testtest

What would you like to see Springfield armory make next?

Won't work for either. The receiver is sized for the .308 case length.

Would need a completely new rifle design.

During WW2 trial versions of M-1 Garands were modified were made selective fire and accepted BAR magazines were named the T20. It was made in 1944 by John Garand and was in testing to go into service, however it never saw active duty and was never released to the public after WW2 ended. I believe one or two of them still exists in museums.
Interesting as the original Garand was 30-06. They rechambered a lot of them to .308, they had a ramp like spacer to guide the cartridge into the chamber. I would think it would take very little ingenuity to slightly add length to the receiver and operating rod.

Interesting as the original Garand was 30-06. They rechambered a lot of them to .308, they had a ramp like spacer to guide the cartridge into the chamber. I would think it would take very little ingenuity to slightly add length to the receiver and operating rod.

It's a lot easier to go with a shorter length cartridge in a M1. In many ways the Garand/M-14 design is a tricky beast in some ways. The op rod system is the weak link.

Some have bubbad up a BAR magazine in a Garand but it wasn't reliable, & BAR mags aren't common anymore.

It would take completely redesigning the receiver, the bolt, etc. The M1A was designed as a 7.62x51 (and can be converted to calibers that share it as a parent case). It’s a lot easier to run a shorter cartridge than an action was designed for than a longer one.

And, really? Unless you want to run heavy (200gr+) bullets, I don’t see where .30-06 has a big advantage over .308...the reason Big Green went to it, in fact, is that it had the same performance in a shorter cartridge.

Not that it wouldn’t be cool, though.

Yes . I should have been more descriptive. I mean a small polymer handgun maybe shaped like the XDs but closer in size to the Ruger LCPII.

Probably not likely, as it would be unimportable due to GCA68 restrictions...and all of their polymers come from Croatia.

That’s why Glock had to set up manufacturing in the US for their Compact single stacks (42, 43, 48, etc).,,and why you don’t see Glock 25s and 28s in the US.

Looks to me the .40 is dead. In my area none of the shops carry or take a .40 in trade for a firearm. There are so many LE agencies that have turned in the .40 for 9mm.

They (shops) will special order a .40 but you must pay in full before they will order it.
.40 is not dead. It's been traded out for the 9mm in the past but law enforcement returned to the .40 for obvious reasons. However when the FBI returned to the 9mm many law enforcement agencies followed suit based on the FBI's decision. Then consumers also followed suit. But what many consumers never took into consideration is that when a law enforcement agency decides on a weapon and ammo $$$$ cost is a huge influence. So even though the 9mm is a great round, it's not at the performance of a .40
I have spoken to Springfield and asked about the .40 sales. I was told that they produce what the industry is leaning towards, and have mentioned the same in the .40 being out of season per say. However, Springfield as well as other weapon manufacturers still make .40, just not in the fashion of recent past. Just like the 10mm. The 10mm was the FBI's choice to begin with. Then they moved to the .40. For years people said the 10mm was dead. Now look at it. It's making it's run again. I realize the .40 is just my choice over a 9mm. But I believe the performance of the .40 is worth the cost of the more expensive ammunition. But people like what they like and choose what they like from personal preference.And I'm sure there will be many that differ from mine.

Correct the FBI needed a round that had much better results after Miami. They tried to download the 10mm but that created more problems. Hence a shorter and weaker round. I don't think the .40 brought much more to the market then what was already there in the 45 ACP but we also have to take into consideration that bullet technology has come a long way in the last twenty-five or thirty years versus that point in time.

I love my CC XDm 3.8 in .45acp and personally my back up is a small 9mm. I'd love to see a 3.8 10mm.

Correct the FBI needed a round that had much better results after Miami. They tried to download the 10mm but that created more problems. Hence a shorter and weaker round. I don't think the .40 brought much more to the market then what was already there in the 45 ACP but we also have to take into consideration that bullet technology has come a long way in the last twenty-five or thirty years versus that point in time.

I love my CC XDm 3.8 in .45acp and personally my back up is a small 9mm. I'd love to see a 3.8 10mm.
Thats really not correct.

The FBI wanted a different round after a 115gr 9mm Silvertip acted...exactly as it was designed to act, and stopped 1/2” short of Platt’s heart (the fact that the entire situation was due to a complete and utter failure of tactics on the FBI’s side is another discussion...).

The FBI, when it looked at the 10mm, never, ever considered the full-power Norma load (200gr @ 1300fps); the wanted something that would duplicate the performance of a 185gr .45 @ 950-1000fps. Federal replicated it with their 180gr HydraShok load; the FBI adopted the S&W 1076, and it worked great(rumors of it being “too powerful” for female agents are entirely apocryphal...a few agents with smaller hands had issues with the longer trigger, but found the DAO 1086, with its slightly shorter trigger, worked fine).

Meanwhile, S&W looked at the performance of the “FBI Load”, and asked Olin-Winchester if they could duplicate the performance in a shorter cartridge that could be adapted to their double stack 9mm frames...and Winchester said they’d already developed it in the early-mid ‘80’s, but didn’t think it was commercially viable at the time.

I turned out that, with the bullet technology at the time, .40 was a somewhat better performer than 9mm, not quite as good as .45, but offered higher capacity...Glock beat everyone to the punch with their 15rd model 22, and history went from there.

I would like to see an XD-m XD-M® ELITE 4.5" OSP™ that comes with 10 round magazines so I can buy one in Maryland. Unfortunately Maryland restricts ALL guns to a capacity of 10 rounds. FN goes out of their way to sell theri handguns with a 10 round capacity option.
You can already have one. All you need to do is take the mag well off and use a 10 round mag.

Back