testtest

Why I Carry with an Empty Chamber — Should You?

Great article Will! Even when you think this advice is heresy or against 99 percent of CCW instructions Condition 3 has definitely its place and is the safest way to carry. I also work in the medical-surgical field and I have already had multiple patients self injured after negligent discharge while carrying with one in the chamber. If you decide is for you just train your draw and racking while aiming often, and remember trigger discipline at all times. It is definitely worth considering.

I carry a Kimber Micro 9 with a MCarbo trigger kit- trigger pull with that kit is roughly 3.5lbs carried in a pocket holster or a cross draw bag. It is always an empty chamber with that trigger pull. I train 50 rounds per week minimum on that pistol. After firing 7 rounds, I’ll drop the empty mag, release the slide, insert a new mag- then rack the slide and fire again. That adds up to 350 to 400 racking cycles a year- the muscle memory is pretty foolproof and thanks to polishing the feed ramp and a really clean pistol, it feeds very consistently....
Do you practice the draw 1-handed?

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Why I Carry with an Empty Chamber — Should You?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/i-carry-with-an-empty-chamber-should-you/.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Why I Carry with an Empty Chamber — Should You?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/i-carry-with-an-empty-chamber-should-you/.

I am a firm believer in carrying with a round in the chamber. But I am also a strong believer in "you be you; I'll be me." So there is really no dispute here, in my mind. :)

BTW, I carry my Glock 48 MOS with Holosun 507k g in church in either my Phlster Skeleton or Tier 1 Concealment Axis Elite. My church has a 30.07 sign at the door (no open carry) which I take as tacit permission to carry concealed. :) (No special license required in Texas).

Even when I'm on stage singing as part of the worship team, I've had no one say anything about me printing or carrying.

Hi,

jeff-goldblum-ummm.gif

Oh, never mind.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

I'm with ya brother! I carry in condition 3 as well - that's how I was trained to carry a 1911 in USN Security an it works for me. As he said, if properly trained, you can charge around in your draw/presentation with NO decrease in presentation speed. AND - should I be disarmed by some stroke of bad timing, I'm the only one that knows there isn't a round chambered. That could buy me the precious split-seconds I need to regain the upper hand and disarm my assailant/rearm myself.

I think you have valid reasons for your carry decisions.

I have the infamous Sig P320 that keeps coming up on YouTube for having un-commanded discharges and there are opinions on both sides of that story but I carry everywhere humanly possible and am on the Armed Church Security Team so until we can get to the bottom of this I am not having one in the chamber as sad as that may seem. I love the P320 and it's the only gun I have so as mentioned in the article it's better than leaving it at home. We have only a small few of us on the team, small church anyway, so I cannot step aside for now. Sometimes I'm the only one.

I do welcome ALL opinions on the P320 issue.
Do you personally know anyone other than what you’ve seen on YouTube who have had firsthand experience with a P320 firing uncommanded? We the range visiting masses own the majority of the millions of P320s sold. Surely, based purely on those numbers we would be seeing incidents on a regular basis, but we don’t. Wear a good holster, don’t fiddle with your gun or drop it in you handbag and you will not end up on YouTube.

I agree with those that say whatever a person is comfortable with and trains accordingly. Personally, my EDC is either a Sig P365XL, chambered, and when I need something a little smaller and thinner for deeper concealment, my Springfield XDS Mod. 2... also chambered. I'm in Minnesota where we can Open Carry, but I very seldom have. Most days I carry the Sig OWB with an open or loose shirt for cover. For deeper concealment, it is the XDS IWB or when I know I'm going to be seated, it goes on the ankle (that one's dry fire training). I've been carrying this way for several years. I try to be conscious of not printing or displaying, but I know at times I have, and have only been asked about it or had someone obviously notice a couple times. I carry everywhere legal in Minnesota and have had no issues. On the humorous side though, I did have a young grandson announce at a family function once that "Grandpa carries a gun"!

"Leanred" to handle a firearm when I was 10, then while a BoyScout (before they went LGBQT++++), then as Special Ops team member in the military, then as a Conservation Peace Officer, NOPE, I will agree to disagree here, I always carry in such a fashion to NOT be a situational Awareness guy, but the Situational Recognition guy, with my skill set, as with many others in my box, I will always have one ready to send into the bad guy with the gun. Respectfully speaking.

"Leanred" to handle a firearm when I was 10, then while a BoyScout (before they went LGBQT++++), then as Special Ops team member in the military, then as a Conservation Peace Officer, NOPE, I will agree to disagree here, I always carry in such a fashion to NOT be a situational Awareness guy, but the Situational Recognition guy, with my skill set, as with many others in my box, I will always have one ready to send into the bad guy with the gun. Respectfully speaking.
Congratulations. . .

I think you have valid reasons for your carry decisions.

I have the infamous Sig P320 that keeps coming up on YouTube for having un-commanded discharges and there are opinions on both sides of that story but I carry everywhere humanly possible and am on the Armed Church Security Team so until we can get to the bottom of this I am not having one in the chamber as sad as that may seem. I love the P320 and it's the only gun I have so as mentioned in the article it's better than leaving it at home. We have only a small few of us on the team, small church anyway, so I cannot step aside for now. Sometimes I'm the only one.

I do welcome ALL opinions on the P320 issue.
All fake news, especially on YouTube, it’s all set up just to get the most views and likes,

Typically I carry with a round in the chamber. Except at church. Being as I am a sort of "New York reload" for the Safe Team (which if I were I would carry with a round in the chamber) my threat assessment is that it is highly unlikely that I will be in a situation where someone grabs my arm (e.g. at the filling station at night), or I don't have the 1 second needed to rack a round into the chamber.

I'd rather live with that than the possibility of an unintentional discharge freaking out 500 people.

Pocket carry with a holstered Sig P 365. Besides, this is Texas where even the most nervous Karen or Kevin realize most of the people around them are carrying.

Interesting that two examples he gives - hugged by Aunt Minnie and showing his gun reaching for the peas - don't make a damn bit of difference whether or not a round is chambered.

I carry Glocks chambered. I don't carry my Hellcat Pro with a 3.5 trigger. Too much of a good thing. It's an office and reading chair gun.

Back