testtest

Where to place dot

Hi everyone!! Im new here and have a question. I just purchased a new hellcat 9mm with the shield smsc red dot. This may sound stupid,but where do i place the dot when aiming? Do i line up my front and rear sights then place the dot on the front site. Or dhould the dot remain in the center of the glass window.. any info would be helpful

Hi everyone!! Im new here and have a question. I just purchased a new hellcat 9mm with the shield smsc red dot. This may sound stupid,but where do i place the dot when aiming? Do i line up my front and rear sights then place the dot on the front site. Or dhould the dot remain in the center of the glass window.. any info would be helpful

The Shield SMSc co-witnesses with the iron sights on the Hellcat. So... after any/all windage adjustments are made the red dot should be directly over the front sight and the front sight should be 'centered' in the rear sight 'U' all at the same time. If any of those are out of alignment shot placement will be where the red dot is.

Try this. After you have placed the red dot, front sight, and rear sight together on a point move the red dot as far away from the front sight as you can while it remains visible in the window. Don't move the pistol. Keep the red dot on that point and move your head so that the front sight covers the red dot. Your rear sight will now be centered and you will have proven to yourself that shot placement will be where the red dot is and your iron sights have just shown you that. I think your real question may have been something like "is the red dot superimposed upon the front sight or does it rest on top to make an '8' of sorts?" ?

That's my experience and 2 cents. If I'm off maybe someone else here can help us both understand this better. Maybe with examples of how this differs with a red dot that does not co-witness with iron sights? In such a case could suppressor sights be used such that the end result would be co-witnessed?

The dot and the irons need to be zero'd separately. All the red dots I've bought came already zero'd close enough to get you on paper. I put a Romeo 5 on a new AR and first group at 50 yards was about 2" low and very slightly right.

The Shield SMSc co-witnesses with the iron sights on the Hellcat. So... after any/all windage adjustments are made the red dot should be directly over the front sight and the front sight should be 'centered' in the rear sight 'U' all at the same time. If any of those are out of alignment shot placement will be where the red dot is.

Try this. After you have placed the red dot, front sight, and rear sight together on a point move the red dot as far away from the front sight as you can while it remains visible in the window. Don't move the pistol. Keep the red dot on that point and move your head so that the front sight covers the red dot. Your rear sight will now be centered and you will have proven to yourself that shot placement will be where the red dot is and your iron sights have just shown you that. I think your real question may have been something like "is the red dot superimposed upon the front sight or does it rest on top to make an '8' of sorts?" ?

That's my experience and 2 cents. If I'm off maybe someone else here can help us both understand this better. Maybe with examples of how this differs with a red dot that does not co-witness with iron sights? In such a case could suppressor sights be used such that the end result would be co-witnessed?
Yea that basically what i was asking. Gonna go back to the range when 9mm ammo is available. Thank you

Way too complicated for a handgun. Co-witness is fine with an AR since MRD mounts typically are set up for co-witness or other dot placement on AR BUIS or the fixed A2 front sight.

On a handgun just sight the dot in by itself.

The dot and the irons need to be zero'd separately. All the red dots I've bought came already zero'd close enough to get you on paper. I put a Romeo 5 on a new AR and first group at 50 yards was about 2" low and very slightly right.
Might seem obvious, might be easy to over look, I appreciate your adding clarity there, thanks.

Back