testtest

What's Your EDC, PLEASE VOTE

WHAT'S YOUR EDC, PLEASE VOTE

• Total voters
When I first decided to go 'compact', I decided on 9mm. I bought a KelTec PF9 and carried/trained with it almost exclusively for more than 10 yrs IIRC. It was an 8 shot with one in the pipe and that, certainly not a good comparison with some of the bigger semi's was still a 2 step increase from the S&W mod60 I was carrying at the time. I convinced myself that if the gun fight had not turned in my favor by 6 or 7, then it probably wasn't going to be a good day for me anyway by going to number 8.

Then along came the "Hellcat" with the 12 rnd capacity .... "hell" said I, that's a 50% increase over the PF9 and not a nickles worth of difference in size, I think I'll try one. Well, I bought my gun back in Jan of 2019 IIRC and fell in love with it right away. I began working with that gun and after a couple months I retired the PF9 and started packing the "Hellcat". Along about mid year 2020 I added the SMSc red dot sight, decided then and there, 'that's my gun' from now till something better comes along. So far I've not seen it and am completely happy to continue on with my "Hellcat".

I try to go through a couple hundred rounds each month with it ......... sometimes I make, some times I don't !!!(y)(y)(y) But for now it's the only one I carry.

I have many different platforms in the collection but: I have far too much a one track mind, or maybe I'm just simple, for all that variety iv carry guns. I pick one and train with it hard without switching around and if I do change start the training process anew. I do however have many different color boxer shorts.
My dad, gone for over 50 years now, always said, "fear the man with only one gun."
Because he will know how to use it.

When I first decided to go 'compact', I decided on 9mm. I bought a KelTec PF9 and carried/trained with it almost exclusively for more than 10 yrs IIRC. It was an 8 shot with one in the pipe and that, certainly not a good comparison with some of the bigger semi's was still a 2 step increase from the S&W mod60 I was carrying at the time. I convinced myself that if the gun fight had not turned in my favor by 6 or 7, then it probably wasn't going to be a good day for me anyway by going to number 8.

Then along came the "Hellcat" with the 12 rnd capacity .... "hell" said I, that's a 50% increase over the PF9 and not a nickles worth of difference in size, I think I'll try one. Well, I bought my gun back in Jan of 2019 IIRC and fell in love with it right away. I began working with that gun and after a couple months I retired the PF9 and started packing the "Hellcat". Along about mid year 2020 I added the SMSc red dot sight, decided then and there, 'that's my gun' from now till something better comes along. So far I've not seen it and am completely happy to continue on with my "Hellcat".

I try to go through a couple hundred rounds each month with it ......... sometimes I make, some times I don't !!!(y)(y)(y) But for now it's the only one I carry.
Primarily I change carry guns with the weather. Or really it depends what I’m wearing. If it’s just a t- shirt I carry a Shield. Jacket weather I’ll be carrying one of the 4” pistols.

I go through stupid amounts of ammo. It pisses my wife off but she gets over it. I’d guess in the neighborhood of 1000 rounds a month or better. Recently I’ve been training regularly with a retired military/current police instructor which has pushed that number up quite a bit.

Here’s my take. Train to be proficient across all the platforms you own or at least the ones you employ and have staged in your home, vehicle or on your person. I am never satisfied that I am proficient, hence why I go through so much ammo.
I have in the last year and a half gotten some ARs into my life. And while I do shoot them a few times a month, I haven’t come up with a training regimen yet so they are not incorporated into my security plan. Yet. It’s one of the things I am planning on getting to with this instructor.

I understand why people stick to one carry gun. I just prefer to strive to be competent with any of the ones I have, which let’s face it, they are all very similar and require little or nothing in the way of change fundamentally. The VP9 has ambi paddle mag release. Other than that they are all virtually the same just a little different in size and capacity.

My dad, gone for over 50 years now, always said, "fear the man with only one gun."
Because he will know how to use it.
Nothing against your dad ( RIP) but to me, that doesn’t make sense. You and everyone here has more than one gun.

It’s not like you’re a baseball pitcher and therefore you can’t be a good hitter. It’s not a one or the other situation. If you own a gun you should know how to use it. And as far as carrying goes, if the gun you carry requires more than unholstering, addressing a target and pressing the trigger I would say you need a different carry gun. Know what I mean?

Primarily I change carry guns with the weather. Or really it depends what I’m wearing. If it’s just a t- shirt I carry a Shield. Jacket weather I’ll be carrying one of the 4” pistols.

I go through stupid amounts of ammo. It pisses my wife off but she gets over it. I’d guess in the neighborhood of 1000 rounds a month or better. Recently I’ve been training regularly with a retired military/current police instructor which has pushed that number up quite a bit.

Here’s my take. Train to be proficient across all the platforms you own or at least the ones you employ and have staged in your home, vehicle or on your person. I am never satisfied that I am proficient, hence why I go through so much ammo.
I have in the last year and a half gotten some ARs into my life. And while I do shoot them a few times a month, I haven’t come up with a training regimen yet so they are not incorporated into my security plan. Yet. It’s one of the things I am planning on getting to with this instructor.

I understand why people stick to one carry gun. I just prefer to strive to be competent with any of the ones I have, which let’s face it, they are all very similar and require little or nothing in the way of change fundamentally. The VP9 has ambi paddle mag release. Other than that they are all virtually the same just a little different in size and capacity.
I understand your perspective and can't disagree with any of it. It's simply a matter for me that I don't have the time, ammo, or 'where-with-all' to do as much across all of them needed to feel proficient with them all. I do feel I'm reasonably competent with them in a pinch, but am actually far and away more proficient with my "Hellcat" right now than with anything else I own in a hectic gunfight.

