testtest

Why are gun store employees obsessed with Smith and Wesson or Glock for handguns?

I wouldn't be too hard on the employees. I had to take retail jobs from time to time when I was younger, and it's a beating of a job at any big box store. Chances are the giant chains put the people back there with very little training, and a lot of them are honestly trying to do a good job. As for why they recommend S&W revolvers and Glocks, its because people seem to like them and they don't see many unhappy customers returning to send the guns in for warranty work.

I'm not saying we should give a 100% pass to big box stores who don't train their staff, but I think anyone looking to buy a gun should have done at least some research first. I learned long ago that trusting a salesperson's advice for any major purchase is a pretty good way to get a crappy deal.

I wouldn't be too hard on the employees. I had to take retail jobs from time to time when I was younger, and it's a beating of a job at any big box store. Chances are the giant chains put the people back there with very little training, and a lot of them are honestly trying to do a good job. As for why they recommend S&W revolvers and Glocks, its because people seem to like them and they don't see many unhappy customers returning to send the guns in for warranty work.

I'm not saying we should give a 100% pass to big box stores who don't train their staff, but I think anyone looking to buy a gun should have done at least some research first. I learned long ago that trusting a salesperson's advice for any major purchase is a pretty good way to get a crappy deal.

It's true. For me and you it's true. 90% of what I buy these days is online, after researching and agonizing sometimes for months. People new to it really don't know what they're researching. Who do you trust? Guys on the internet? The woman who's ex is stalking her. Where does she go? What are the odds the guy at her local LGS is going to take the time to point her in the right direction rather than just sell her that pink Ruger in the case?

Back