testtest

What Only the Hunter Knows

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member

It's universally true, and yet few of us ever discuss it openly. Here's hunting's best-kept secret.

What Only the Hunter Knows

1658162772048.png

Lots of things that hunters know, feel, and see that those who never take the road less traveled off the pavement never imagine.

Things like a chipmunk curling up on the toe of your boot for a nap. Like deciding to use your one antlered deer tag for the year on a way past it's prime buck that looks to be starving.

Things your dad, or other hunter, if you were lucky enough to be raised by a hunter ingrained in you or if not, you learned yourself through experiences.

I cannot imagine life without knowing those things and feelings.

Eventually that tinge of regret/remorse started coming immediately. The last 5 years I deer hunted I only did it because it was the only thing left I could do with my pop who is now 82 and can't walk very far or see very well and the last 10 or better I felt bad about. I did nothing unethical, I guess I just got to liking animals more than people in my old age. I don't eat much meat and right this minute I am watching birds on multiple feeders and a pile of goofball squirrels. The last few deer I killed I made him believe he had killed. I will say on his very last hunt he killed 2 nice does, which was a great way for him to go out.

Anyway I made my mind up that when my dad could no longer do it I was done as well. I am 53 and in very good shape for my age and considering how my life went so far. I miss being in the woods so I go out and just sit often. Not usually during deer or turkey season though.

I don't hunt. I went a few times if not for anything just to be out in nature away from all the hustle and bustle of life I'm 51 now w 31 of those years in Law Enforcement and I hate to admit it but the last few years and the way things are going I'm starting to actually like animals better than most not all people. Sad to say but with all I've seen and done especially people I deal with animals are better in most matters. Every now and then I take a hike through nature and I'll pick a spot and just sit and listen. I find it very relaxing.

My dad taught me that we are part of the natural cycle of life and death. I do not feel a real regret, but do feel a deep respect for thier life and thank them for thier sacrifice, and that thier body will sustain us. He did not believe in celebrating in his words by making mounts or taking pictures of the animal.

One of his regrets, that I agree with, is that when we die our body cannot be left for their sustenance. This cost me a decent grade on a psychology assignment in college where the professor thought I was making a joke of the assignment.

Back