testtest

Why an XDS (1st gen) 45ACP

PAGunGuy

Master Class
So I went to Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday with about $200 to spend and immediately went to the used gun cabinet.

They had a few interesting things.

But I kept looking at the first Gen XDs. They only wanted $250

I was intrigued. I don't really NEED a small gun as i have my Hellcat Pro that I love. But, that price was interesting.

Then I looked closer at the tag and saw it was 5 rounds. That's when I discovered that it was in 45ACP. Then I looked even closer and say that it had the Crimson Trace trigger guard laser.

I am really torn on this.

I carry 9 and 45 and I don't necessarily have a preference of either caliber. I may carry the 45 a little more, just because it's a 1911 and that is my preference. But most of the time I favor capacity over caliber. Yesterday I was carrying my Glock 17. Today for chruch I will probably carry the 1911 as I am just exponentially more accurate with it

So anyway, back to the XD. Financially it seems like a good deal. But I don't know if I can get past the 5+1. I mean it's basically the same size as my Hellcat Pro with 1/3 the capacity. And I specifically don't carry a revolver as I think the limited capacity is silly when there are so many good semi-auto options. (again, just my personal opinion)

But, something just has me not being able to stop thinking about the XD

I do see that they make a 7 round magazine, which is intriguing. I don't love how expensive Springfield mags are, but it is what it is, and i would probably one buy 1

So, interwebs, what do you think? Does it make sense to grab it, or let someone else get the deal?

Ironically, despite what I said earlier, I am kindling waiting to come across a good deal on a used 38 special revolver, just because I don't have one and I know eventually I will see one for under $200. I have seen them pretty often by Charter Arms, Rock Island or Taurus

I’d also pass, but…$250 is a pretty good deal. If you want to try a small .45, that’s a great way to do it cheap..and if you don’t like it, you probably wouldn’t lose much (if anything) on it if you decided to sell/trade it.

CDNN has the 7rd mags for $38.99.

FWIW, the pre-trigger recall XDS was one of the only XD’s that I actually liked.

I have one and really like it. Bought it back in 2013 right after it came out. It was my main carry gun for years until the Hellcat came out. They make six round mid length mags too which make the grip almost perfect in my opinion. I carried it with the six round mag and the seven as a reload which isn’t all that much less than a 1911. It is surprisingly accurate for such a little gun and waaay easier to conceal than a full sized 1911.

For that price, if I didn’t already have one, I’d probably jump on it. Check to see if it’s post recall though. It should have a small roll pin visible in the grip safety itself.

1704638586252.png

IMO, the XD-S is a very good, dependable pistol "platform." I've trusted my and the Wonderful One's lives with one for many years, and couldn't be more satisfied. 9mm is my preferred round, so there are a few more rounds to depend on. I still (ordinarily) shoot mine very well; I just don't hedge about capacity, and always carry a spare. Cheers, and good luck!

xdm holds 9 or 13 and is the same size as the 9mm xdm just heavier
its a great little pocket carry or belt carry for long drives
same holster fits both
i have a 1st gen xd 9 service pistol that is the cats meow for out in the field, it has been dropped, flooded, mudded, bled on and has never left me wondering if it will work
i flubbed up the barrel with a bad load and Springfield put in a new barrel and did deep inspection to make sure it was perfect when they sent it back, i think i paid shipping both ways

when i see them used, i do a tear down and look at how well its clean and for any hidden issues
i have found they hold up very well in real world use

Attachments

• springfield xd subcompact 45acp (2).jpg
    springfield xd subcompact 45acp (2).jpg
    886.5 KB · Views: 32
  • springfield 9mm service (2).jpg
    springfield 9mm service (2).jpg
    1,002.9 KB · Views: 29
I also have an XDs gen 1 .45acp. I have a couple 5 round mags but I carry with a 6 round mag in the gun ( with one chambered of course ) and carry a 7 round mag as a spare.

I also will say this about my gen 1 . The trigger was absolutely terrible in stock form. I had a PRP spring and sear kit installed and it is still running at close to 6 lb pull weight. I don't have the rounded striker safety though.

I have a Gen1 XD-S also. A good back-up to my two larger XD .45s.

Never heard of a recall but mine runs fine.
Does yours have the roll pin in the grip safety (see pic a little ways up)? If it does, it’s post-recall…

The recall came out a year or so after the initial release; some XDS’s had an issue with doubles or triples when the trigger was pressed.

The original triggers were quite nice…really clean break for an XD series. What came back…wasn’t as nice, with the creepy, mushy break typical in the XD and XDM’s.

Does yours have the roll pin in the grip safety (see pic a little ways up)? If it does, it’s post-recall…

The recall came out a year or so after the initial release; some XDS’s had an issue with doubles or triples when the trigger was pressed.

The original triggers were quite nice…really clean break for an XD series. What came back…wasn’t as nice, with the creepy, mushy break typical in the XD and XDM’s.
I checked - no pin.

i find my trigger in the 1st gen service pmm is very smooth, not sure how much of force it takes, but is VERY smooth and you know right as its going engage . matter of fact my xd is one of my favorites for long range day its concise and never changes even after its nice and hot.

my xdm is imo stiffer in pull and smooth of application.

Why? There's nothing wrong with it.
I thought the same thing till I got mine to double and triple. It takes a weird set of circumstances to do it but just the fact the gun has the possibility to go full auto when you least expect it was enough for me to send mine in.

In certain circumstances the pre recall grip safety arm can depress the sear and allow the pistol to slam fire uncontrollably. When this first came out I was against sending mine in since I thought the chances of it happening were so slim. But then I thought about what could happen if the one time it did it was in a self defense scenario and innocent parties were hurt or worse and it was proven I knew about the mechanical deficiencies with my firearm and choose to ignore it.

Since this issue some how involves firing the pistol without depressing the grip safety, which I don't know how that could happen unless someone was screwing off, since the grip safety is always depressed when the pistol is gripped properly.

Since I always grip a pistol with a grip safety properly, XD-S or others, its never been a problem so I'm not worried about it.

Back