testtest

What is Your Favorite Outdoor Clothing/Gear Brand?

Hi Everyone,

I've been working on an outdoor apparel brand concept and finally have the time to start developing prototypes with a factory in California. For the past 8 years I've been designing apparel for high-end luxury brands and I'm really excited to blend my climbing & hiking experience with my fashion experience. Anyways, I'd love some input and have a website setup to survey opinions on a few concepts, if you have the time I'd love to hear your thoughts! No pressure though, happy Fall!

https://www.wearsill.com/surveys

-Megan
Hi Megan, Welcome to TAL.
Good concept, I think this is an area @MsMelissa would be more qualified in but we try.

I typically wear Prada, Gucci, & whatever the Kardashians are doing at the time.
🤣🤣🤣View attachment 1437
Who are you kidding that’s @Annihilator
This is you dressed in cold weather gear.
7A973D4A-A431-412C-B65D-A89B17CCA813.jpeg

Khakis - Duluth Trading Firehose Flex
Shoes - Teva Riva(discontinued), the Ridgeview Low is similar.
Socks - Smartwool or REI brand merino wool.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE OUTDOOR CLOTHING/GEAR BRAND?​

Dickies Eisenhower jacket, Levis' blue jeans, and Walmart hiking boots.

i spare no money on looking cool, and sexy in my outer wear.

I don't lock-in to one brand, since I look for whatever fits my needs with quality at a reasonable price.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE OUTDOOR CLOTHING/GEAR BRAND?​

Dickies Eisenhower jacket, Levis' blue jeans, and Walmart hiking boots.

i spare no money on looking cool, and sexy in my outer wear.
Glad I bought a basic Carhartt parka way back when they were $70 shipped. couldn't believe how warm they are, almost too much for snow blowing and shoveling. Never liked wearing coats while driving, so I picked up a mid length and also couple of their lightweight shirt-jackets too. Not sure if Carhartt still make these shirt jack but others like Duluth have them available now.

Glad I bought a basic Carhartt parka way back when they were $70 shipped. couldn't believe how warm they are, almost too much for snow blowing and shoveling. Never liked wearing coats while driving, so I picked up a mid length and also couple of their lightweight shirt-jackets too. Not sure if Carhartt still make these shirt jack but others like Duluth have them available now.
yes, i actually also have a Carhart jacket, but it is a medium, not large, so as a result, it can be a bit "tight" and therefore, i cannot carry, with that on...

so i wear it exclusively for doctor appointments, where i do not carry.

TL/DR: I wear Wrangler Cargo Pants and shorts. and Red Head or Wrangler Shirts

This a kind of a long story. I'll hit the highlights.

The first factory I worked in was a sheet metal fabrication shop. My work clothes lasted at best a month before they were ruined. I started shopping at a Goodwill store that sold clothing by the pound.

After I left there I went to work in a factory that issued all of their employees uniforms. They said they did it specifically to eeliminate any drama over clothing choices.

That made sense to me. I also liked the simplicity of not having to decide what to wear every day. When I left that factory I bought five sets of Blue Dickie's work clothes and that's what I wore. When I became a security guard I was back in a uniform and I enjoyed the same benefit of not having to decide what to wear to work. The only change I made to my uniform was to buy black Wrangler Cargo pants to wear instead of my crappy uniform pants. I chose the Wranglers specifically bbecause of the phone pocket because it made carrying the company phone much easier.

About 7 years ago I decided to do the same thing with my street clothes. I went out and bought five pairs of Wranglers (based on how well they worked with my security uniform) and five Red Head and Wrangler shirts. I also bought a few long sleeve Wrangler/Red Head shirts for wear in the winter.

I put all of the clothes together in outfits and hung them in the closet. Now I simply grab the next set on the hanger.

Winter Clothing and Shoes.

I think I've talked about this before. This is where I used to work.
FB_IMG_1631779835149.jpg

If you look on the far left side of the photo that white line is the top of the office building.

FB_IMG_1458246924700.jpg

It was a great place to work especially when I was there by myself but if you notice there are no trees and there was absolutely nothing to stop the wind.

FB_IMG_1513197407684.jpg

Same place in the winter
FB_IMG_1512934854461.jpg

I know it doesn't really show in the picture but those are fox tracks going up that hill.

Long story short, my second year there I decided to take the opportunity to try out different cold weather gear and boots.

I ended up with Belleville Boots for my boots. They are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn and they are water proof.

SERIOUSLY waterproof.

I really like Cabela's Windshere Fleece and I use the USGI ECWCS Long Johns for winter clothes and a ECWCS Fleece coat.

Last thing I use USOA milspec socks. They are a cotton poly blend. They are moisture wicking and antimicrobial. I pay 4 dollars a pair for them

Last edited:
I wear XXLTall and many of the brands don't have my size. My go to for outdoor clothing are 5.11 and Cabelas. 5.11 understands CCW. For jackets it's Carhart and Duluth for firehose work pants.

I wear XXLTall and many of the brands don't have my size. My go to for outdoor clothing are 5.11 and Cabelas. 5.11 understands CCW. For jackets it's Carhart and Duluth for firehose work pants.
I am also big and tall and historically purchased Cabela's for hunting clothing. Cabela's sizes are truer then allot of other garments. I'm 6'8" and down to a 50 jacket, 37 1/2 sleeve and 36" inseam. I am mostly an avid hunter, Whitetail, pheasant, turkey and also big game. I had been looking for a high-end brand of mountain hunting gear and had looked at Sitka, KUIU, First Light and others and none of them really had my sizes. A couple of years ago I started using SKRE as they had Talls and a no-question return policy. They make tall jackets to 4x (Which is really a 2X) and their inseams and sleeve lengths fit me. I have only worn them on a couple of hunts but the material breaths well, stretches where it should and seems very durable.

Back