testtest

What Is Your Favorite Knife Locking Mechanism?

The Night Rider

Professional

I really haven't been a knife 'collector" for very long. Until recently the only two locking mechanisms I was even aware of were Back Locks (Buck) and Barrel Locks (Opinel).
My first "Tactical" knife was a CRKT Ignitor that had a Liner Lock that just never looked all that sturdy to me. I own one Liner Lock now but it was a gift.

A former coworker told me once that he
refuses to ever dress a deer with a folding knife because the lock on a Buck 110 failed on him and almost cut his finger off but I've never seen a back lock fail.

My personal preference is for Back Locks or Axis Locks

Last edited:
I prefer a beefy liner lock. I like that I can actually see how the lock engages the blade and can make sure that it is making an appropriate amount of contact. I'm sure that many other systems do a fine job, but I like the simplicity of the liner lock.

Favorite? The Blackie Collins Boston action. Very sadly To my knowledge no current production knife uses it. All is not lost however as I personally believe there are several locks which are inspired by it, including the axis and ball bearing locks.

Last edited:
I really like the Buck style lock when doing heavy work but for lighter work especially when I am constantly closing the knife during repetitive tasks, the one handed usefulness of a liner lock is also nice. For skinning elk, deer, bear, etc I have a fixed bladed skinner I have used for since the early 70s I wouldn't trade for anything. (Kershaw Model 1030)

As a side note, whenever legal, I am at least going to carry a flipper knife with a preference for an automatic knife. My current daily carry is now a Buck 122 Auto Elite which replaces a Buck 500 custom conversion automatic. Where autos are a no no, I really like the CIVIVI Elementum. Where flippers and locking blades are illegal :mad: I have a cheap stainless "credit card multitool".

I'm not nearly as particular as you guys. Mostly I think people who have had locking mechanisms on their knives fail were using the wrong knife for the job. I have never in my life dressed an animal with a folding knife of any kind. Folders or for when you have to conceal or for daily utilitarian knives. Things like cutting open boxes or packages, cutting rope or tubing, stripping a wire, makeshift screwdriver or pry bar, etc..

This one is cool. I'd carry it.

I'm not nearly as particular as you guys. Mostly I think people who have had locking mechanisms on their knives fail were using the wrong knife for the job. I have never in my life dressed an animal with a folding knife of any kind. Folders or for when you have to conceal or for daily utilitarian knives. Things like cutting open boxes or packages, cutting rope or tubing, stripping a wire, makeshift screwdriver or pry bar, etc..

Very nice bassbob I like it

I agree with Bassbob about using the knives wrong when the locking mechanisms fail. I have used all of the named locking systems and never had one fail. Seems to me that a knife would have to be used in a manner completely inconsistent with how it was designed.

Bassbob , I have used a folding knife to skin and quarter a deer once. I have posted about it before . It was a Schrade USA made model 330. I have one in my pocket right now and it has a 2 & 1/4 " cutting length blade. Was it the proper tool for the job , no . Would I do it again just for fun ? Again no.

Back