testtest

Why are gun store employees obsessed with Smith and Wesson or Glock for handguns?

I confess I'm pretty new to this whole scene, as I'm learning what I can everyday...

I went gun shopping the other day (I didn't have time to rent and try them, so I didn't make a purchase).

I noticed that all of the gun store employees wanted to sell me smith and wesson, or glock, when it came to a handgun. I even had one guy tell me springfield wasn't reliable.
I don't understand... as all of my "gun buddies" love springfield.

Just curious as to everyone's thoughts on this.
Side note: I think I'm discovering firearms are a bit like beekeeping - everyone has their own little preferences.

One assumes that when you go into a gun store that the people working behind the counter are knowledgeable and that is often not the case. I suspect they were directing to Smith and Wesson or Glock because that is what most new gun buyers are asking for. An alarming amount of new gun buyers are woefully unprepared when they go into a gun store for the first time.

So right. Everyone has their fanboys... for what I have seen, everything is going fast at my two local stores, but what they keep getting more of us SW and glocks. I am a novice and don’t know about the manufacturing capabilities but seeing the shipments come in week after week (and you should see SW stock) is impressive.

in the end, hold the firearm, shoot them, and get what feels right to you. Or in my case, get several. I love my springfields but I have a few other brands (shhh)

It’s a journey. Have to date a little while :)

good luck and stay safe.

Guns sales is like any other sales. Employees have focus items. I know several local gun shops that get manufacturer incentives for selling Xxxx number of their units.

whether its cars, boats, boots, clothes or guns, makers will due what they can to have sales “focus” on their product

Guns sales is like any other sales. Employees have focus items. I know several local gun shops that get manufacturer incentives for selling Xxxx number of their units.

whether its cars, boats, boots, clothes or guns, makers will due what they can to have sales “focus” on their product
Agreed as well how the gun store makes off sales of certain manufacturers. Gun stores are in business to make money and they will push the brands that they make more money on. If I was looking the last thing I would ask is what do you recommend, you are opening the door for them to only show you a product they make the most profit on.

Ask to hold many different kinds of handguns. If you like the feel of a Glock, a S&W, CZ, Colt, Taurus, or whatever, then you can start to narrow down the kind of handgun you'd like to buy. Don't let the clerks influence you. Everyone is different and handguns come in a lot of different shapes, sizes, calibers, and configurations. Try a lot of them until you find one that feels right in your hand, believe me, you'll know it.

I agree with what has already been posted here. My LGS has a majority of Smith & Wesson's. In fact it's the only AR brand they currently have. Not many Glocks or Sprinfields at my LGS. I'm guessing the clerks are just trying to move stock which they have a lot of. Luckily my LGS's sales people don't push a manufacturer over another and really don't badmouth any manufacture they have or don't have.

You will find most big box stores, the sales person has no ideal on guns.....period....now at a real dedicated gun shop, most of the reps are actually gun guys and some will have personal preference, that’s fine, but it’s up to you, the buyer on what you want to get, not the sales rep, just my opinion.

I confess I'm pretty new to this whole scene, as I'm learning what I can everyday...

I went gun shopping the other day (I didn't have time to rent and try them, so I didn't make a purchase).

I noticed that all of the gun store employees wanted to sell me smith and wesson, or glock, when it came to a handgun. I even had one guy tell me springfield wasn't reliable.
I don't understand... as all of my "gun buddies" love springfield.

Just curious as to everyone's thoughts on this.
Side note: I think I'm discovering firearms are a bit like beekeeping - everyone has their own little preferences.
may have to do with dealer incentives on sales

Unfortunately the days when the guy behind the counter was knowledgeable about guns are pretty much gone. They sell what they have surplus of. Period.
That said, there’s worse things than a gun store moron talking you into a Glock or a S&W.

You will find most big box stores, the sales person has no ideal on guns.....period....now at a real dedicated gun shop, most of the reps are actually gun guys and some will have personal preference, that’s fine, but it’s up to you, the buyer on what you want to get, not the sales rep, just my opinion.
I tend to ask the older sales clerks a question if I have one. Even if I'm at the local Lowe's, I'll seek out those guys in electrical, etc, before I will the much younger person working in a dept. Yep, I'm age biased I guess. 🤔

Everyone has their favorites. I'd totally recommend a S&W revolver if I worked at a store. I have a couple ranging from 40+ years old to six months old. Everything about them is right. That said, people should definitely handle them and try them first.

Working in retail is not a high paying job. LGS used to have gun enthusiasts working in them who might or might not be as knowledgable as they thought they were, but very few had expert knowledge in all areas of the shooting sports. So, if you were wanting to get into trap shooting, it would be very unlikely that everyone behind the counter would be a trap shooting expert. The same would be true for self defense experts, or big game hunters.

Big box stores are often worse. Some like Scheels do have staff that are somewhat gun knowledgeable but most are far from experts.

Part of the problem is you waltz into the store with more money to spend than they make in a week or even a month to ask questions about guns they can't afford and have little or no experience with. It is one thing to ask about a Ruger 10/22, but quite another matter to ask about a Volquartsen Superlite which the store has never stocked and the clerk has never seen or fired. They are both .22LR semi automatics, but the price difference pretty much guarantees the clerk is not going to explain the other differences. Chances are, the store has never stocked the one but has had plenty of others go through the store. Which one is the clerk likely to recommend?

Then there is the distributor issue. A gun store may have favored status with a particular distributor and will favor the guns that distributor sells because of credit terms or shipping terms or even volume discounts. Some very good guns are not even available through distributors which creates extra hassle for the gun store.

Finally, there is, as others have correctly noted, the issue of opinions. Trap shooters are mostly social people and talk quite a bit about guns for trapshooting. What you would find is that even the best shooters might not agree on brands. While most shoot over and unders , a good percentage of shooters shoot single barrels or unsingles, and a few shoot semi autos or pump guns. Sometimes that is economics but there can be other reasons as well. Part of the time, there is an area dealer that stocks one brand of trap guns and pushes them hard in his local area.

The same is true for handguns for self defense. I like Springfield Armory in part because the owners and I grew up in the same area, but after trying their long guns I liked their product. Initially, I wasn't big on their 1911s but when their XDs showed up I was a believer. Recently their Hellcat came out and now I'm really sold. I'm now very willing to try their 1911s but likely won't buy one as I have two custom ones already from a nationally recognized custom gunsmith.

Keep doing your homework and shoot everyone else's guns to find what works for you. Take all opinions with a grain of salt. Also remember that really experienced shooters can normally make almost any gun work pretty well for them. Then remember that what you really want to know is how reliable the gun is with the ammo you want to use and how well it "fits" you. Most guns are far more accurate than the shooter so unless you are shooting precision that should not even be a consideration other than matching the brand and type of ammo to the gun itself.

Back