testtest

Which ammo for deer and hogs?

ColWade

Alpha
Hi, about to buy my next hunting rifle and seriously considering the Springfield Saint Victor. Is the 556 too light as round for taking down deer consistently? Or should I consider a bigger caliber like 7.62? Is 9mm a good choice or too little knock down power at a little range? Thanks for your help!

Hi, about to buy my next hunting rifle and seriously considering the Springfield Saint Victor. Is the 556 too light as round for taking down deer consistently? Or should I consider a bigger caliber like 7.62? Is 9mm a good choice or too little knock down power at a little range? Thanks for your help!
To light for deer and way to light on hogs

I’ve seen deer and hogs killed with 5.56, but it was a well placed earhole shot to the brain.
On the run deer or hog. No bueno

I hunt deer with a 7mm magnum. I had deer run off a bit when I hunted with .308 but the 7mm plants them DRT. Hogs I have taken with everything from .22 magnum to 45-70 and everything in between, but my primary hog gun is a SIG 516 with a Kill Light for night hunting in 5.56. It's all about shot placement.

This hog took around a dozen 5.56 to take him down when my son was around 10 yrs old. It ran awhile. Pucker factor big time with my son having a big hog running crazy

5.56 is less than ideal.
.300 BO or higher caliber needed
838D4EDD-464F-4265-82ED-CC26571D1E4D.jpeg

I have killed many, many deer and many hogs with a Ruger .44 Magnum Carbine. I have also killed the smaller hogs with a .22WRM as well. All of this was close range stuff. Long range stuff was accomplished with a .270. If you are set on using a Springfield Armory, I would use a .308 although that is more gun than necessary.

• 30.06 for deer. Shot placement is key. It’s a ball buster having to retrieve him if he ran deep into the thicket.
•I have never hunted hog but would definitely want a semiautomatic. •Magnum revolvers that can handle hot dangerous game ammo.

I’ve taken deer with a .223; shot placement is jet, and you need to be brutally honest in your ability to place it every time.

That being said…I think I’d go with 7.62x39 as my minimum hog caliber; and for a handgun, something with magnum in it’s name.
This
You can kill anything with just about any round with shot placement.

Here’s the issue with hogs if you have more than one, once the shot goes off, they are on the run. Good luck with perfect shot placement to knock them DRT with a 5.56 with them at 20+ mph.
Thus, larger calibers are necessary

In fact, had clients shoot 4 not well placed shots of .300BO and .308 into one hog recently as he was still running and I had to finish it off with my .308

I've never had a deer run more than 20'. I don't shoot at running deer and I don't take pot shots or shots I don't know I can make. I've literally only ever had to track one deer in my life and it wasn't one I shot it was one my buddy shot. And I have taken hundreds of deer in my life.

And yet many have taken elk with small calibers. The impact velocity of said caliber is another key factor. The "Bill Wilson" is just marketing on his part. The only advantage of the ham'r is the lighter bullets it's designed for are higher velocity by maybe 50-150fps depending on weight. I wish I'd waited for the ham'r to come out instead of investing in the bo!

And yet many have taken elk with small calibers. The impact velocity of said caliber is another key factor. The "Bill Wilson" is just marketing on his part. The only advantage of the ham'r is the lighter bullets it's designed for are higher velocity by maybe 50-150fps depending on weight. I wish I'd waited for the ham'r to come out instead of investing in the bo!
That ammo isn't cheap either. I entertained the idea of buying a Ham'r upper, but decided to get another 5.56.

This is what folks think hog hunting is:

0C3BD845-83F5-47DB-94B1-E19758EF4AA6.jpeg

This is reality. 15+ hogs on a dead run at you scattering after the first shot goes off.
Good luck with a 5.56
Good luck knowing you can hit an animal on the run, or several, coming at you.

Hogs are not deer. Deer move away. Most hogs move towards you. No natural predator in America for a full grown hog
7546267B-8ED8-4BE6-8B55-05FA943D5C2F.jpeg

Yes, IMO, the .223/5.56 is too light for deer in general. Can it be done? Sure, if everything is perfect and you are using high quality hunting bullets and the shot placement is perfect. Just my opinion after 42 years of deer hunting experience. Hogs are another story, I look at them like varmints and I think the .223 is ok with head/CNS shots

Coyotes on the run thru sagebrush are really dodgy. Most hogs when they start running, usually run in a straight line. In my part of the woods at least. Decades of coyote hunting can teach you a lot when they're on the run.

Back