ, I'm 6'4", white, cleancut, armed and about to enter the building with my firearm out."

I know my blind spots, I know all the noise sources (this step makes this squeak; that floorboard makes that click) not only to avoid making my own noises, but also to locate the 'other people', I know all my usual door positions, and I know how to block access to my back as I work my way through.

Most importantly, ALL my friends know not to let themselves in without at least a text message...because they all know I'm armed. Everyone calls or texts first.
"...I know my blind spots, I know all the noise sources (this step makes this squeak; that floorboard makes that click)..."

You sound real similar to my middle brother (ret'd LEO). He moved to Florida last year, and he told me he has to "learn" his new house. Being built on a slab there are no tell-tale floor squeaks. Just him and his really alert Schnouzer (sp?), and it wouldn't be advisable to invade his place.

Great open ended questions as a moderator KLG.

Long guns difficult to maneuver, rifles over penetrating.... I stick with my XDm 4.5 in .45acp with Federal Hydra Shock JHP ammo. TLR laser/light combo on the XDm and a seperate 1200 lumen Duracell flashlight. The laser/light on the pistol is great but.... I don't want to point a loaded .45 at "noises" (aka: wife, kids, dog). You can also use the second light as a distraction. Throw it into the room so bad guy goes for the light, while you go for bad guy.
View attachment 232
I hear where your coming from Shamrocker. But below Pics of my CZ Scorpion Micro is in a small enough size for CQB. It's to replace my larger Scorpion after I add Red Dot and lights, etc. I'm thinking of checking out the Sig Copperhead as well.

IMG_1188.JPG
IMG_1193.jpg

I hear where your coming from Shamrocker. But below Pics of my CZ Scorpion Micro is in a small enough size for CQB. It's to replace my larger Scorpion after I add Red Dot and lights, etc. I'm thinking of checking out the Sig Copperhead as well.
Here are pics of my larger Scorpion that the Micro will eventually replace. The barrel on this scorpion is longer making the Micro a bit less unwieldy to operate in tight confines.

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

I like the pistol for the speed and ease of use. 9mm has virtually no recoil, you can load it with just about anything, and typically over penetration is not an issue.
I like the shotgun with O buckshot for the knockdown power and the proven effectiveness of the shotgun in close quarters where over penetration is a concern.
I like the idea of the AR15 for CQC/defense as you are loosing essentially a .22 call round at well over 2300 fps. The manueverablity and the versatility of the platform allows the owner to greatly customize the weapon. The characteristics of the .223 and the tendency to tumble when contacting soft tissue and the light weight of the round lend to larger wound cavity without going through walls.
If I had the money I would build an AR as a back up to my 9mm, or in the case of multiple assailants.

Okay now that’s sexy. Guess I might be looking into one of those after my TS12 purchase with taxes.
Yeah KLGunner, it does get costly. I bought the larger Scorpion pistols several years ago and just added the brace last year. Together the pistol, brace and pistol end brace attachment, ran over 1K (about the same as the micro, but they're tough to find right know and may come down in price later on). It seems to be the trend in Europe to go more towards the micro 9mm SMG for CQB (CZ, H&K, etc). Good luck when you eventually get it. It shoots great.

Back