Now on the other hand if we're in for a 'Gentleman's duel', then I'll be holdin' my Contender at most any distance the other guy wants to play. ;) :):)

Nothing against your dad ( RIP) but to me, that doesn’t make sense. You and everyone here has more than one gun.

It’s not like you’re a baseball pitcher and therefore you can’t be a good hitter. It’s not a one or the other situation. If you own a gun you should know how to use it. And as far as carrying goes, if the gun you carry requires more than unholstering, addressing a target and pressing the trigger I would say you need a different carry gun. Know what I mean?
What he meant is that no matter how much time and effort you put into your shooting, the more guns you have the less time is spent with each piece. With only one you become programmed with its ballistics, point of impact and best grip all inherently, unerringly, easier than a guy with a dozen guns can do for each of his. Time is limited, it can be shared with a dozen guns or concentrated on one.
I have some guns, my dad had a lot more than me. He was just trying to tell me to learn your gun, have faith in it, know it by instinct.

Like Bob, my EDC loadout changes a bit with my wardrobe. I replaced my Ruger LCP II with the new LCP Max .380 acp a few months back, and this is the gun I am most likely to carry. However, the LCP Max is not my primary weapon.

I carry a Sig Sauer P365 9mm IWB whenever my wardrobe allows, which is most of the time. On the somewhat rare occasions when I must tuck in my shirt, and I don't have an outer garment, I will pocket-carry the LCP Max as my only gun. If I am running/biking/walking in the neighborhood, then the LCP Max will be pocket-carried as my only gun. The rest of the time, the LCP Max is carried in my rear pocket as my backup.

The only other gun in my rotation is a S&W 351C in .22 WMR. The 351C is carried in the outer pocket of a heavy jacket on the rare occasions when I need one. My P365 will still be in my waistband, but I carry the 351C when I worry that I would have to get through too many layers to quickly retrieve the P365. The concealed hammer, 7-round capacity, ability to fire while inside a pocket, and 10.8 oz. weight justify the lower caliber of the 351C IMO.

I frequently train with all of my possible carry guns and am proficient with each of them. I fully accept that many shooters would not feel comfortable switching between 3 carry guns. I'm not recommending it for anyone who wouldn't be comfortable carrying more than one gun, but it works for me.

What he meant is that no matter how much time and effort you put into your shooting, the more guns you have the less time is spent with each piece. With only one you become programmed with its ballistics, point of impact and best grip all inherently, unerringly, easier than a guy with a dozen guns can do for each of his. Time is limited, it can be shared with a dozen guns or concentrated on one.
I have some guns, my dad had a lot more than me. He was just trying to tell me to learn your gun, have faith in it, know it by instinct.
It’s a fair enough point. I also think that if I were LEO or someone who often has cause to actually get in gunfights I might likely concentrate all my time on one pistol and one shotgun. But then concealing them wouldn’t be an issue either.

It’s a fair enough point. I also think that if I were LEO or someone who often has cause to actually get in gunfights I might likely concentrate all my time on one pistol and one shotgun. But then concealing them wouldn’t be an issue either.
I suppose this is me. I carried the same gun, or at least guns with the same manual of arms and caliber, both on and off duty for decades. I should note that in my career, I carried 14 different handguns for duty, many with similar operating systems so the transition was not difficult. It's also why my home defense shotgun is an 870-it's an old friend. I remember when we transitioned from revolvers to semi autos in the 80's. Lots of fumbling around on the range and slide bites until everybody assimilated "them new fangled furrin' nine milly-meters". Now I get security officer trainees who grew up on Glocks who have to carry revolvers for the job who fumble around with "them old fashioned sixguns" for a while. I suppose the next generation will need to choose between Galactic Photon Blasters and Plasma Phasers now that we have a Space Force.
242508583_190271819878255_6023985178113145879_n.jpg

Primary EDC is my Sig P239 9mm since 1999. Outdated by today's standard, but a great gun and I ain't gonna relegate it to safe queen. It goes in Mitch Rosen Express Line leather, with matching belt and dual mag pouch. So nice. Accompanied by POM pepper spray, a Spyderco Endura and a Fenix flashlight if it's going to be dark.

Sometimes an alternative is useful. For that I use a Taurus Model 85 .38, or a Kel-Tec P3AT (my shorts and t-shirt gun). I know that's a hodge-podge of guns, but they're what I have accumulated over the years and I feel I should make use of them. I'm a lifetime shooter and am comfortable and proficient with all manner of handguns. However, I agree it is advisable to stick to one similar family of guns, especially if you're starting from scratch.

Recently, I have started to carry at home as well, even though I live in a "nice town" in a "nice neighborhood." I find it isn't hard to keep my full sized Springfield XDm 9mm on me in a Vedder Light Draw holster with spare mag and a Swiss Army Knife. Why? Watching hundreds of videos of real home invasions and other criminal attacks, it hits home how fast it happens. If you're lucky, you may have a few seconds to respond before the bad guy(s) is on you. Getting to a gun somewhere else in the house may be a doubtful proposition. Since concealment isn't really an issue at home, I figure I may as well carry the biggest pistol I have. Other guns also stand ready to defend the home, but that's what I keep on me.

XD-M Elite 3.8 Compact OSP in 9mm. I recently switched from a Crossbreed Reckoning System holster to a Crucial Concealment Covert holster.

Back